General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit vs Elantra vs Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Fit vs Elantra vs Impreza

I have to get a new car in the next week or two (my old one spontaniously combusted, and now I've got 10 days in a rental). I'm strongly considering getting one of the following vehicles:
-2012-2013 Fit base w/ manual transmission
-2013 Elantra base w/ manual transmission
-2013 Impreza base w/ manual transmission

I'm leaning towards the Fit, but could do with some persuading.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:35 AM
from WI right?

if so... impreza, it's the logical choice.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM
I could be wrong but isnt the fit about 2-3 thousand cheaper then the other to? Thats something to consider, on top of I would trust a Hondas build quality and reliability way more then a Elentra. Theevilone makes a good point about the subby though....

Old 03-13-2013, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Tells you how the Fit is consider more upscale when people compare it to vehicles consider above the subcompact class. I would say all are good choices. The problem you may have with the Fit is finding one with a manual transmission and even then getting the color you want. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
not sure about the elantra, but i did test drive the latest impreza hatch. it's a smooth riding car, but since you're looking for MT, definitely get the '12 or '13 Fit MT.

the latest Fit MT's are so much quicker off the line and going into expressways.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 AM
The Fit also gets much better real worl fuel economy and I thought has a nicer interior.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
not sure about the elantra, but i did test drive the latest impreza hatch. it's a smooth riding car, but since you're looking for MT, definitely get the '12 or '13 Fit MT.

the latest Fit MT's are so much quicker off the line and going into expressways.
I test drove both the Fit and the Empreza GT (not what i wanted, but all they had in m/t) yesterday. I agree that the Fit feels a bit quicker and more responsive, and I barely know anything about driving stick.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by DavefromCA
I could be wrong but isnt the fit about 2-3 thousand cheaper then the other to? Thats something to consider, on top of I would trust a Hondas build quality and reliability way more then a Elentra. Theevilone makes a good point about the subby though....

than* the other two*?

Yes, the Fit is cheaper than either the Subaru or Hyundai by ~2K.

I really want to try out the Impreza. The AWD would be nice up here, though true snow-day driving conditions are pretty rare where I am. AWD is definitely a luxury not an imperative.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 AM
I would go with the fit.....it has more personality

Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 AM
I agree with Orange, the Fit is one of the few cars out there with a lot of character and is lots of fun to drive for a small inexpensive car.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 PM
I went with the FIT because the Elantra didn't have the hatchback that I wanted.
I need the height in the back and all it had was a regular trunk. I love it and am so glad I made the choice.

Last edited by LoveMyFit49; 03-14-2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: wanted to add info!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fastredshoes
than* the other two*?

Yes, the Fit is cheaper than either the Subaru or Hyundai by ~2K.

I really want to try out the Impreza. The AWD would be nice up here, though true snow-day driving conditions are pretty rare where I am. AWD is definitely a luxury not an imperative.
if your area is pretty good with snow removal, you can get a way with getting continental DWS tires. i tried it this winter on my '12 and did very well considering they are not snow tires. for deep snow 5" + it struggled, but areas with 2" or less, no issue at all.

my 09 is running bridgestone WS60 snow tires. those are very capable in deep snow.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:20 PM
If you go to a subaru forum then you'll get an impreza recommendation. Because you're on a FIT specific forum, of course most people here would push you to get a fit.

If you'll factor all variables, you know the practical and logical choice is the AWD impreza. For $2000, the obvious gain you get will be AWD capability and more powerful/capable engine.

Get FIT and sooner or later you'll be putting up a new threads like... what better summer/all-season/snow tire to get... what mods do I have to make to gain extra power... an impreza would fix that.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
I like my Fit but when my stepson and his wife wanted a new car I recommended they look at a Impreza since they live in the hills and have to deal with snow. What is good for me is not always good for others.

Last edited by cjecpa; 03-14-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 PM
I love my fit too but because work is very time specific all year round (medical field), I would not allow myself to have just an OK car for winter. I don't have time to play russian roulette with a FWD on deeper unplowed snow in residential areas, that's why I have a FIT and an AWD accord.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 PM
If I'll be in the market for just one car and because of the line of work I do and which state I live in... I would buy a subaru

Old 03-15-2013, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
I agree. I have a Miata to modify and drive in the summer on nice days. If I had to deal a lot with snow and bad weather I would of brought the Impreza no matter how much fun the Fit was to drive.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
after my 09 fit sport, i will probably get the CVT version impreza or the new accord sedan in AT.

my wife is the primary user and while i think the impreza's are pretty good cars vs the legacy wagon i use to have, im still more fond of honda's.

if im getting a subaru for myself, it will be a STI for sure... but then, im not in the market for a car right now....Q60 sucks.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fastredshoes
I have to get a new car in the next week or two (my old one spontaniously combusted, and now I've got 10 days in a rental). I'm strongly considering getting one of the following vehicles:
-2012-2013 Fit base w/ manual transmission
-2013 Elantra base w/ manual transmission
-2013 Impreza base w/ manual transmission

I'm leaning towards the Fit, but could do with some persuading.
Fit for practicality and utility.
Elantra if you want a quiet and more cushy drive.
Impreza if you want the sure-footed handling regardless of driving conditions.

I have all 3, just different model (older) years and none of which duplicates the character of the other. I can go on and on but the choice is yours. WI, I'd go for the Impreza if budget is not a concern... Just me.

As for an MT, though still not easy, your chances of getting one are probably best with a Fit. The only MT Imprezas I see a lot of are the STis and WRXs. Don't know about Elantras coming in MTs. I suppose you can order them to minimize the hassle of hunting around... Good luck!

Last edited by Subie; 03-15-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
I guess I could say a few words on this question since I own both the Fit and the Impreza.

Fit sucks in snow so if you lean toward buying this car then plan in buying some steel shoes and snow tires.

Impreza is all around a MUCH smoother riding car but it only gets like 26mpg. It feels like a tank after you drive the Fit for a week or two then jump in to it.

Neither handle all that well. The fit corners better but that's simply because the stock struts/springs are so stiff and the sidewalls are a bit smaller.

The subaru is much easier to get up to highway speeds as you would hope so with the engine being a bit larger. I don;t know or care what horsepower ratings are but you can tell the subaru motor/gearbox makes a few more torques than the fit.

If I were only limited to having one car, the Subaru would win.

Quick Reply: Fit vs Elantra vs Impreza