1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Dies when cold

Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Cool Dies when cold

Hello,

A new problem just cropped in the last couple of weeks: My 2008 Fit Sport wants to die when the engine is cold. Starts/idles ok, but will die when I press the clutch after moving down the road until the engine warms up. Runs fine after that. Does not idle quite as smooth as it used to when cold. Car has 156k on it. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Thanks!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by heuhus
Hello,

A new problem just cropped in the last couple of weeks: My 2008 Fit Sport wants to die when the engine is cold. Starts/idles ok, but will die when I press the clutch after moving down the road until the engine warms up. Runs fine after that. Does not idle quite as smooth as it used to when cold. Car has 156k on it. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Thanks!
It could be that you need new spark plugs, or might have water in the fuel and need to add some HEET to the fuel... One common problem that occurs is that the coil packs will go bad.. If you haven't had to replace them by now you are way over due to have this problem.. Unfortunately the check engine light doesn't always come on and an OBD2 code reader doesn't always pick up the problem but most of the time it will.. I would start with putting HEET in the tank to dry out the fuel by absorbing the water if any and replace the spark plugs... You can disconnect the wires to the coils one at a time and see if you can notice a change in the way it idles.. If when you remove a wire from one that has no effect on the idle you have located a bad one... Most of the time people have just gone ahead and replaced the plugs and coils and adjust the valves at the same time if it has been awhile since it has been done.. Quite a few people that replaced one coil had another one or two go bad within a few days of replacing one or more... I'm pleased and impressed that you have as many miles as you do on your car. In have had mine since July 2006 and only have just under 41000 miles on it.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Most likely related to the MAF. 1) When you start it cold where does it idle? 2) After it warms up where and how doe it idle?

Plugs might also need changing at that mileage. Injectors could be fouled. Bad fuel could have done it. 156K miles clouds the issues and increases the things that might be wrong.

Another thing to check is the Engine Coolant Sensor. If it's malfunctioning it will mess with the Air/Fuel mix.

No CheckEnigineLight lit up? Checking for 'historic' codes might tell the story. CEL will trip w/ current codes but intermittent codes remain in history. A good diagnostic is always better than throwing parts at unknown problems.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Most likely related to the MAF. 1) When you start it cold where does it idle? 2) After it warms up where and how doe it idle?

Plugs might also need changing at that mileage. Injectors could be fouled. Bad fuel could have done it. 156K miles clouds the issues and increases the things that might be wrong.

Another thing to check is the Engine Coolant Sensor. If it's malfunctioning it will mess with the Air/Fuel mix.

No CheckEnigineLight lit up? Checking for 'historic' codes might tell the story. CEL will trip w/ current codes but intermittent codes remain in history. A good diagnostic is always better than throwing parts at unknown problems.
Yeah, I would have added all of what you said if my wife hadn't woke up griping about me not going asleep again.... I would be lost without my scan gauge to let me know immediately when a code is thrown..

Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 AM
I only saw your post after I hit post on mine. Bad fuel could very well be part of it and the injectors certainly would benefit with the HEET as well. In the old days it was always the coil/points if an engine had rough cold starts and ran better when warmed up.

Sleep is good. I get 8hrs every day, just never know which hours it'll be...

Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Dies when cold

Thanks to you all for the helpful responses. I am trying a little Heet first. Also looking for a cheaper alternative to Autozone for coils-$129 ea is a bit steep for my budget. Can someone tell me the correct plug gap? Thanks in advance!!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by heuhus
Also looking for a cheaper alternative to Autozone for coils-$129 ea is a bit steep for my budget.
For cheaper coils, I like RockAuto Auto Parts. Personally, I've had good luck with them. Your car 08 Fit: coils are around $45.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Electrode Gap
Standard (New): 1.2-1.3mm (0.047-0.051 in)

Do not adjust the gap of iridium tip plugs; replace
the spark plug if the gap is out of specification.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Replace the plug at the specified interval or when the
center electrode is rounded. Use only the listed
spark plugs.

Spark Plugs
NGK: IZFR6K13
DENSO: SKJ20DR-M13

Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks!

Thanks for your input!