Fit keeps stalling out!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Fit keeps stalling out!

I have a 2008 Fit Sport (automatic) with almost 90,000 miles

When I take off for work in the morning, it is really shaky and stalls out when I am driving through the neighborhood. Usually stalls out once or twice. After about a mile it runs perfect. It has been happening every morning for the last couple of weeks. Doesn't matter if I let it warm up for a few minutes before taking off. I took it to the dealership twice and they "couldn't recreate the problem". I took it back there again today.

Anyone else having the same problem, or know what it could be?

Old 01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Is the check engine light illuminated? If so, did they check the codes. I would almost consider buying four new coil packs on the web and installing them yourself. I'm not a big fan of just throwing parts at a car without really knowing but it really sounds like coil packs and it wouldn't be unheard of at that mileage.

Good Luck

Old 01-27-2011, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
happens to mine too, seems to be a common problem.

mine threw a Check Engine Light and I used the DIY to figure out what it was. It said misfire in cyl. 4. so I did the spark plugs to see if it would help with the issue. No CEL yet, but still having the studdering/stalling issue during cold mornings. I've ordered a new coil pack from bernardi for ~$65 + shipping to replace in my 4th cylinder. hopefully this will fix it

it seems that we've got crappy coilpacks with our fits...someone was able to replicate the stalling/bogging down issue by spraying a mist of water at each coil pack. ended up needing to replace 2 of em, so he just replaced em all.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Try doing a search for valve adjustment. I've read when valves are out of adjustment some of the symptoms you describe are possible.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:55 AM
check for engine related issues like fuel pressure and charge on the battery

Old 02-25-2011, 05:35 PM
I was in the same situation as you, with a 2007 sport auto and ~90000 miles also.

You NEED to do a valve adjustment or have a mechanic do it as soon as possible. That will cure the stalling/shaking symptom. Don't leave it alone for too long because some of the valves are too tight and will be burned or mushroom'd... meaning more money to fix later.

Originally Posted by kschenk27
I have a 2008 Fit Sport (automatic) with almost 90,000 miles

When I take off for work in the morning, it is really shaky and stalls out when I am driving through the neighborhood. Usually stalls out once or twice. After about a mile it runs perfect. It has been happening every morning for the last couple of weeks. Doesn't matter if I let it warm up for a few minutes before taking off. I took it to the dealership twice and they "couldn't recreate the problem". I took it back there again today.

Anyone else having the same problem, or know what it could be?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sleep_DEPRIVED
I was in the same situation as you, with a 2007 sport auto and ~90000 miles also.

You NEED to do a valve adjustment or have a mechanic do it as soon as possible. That will cure the stalling/shaking symptom. Don't leave it alone for too long because some of the valves are too tight and will be burned or mushroom'd... meaning more money to fix later.

how much (ballpark) does it cost to have a mechanic do a valve adjustment?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 PM
I was quoted $120 by my long-time mechanic to do the valve adj. But you have to leave the car there for at least half a day to let the engine cool down, and i had to go to school, so i went home and did it myself few days later.

It's not hard to do the adjustment but i was scared. I read the instructions sooo many times that i could recite it verbatim...lol... it took me 2 hrs total to do adj and recheck it several times. you should try to do it yourself.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:39 PM
I would like to add that i thought the problem was with the coils too, and i bought 4 new coils to try and fix the cold stalling/hesitation (a VERY expensive way to do thing...lolz)

BUT the problem still persisted after i replaced ALL the coils... there goes my $300...

That's when i did more research and figured out that i needed to do a valve adjustment...

The moral of the story is: don't try to fix the problem by simply replacing the part(s)... look for the root cause of the problem....

Old 03-07-2011, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sleep_DEPRIVED
I was quoted $120 by my long-time mechanic to do the valve adj. But you have to leave the car there for at least half a day to let the engine cool down, and i had to go to school, so i went home and did it myself few days later.

