General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Dog Friendly?

Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Dog Friendly?

Do people find the Fit to be dog friendly? One of the biggest reasons I'm interested in it is that the seats fold down very flat, and have no clearance between the folded seats and the front seats.

Ultimately, I want to get two German Shepherds, and I'm curious to know if anyone else out there has similarly-sized dogs, and how the fit works to transport them around.

My overall hope is to be able to use the fit to transport one or two mid-to-large-sized dogs on day trips to outdoorsy locales, and if other people's dogs seem comfortable in the back.

(I know that there isn't much room with the back seats up, but there's just me, so I don't have to worry about carrying people + dogs. Just dogs).

Old 03-31-2012, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
My lab and Weimaraner fit in the back just fine with the seats folded down.Plenty of room for them both to lay down and sleep for the majority of the ride. I just recommend putting a blanket or tarp down because dog claws will destroy the carpet in the car.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks! They sound about the same size. I thought it looked like there was plenty of room for a couple dogs to lay down in, but I was looking for firsthand experience.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pattyobrien3
Thanks! They sound about the same size. I thought it looked like there was plenty of room for a couple dogs to lay down in, but I was looking for firsthand experience.
The lab is about 3.5 feet tall at the shoulder and weighs 120 lbs. The Weimaraner is about 3.65 feet tall at the shoulder and weighs 105 lbs. They aren't small unless compared to a great dane lol. Should be plenty of room for a couple of average sized Shepards.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Do your dogs get in/out of the car pretty easily? The back hatch and side doors looked like they were low enough for a dog to hop up with no problem.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 PM
And yeah, my parent's shepherds weigh in at about 70 - 90 lbs. So if those guys fit in, I imagine some little ol' shepherds would be happy in the back.

I can almost see them now!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pattyobrien3
Do your dogs get in/out of the car pretty easily? The back hatch and side doors looked like they were low enough for a dog to hop up with no problem.
Hercules(the taller one) steps in through the hatch. Danny (the shorter one) prefers the back door (I think he thinks he's in a seat and not the back though lol)

Old 03-31-2012, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Of course it is!

Honda Dog

Old 04-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Have you seen the honda element friendly dog package? Comes with a ramp.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:25 AM
My two English Bulldogs love the new Fit we bought them. I like the fact that the rear access is rather low. Makes it easy to get in and out. No gap between the folded rear seat and front seats make it super dog friendly. I recommend getting the rear bumber applique. Super easy to install.

Honda Fit Rear Bumper Applique 2009-2012.

You can get it at your Honda dealer parts department no problem.

I am having a real issue with hair all over the place. In the SUV we used to have it was contained in the back. Looking to get some Clazzios seat covers myself to make cleaning easier.

Honda Fit - Honda Fit 09+ - Honda Fit Clazzio Seat Covers - Bean Garage

And finally the front seats are close enough together that they can stick their wet noses in there to sneak a peek at what is going on up front but they can`t get through!!!

And don't forget to engage the safety button on the left front armrest to prevent accidental lowering of windows.

And ....the cargo area cover over the spare tire / repair kit is flimsy. You might want to reinforce that with a cargo tray. Also available from Honda. I put a big blanket over it and they don't mind it at all. The rubber lip to the Honda OEM cargo tray is quite pliable and soft. Dog friendly!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....ectorid=229529

Its funny because everything I purchase I always have my two bulldogs (Henry and Victoria) in mind. This includes vehicles and even the house we live in! We live in a dog friendly neighbourhood. I can even take them into Starbucks without a fuss. We also take dog friendly vacations. They are never left behind. And so it should be IMO.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 05-05-2012 at 04:40 AM. Reason: spelling....
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
We carry our Border Collie/Australian Cattle dog in a dog crate he enters by way of the rear passenger door.. There is plenty of room for a couple of sea bags and more.. There is no problem unloading the dog at rest stops when he needs to stretch his legs .. I give him a good brushing before he enters the crate to avoid hair getting on everything... My wife says I shed more than any of our dogs ever did.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:54 PM
i have 3 Pitbulls (2 full grown, 1 puppy) and the 2 adult dogs fit in the rear seat just fine when they're up, i have no need to put the seats down unless i'm putting their kennel in the pack to go to the dog park.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:06 PM
I got a corgi and he loves it but my seats attract a lot of hair...

Old 05-05-2012, 05:15 PM
i noticed how much the seats attract fur, especially since our dogs have very coarse hair and it just weaves itself into the seats fabric. I carry a roller to take the hair off, a vacuum just doesn't do the trick.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:55 AM
I've carried 2 whippets and a 100lbs Ridgeback (none can touch each other) while they lay on their beds on top of plywood over 5 rubbermaid containers loaded with gear. On the roof is often a cargo box and bikes but even that's changing with a roof tent and then bikes on the hitch. Poor fit! :-p

Old 05-06-2012, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by Jamy
The lab is about 3.5 feet tall at the shoulder and weighs 120 lbs. The Weimaraner is about 3.65 feet tall at the shoulder and weighs 105 lbs. They aren't small unless compared to a great dane lol. Should be plenty of room for a couple of average sized Shepards.
A 120lbs lab? Wow - biggest lab I've heard of. My Ridgeback, usually a much bigger dog than a lab, is 100lbs and he "bikes" with me nearly every day and is pure muscle. Even the Weimaraner sounds big. Mutants of the litter? :-)

Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 PM
I have 2 German shepherd males. A bit of a squeeze, but both fit fine without each on top of each other. They lay down opposite and go to sleep on rides. I lift up the two seats in the back against the trunk. That is where they lay.

Last edited by Robin858; 06-18-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Plenty of room for my German Shepherd. Two would be no problem. Ive tried both with the seats folded down, and magic seat cushions folded up. She prefers the former. The rear carpet, however, is a hair magnet and it does not vacuum or brush out. The seats do attract hair, but not as bad. I had a BMW with rare cloth seats and dog hair was very difficult to remove.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Here's my big Great Pyr in the back, he loves it.

Name:  4a6V3.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  235.9 KB

White fur, black interior... yeah. Fortunately it's very easy to clean out. Vacuums right up. The slobber he leaves everywhere though...

Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Nice pic of your pooch!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dog Friendly?