2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Which Sunshade should I get? (2 choices)

Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Which Sunshade should I get? (2 choices)

I'm trying to decide between these two sunshades
Reflector Sunshade - AutoSport Catalog
Ultraviolet Heat Shield - AutoSport Catalog

The "ultraviolet" one is made by Covercraft (I think). Not sure who makes the other one. They both look top quality. Only difference looks like that the Ultraviolet one comes in 2 pieces whereas the other comes in 1. Is having 2 pieces a positive thing?

anybody have experience with these? Can you comment on your experiences or recommend one? I have no problem paying more money if it means a better experience. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
i don't think it's rocket science.

The one piece might be less hassle to deal with 1 big doohickey rather then 2. The fit windshield is really big and squarish, so whatever you get is somewhat unwieldy.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by raytseng
i don't think it's rocket science.

The one piece might be less hassle to deal with 1 big doohickey rather then 2. The fit windshield is really big and squarish, so whatever you get is somewhat unwieldy.
Sure. This was my first reaction as well. But I'm sure Covercraft was aware of this and I assume made it 2 pieces for a reason. I was hoping to get some feedback from others who have used it.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
I have the HeatShield brand which is a one piece design that rolls up for storage. As others have said, we have a BIG windshield. This results in a shade that is takes some finesse installing and removing. Your passenger would be well advised to stay outside until you are finished, (otherwise you end up whacking her in the head with it). The heat shield itself does a very good job in shielding the interior. It also has little side window covers for added coverage. Also affords a little privacy if you need some make up time after hitting your passenger in the head. lol

From your picture, the one piece looks as if it folds. I don't know if this is any easier for storage and handling than the roll up version. When I have the shield rolled up, it actually takes up quite a bit of room. It's rolled up width is about 8" dia and almost as long as the storage space in back. I run a long bungee through it and lash it across the back of the back seats using the rear seat latch brackets. As far as the 2 piece design, maybe someone with first hand experience will chime in. In my opinion you still will have to deal with the size issue.

Below is the one I have. Got it from Amazon. The picture is a little deceiving in that it appears to be 2 pieces, but that center line is probably a crease in the material.

Last edited by Rampo; 07-05-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Rampo
Your passenger would be well advised to stay outside until you are finished, (otherwise you end up whacking her in the head with it).
hahahahahahahaaha made me cry laughing. Thanks!

Old 07-05-2012, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
My boyfriend still doesn't listen when I suggest he waits to get into my car if I've got my shade in place. I hit him with it all the time... but then I suspect he's at least a little masochistic, and not just because he lets me hit him with the sun shade. ~_^

Like Rampo, I got the one that rolls up and came from Amazon. I've been happy with it, and it's less expensive than both of those ones you linked at the beginning of the thread. It seems to be the popular shade on the forum.

At any rate, hopefully someone with experience with one of the shades you're interested in can weigh in, so you have some info about them to weigh against mine and Rampo's comments on this shade.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
I use one of these in my SUV. $10 on Amazon.
Amazon.com: Altus Platinum Magic Shade Jumbo Sunshade: Automotive

Works fine and folds up compact. I'll probably get one for the Fit as well.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:43 AM
I have the covercraft 2 piece. I didn't know it was 2 piece until after I bought it. I think being 2 piece helps it from sagging when it gets really hot in the middle of summer... I traded the 2012 fit for a civic so if anyone is interested in buying the covercraft let me know...It was only used 3 times on my 2012 so its like new condition.

Last edited by matt1357; 07-07-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
I just ordered the Heatshield, I'll let you know how it works for me

Old 07-18-2012, 09:56 AM
get whatever as long as it has suction cups. don't matter what mambo jambo crap they put on those shields if it don't have suction cups... it will frustrate you.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Old 07-24-2012, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
get whatever as long as it has suction cups. don't matter what mambo jambo crap they put on those shields if it don't have suction cups... it will frustrate you.
The one thing that irks me about the shade I've got is the flaps on the side to cover the little front side windows curl up and away from the windows because the shade's stored rolled. I may have to find a couple suction cups and sew 'em onto loops on the edges to hold them in place. Thanks for the idea!

Old 07-24-2012, 04:03 PM
I got the "Honda" sunshade from Bernardi, and while I'm glad I have one, seems a little pricey now. You just unroll it and you use the visors to hold it up. No suction cups, no flaps for the side windows. So, I guess my vote is meh...

Honda Sunshade (Most Models) - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

Old 07-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Rampo
Your passenger would be well advised to stay outside until you are finished, (otherwise you end up whacking her in the head with it).
LOL, speaking from experience I take it

Old 07-28-2012, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
My thoughts, It showed up yesterday and it is a pain the ass to put up BUT it gives the best coverage i've seen from a sun shield. I'll use it over and over, and I'll tell the pax duck or take the bus.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
I bought a generic jumbo size shade from Kmart, made by Auto Expressions- around $10 or so. Folds up acordian style. It is not a perfect "fit", but works fine for the few times I need it, when I cannot find parking under a tree.

gotta love the warning label
" never drive your vehicle with a sunshade in your windshield"

Old 07-29-2012, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone have the Honda one specific for the GE8?

Old 07-29-2012, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MSF1T
Does anyone have the Honda one specific for the GE8?
There is no real Honda part.

Your local dealership or dealership group may order a bunch and have the manufacturer print a logo or put a sticker on it.

So all these "custom" ones ARE specific to the car you order it for.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 PM
A guy who bought both contacted me and recommended the Reflector Sunshade (from Intro-Tech).

The CoverCraft shade has a better reflective side in that it is more durable and less prone to being torn or damaged.

BUT the CoverCraft version for the Honda Fit is two pieces and this is a royal PITA. The intro-tech shade is excellent quality overall, it just uses a less durable reflective side & it is ONE-PIECE. So because one piece trumps two pieces, Intro-Tech gets the nod here.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
I have a custom heatshield from Canvas Works. It is roll up, and included length for side windows.

Going on 3 years now, I love it. No problems.

As mentioned there is no way any cover for the Fit windshield is going to be anything but big. But I find the roll up pretty easy to deal with.

IMO big advantage is during winter months I can store it rolled up under the backseats. Out of sight, out of mind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Sunshade should I get? (2 choices)