It's not hard to do the adjustment but i was scared. I read the instructions sooo many times that i could recite it verbatim...lol... it took me 2 hrs total to do adj and recheck it several times. you should try to do it yourself.
i wish there was a nice DIY here to do it... i might try it

Old 03-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi guys,
I just filed a report with the National Traffic Safety Administration.
This is where you go to ask that a recall be made. There is no guarantee that it will happen but the chances get better with every report made. Please call them with you stutter issue and lets at least try to get a re call going.
you can call in a report at 888-327-4236

Old 03-17-2011, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Remember when Honda recommended valve adjustments every 15K? Then it was every 30K i think. What's the recommendation for the fit? Doesn't the manual recommend having a tech listen to them? What does that mean exactly? I guess if there too quiet then it's time for an adjustment.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by willy65000
Remember when Honda recommended valve adjustments every 15K? Then it was every 30K i think. What's the recommendation for the fit? Doesn't the manual recommend having a tech listen to them? What does that mean exactly? I guess if there too quiet then it's time for an adjustment.
the recommended interval is every "30k miles or when it is too loud" after 100k miles.

in other words, Honda tells you to only check and if necessary adjust the valves when the car is 100k miles and every 30k miles afterward.

But according to the schedule maintenance, we should check the clearance every 24000 miles. Per: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A...000JBAT05.HTML

Last edited by Sleep_DEPRIVED; 04-05-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-05-2011, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
mine only had 35k on it when i needed it done...

Old 04-16-2011, 12:25 PM
having this same problem on my 07 base model auto matic. its fine if you let it warm up. but if it is cold it will stall or stutter. also a lack of power. seems to be fine after the little cold lght goes out. i will have to look into the valve adjustment. i would also love to see a diy on this

Old 04-16-2011, 01:29 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i will be doing my valves very soon so i will put up a diy if there are that many people in need.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Im having a stalling problem as well. It was normal when i start my car in the morning, i have a vafc in my car, it said 14.6v once my car is started, after 15-30 mins of drive i noticed the voltage dropped to 12.6v and idle is rough, then stalled. Car can start right away but once the is started there is some burning smell coming out of the vent. Anyone know what is the problem?

Last edited by feifei; 07-04-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Stall in slow left turn

We have a 2009 Honda Fit. Four times in the past six months it has stalled in a left turn into a driveway (so you're really slowing down at that point) while going over a bump. Everything shuts down. Engine, dashboard lights. Everything. The last time we were turning left into a driveway entrance with a bump from a busy road and while stalled there was on-coming traffic. Not a very happy experience. It seems if you open both front doors and give it a minute you can start it again, but that's a pretty gimmicky thing to have to do. Honda Canada can't find anything wrong. Does anyone have any words of advice?
Thanks for anything, folks.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by concernedinahonda
We have a 2009 Honda Fit. Four times in the past six months it has stalled in a left turn into a driveway (so you're really slowing down at that point) while going over a bump. Everything shuts down. Engine, dashboard lights. Everything. The last time we were turning left into a driveway entrance with a bump from a busy road and while stalled there was on-coming traffic. Not a very happy experience. It seems if you open both front doors and give it a minute you can start it again, but that's a pretty gimmicky thing to have to do. Honda Canada can't find anything wrong. Does anyone have any words of advice?
Thanks for anything, folks.
I'm not a mechanic nor a Honda expert but your post caught my eye. I've had my share of cars and maintenance issues. Very interesting. My inclination would be something electrically related that gets exposed when turning and hitting a bump.

Triggers: bump, left turn
Guess: electrical short or open caused by bump - check battery post/terminal for tightness, movement; body ground wire, battery terminal connection to ground; loose cable connection; wiring harness for burn marks, insulation breaks/exposed to body ground; wires out of place around front suspension areas...

Only thing I could think of that relates to opening the doors would be your dome light switch; maybe check that too; dome light working?

Try to do a visual first for any thing obvious, something out of place, signs of spark marks (shorting), loose connector on body ground strap (open).

If still under warranty, then maybe you can have your dealer do an electrical check for open and shorts - not easy to trace either one unless obvious. Not an easy one... Good luck!

Old 08-13-2011, 05:51 PM
re left turn stall

Subie, thanks for your quick response. We've just had the Fit back from an overhaul at Honda and things seem much tighter, so perhaps that will do the trick. Funny, they asked about the dome light, too. Unfortunately, in dire situations you don't think to look around for that.
I'll check the things you suggest and will keep your reply as a future checklist.
Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fit keeps stalling out!