General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Pros vs Cons of Window Tinting

Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Pros vs Cons of Window Tinting

Hello!

I am a new Fit owner! I have a 2010 Milano Red Sport and I love it! This is actually my very first vehicle too so I'm really excited about owning it.

One of the first things I want to do is add tint, however I know almost nothing about this.

In my city it gets pretty sunny (lots of daylight) in the summer months, and very little sunlight during the winter. My biggest fear is that the window tint will impair my night time driving, however right now this is just a misconception I have. What do you guys think about this?

My list of pros vs cons:

Pro:
Aesthetically appealing
Privacy
Comfort

Con:
Driving impairment (??)
Affect AM/FM, Cellphone, GPS reception (??)

Please let me know how tint affects your night time driving, and if there is anything else I should consider.For the record I am contemplating 20% tint for just the back half, and possibly 35% for the front side windows. I found a guy through kijiji who gave me a quote for 5 windows for $150. This seems to be a good deal.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by damatick
Con:
Affect AM/FM, Cellphone, GPS reception (??)
First, AM/FM reception should be fine regardless of anything. The antenna is on your roof.

Now, if you are getting metallic film tint, you might have an issue with cell phone and gps. But that's only for metallic film, not dyed film or ceramic.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Pros:
- To some degree (just based on exp. no lab tests), contributes to keeping the car cooler inside.
- Saves your interior from fading faster.
- Yes, the bright glare of the sun is definitely diminished for your passengers.

Con:
- Bubbles may surface as your tint ages. So getting a good installer is important. Getting a warranty against bubbles would be great.

And lastly, NO, the tint does not impair night driving at all (from my experience and of course depends on how dark your tint is and if you tint the front driver and passenger side. 20% should be no prob.

I've experienced (extreme) driving cars tinted all the way around including windshield (definitely not in the US). CRAZY! Definitely was a challenge driving at night. Some would have peep hole cutouts for the side view mirrors.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:15 PM
dko
i have 20 on back and rears and 35 on fronts. no problems at night whatsoever. i ran 20% all around on the UV glass in my RX8 and had no problems either.

as previously said, this isn't a place to save $50. have it done by a good installer the first time or waste your money and have it done by a good installer after the first tint job goes south on you.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Certain tints are illegal in certain states.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Tint is a great help in SoCal. Having a sun visor and tint, temps can hit 105F+ and you'll still be able to get in and drive vs. having your face melted away when you don't have it when you open the door.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:37 PM
dko
Originally Posted by EpilepticFit
Certain tints are illegal in certain states.
true, google tint laws in your state and check multiple sources. also keep in mind laws do change. in Illinois it switched from 35% all around to allowing 20% on the rears. although i had 20% all around before the change and never got a ticket for it - luck of the draw i guess.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Window tint is a must most of the year in Texas so I had the darkest tint allowed by law installed on my car by the dealership I got my car from.. It was $200 and guaranteed for life. They would no tint the upper part of the windshield so I ordered tint from JC Whitney that can be removed and reused in case it had to come off for state inspection... I extended it much lower than is legal have yet to be denied an inspection sticker or hassled by the law... I have to lower the windows at night when looking for an address on an unlit porch or curb but that is something I became used to doing years ago when delivering newspapers in other cars and trucks with window tint so it is no big thing.... I found that using Mugen style vent visors shade the window surface when the sun is over head and that it has helped more than I expected in keeping the interior cool.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:17 PM
I echo all the previous comments ... valuable advice from different posts

In addition, in certain parts of Canada, it is illegal to tint the front windshield and the front windows. You may want to check your local laws

I have asked my Honda dealer to recommend a professional installer who recommended the level of tint that will not impair night driving.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:34 PM
I totally agree with dko, don't skimp on a tint install. Botched tint jobs scream ghetto to me. You mention getting different tint levels in front vs rear. Plenty do it and like it. I think cars look better with even tint front and rear.

Another plus, if you think you may ever get Clazzio seat covers, the leather/pvc should stay much cooler to the touch on sunny days.

Other than botched installs, I don't know many people who regret getting tint.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Do you all think the tint will delay the smash and grab thieves as the film will hold all the window pieces together ? or no difference at all.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Ric01
Do you all think the tint will delay the smash and grab thieves as the film will hold all the window pieces together ? or no difference at all.
Unlikely. However, it does reduce a thief's ability to tell what's in your car.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Ric01
If a thief is willing and has a tool to smash through the window, they'll be able to get through the tint. I have seen the claim that the tint is marginally safer in an accident since it'll hold all the glass together. But since auto glass is designed to shatter into harmless pieces, that's not a major advantage.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Sounds like the response is unanimously in favor of getting tint.

I called several places in my city and got quotes from 150-250. The guy who quoted 150 said the tint is from a company called "global window films". Does the brand really make a difference or is it pretty much the same?

Old 07-30-2011, 12:32 PM
I quickly googled "global window films" and read some reviews. So far, no negative stuff... maybe you can also google and do your due diligence.

Getting good tint film is one thing but "the guy" must also have the experience to perform the installation..... we can have top class good kitchen ingredients but in the hands of a bad cook... well... we know the result

Unless you know "the guy", it may be good to get some references. It is a super frustrating experience if you see bubbles start to appear like rashes on your body after the warranty period is over

Old 07-30-2011, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't been following the progress of the window tinting industry but back in the day, 3M was the standard. Yes the brand is relevant but I'd look more into the warranty side.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:39 PM
If you see the company has been in business for years and give a lifetime warranty what more can you ask, I paid less then $200.00 for mine all around, 6" on windshield

Old 07-30-2011, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
All Pros as far as I am concerned-especially keeping car cooler in hot weather & using less A/C. Only Con I can think of is forgetting you have the tint and using an ammonia base window cleaner.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
I use distilled water on mine whenever I get around to cleaning them... It has been so hot outside this summer that you have to be quick to wipe off the water before it evaporates..

Old 07-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Lol, yes the ammonia based cleaner would kill the life time warranty,sooznd looks like you have several things i need but haven't got around to installing, good job

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pros vs Cons of Window Tinting