2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How often do you change your oil???

Old 03-20-2014, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
How often do you change your oil???

I change mine every 7,000 or 8,000 miles/4 to 5 months - usually when there is 30% of oil life left - I can't imagine going all the way to 10% - that seems like WAY too many miles!! Does anyone else make it this long?? 7,000 is already out of my comfort zone.

I am using conventional oil - no synthetic on a '09 MT - I drive moderately with most of my upshifts at about 3800rpm under normal acceleration. 100,000 on the odo.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
My MM hits zero roughly every 6k miles. The only time it went beyond that was during my road trip. At that time i changed it at 8k miles because i was stopped over at my sister's place in San Diego, but it still had 40% left. Considering i still had to drive through the United States, over to New York (not a direct route either), then finally back home around Chicago, i didn't think the 40% would cover it.

On the flip side, i neglected my last oil change and went 1k miles past zero on the MM (changed at 7k), and now its already at 10% and barely past 2k miles since that change!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 PM
I've generally gone to 0% or nearly so, depending on scheduling convenience and such, which has worked out to 11-12k miles for me. Every report I've seen here of people who have had oil analyses done has suggested that the MM estimates are pretty accurate and a little on the conservative side (i.e. you could safely go a little longer than it says).

Old 03-20-2014, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, DrewE thanks for the info. It just seems so long after having "every 3,000" drilled into me growing up. Good to know I can wait a little longer and actually let it get down to a lower oil life percentage! Some dealers I have spoken to still insist on every 5,000 regardless of the mm, while Honda itself has been very clear that I should wait till the mm indicates. I'll try and hold out a little longer this time around!!

Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
I try and do it when its at around 30% but I wouldn't be afraid to let it get to 15%. I don't drive much. I live in the city and want to keep the oil as clean as possible. I only change my oil about 2-3 times a year since I drive so little. I've been using el cheapo Napa filters. I'm gonna try switching to the Mobil 1 extended mileage ones I picked up on sale. What's 5$ more for a top end filter if it'll sit in my car for half a year...

Last edited by MTLian; 03-21-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
Any reason why you're using conventional oil?

Why not take advantage of a full synthetic? Which I'm fairly certain, is the only type of oil recommended for our GE fits? (0w-20)

First and formost a full synthetic will give you greater peace of mind with the longer oil change intervals, not to mention the added fuel economy a 0w-20 brings to the table.

I'm sure this may rustle a few jimmies, and opinions on oil can sometimes feel like you're sticking your dick in a bee hive, but when in doubt use the type of oil Honda recommends, which I believe is a full syn 0w-20

Old 03-21-2014, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
I think synthetic may be a good idea for long intervals but it is optional per page 286 of the 2013 owners manual..

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/K61313/K61313OM.pdf

Last edited by Rampo; 03-21-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
On the flip side, i neglected my last oil change and went 1k miles past zero on the MM (changed at 7k), and now its already at 10% and barely past 2k miles since that change!

guess the MM is pretty smart and is trying to make up for the previous interval?

I do mine as soon as is convenient after the 15% indicator comes on, which equates to 10-15K km

Old 03-21-2014, 06:39 AM
5 Year Member
How Often?? Apparently not often enough, since my local Honda dealer keeps calling me all the time to find out what maintenance they can perform on my car. I politely tell them that I can handle my own oil changes thank you.
As for our GD, I am amazed that after 7,000 miles of ownership, not one drop of oil has been burned by an engine now registering 101,000 miles. These truly are amazing engines. After 7,000 miles on my Corolla engine, I'd be at least a quart down.

Lowered Klass: I'm on the very extreme end of the opposite side of the spectrum from you. In this day and age, I don't understand why anyone uses synthetic products in their oil crankcase. Synthetic in longer change interval parts like rear differentials, or steering pumps, yes; but as an engine oil, no? Today's dinosaur oil is excellent compared to the 80's. Engine oil is a fluid that should be changed often due to moisture and dirt buildup in the one place you never want it. As such, the engine is not a place that one should attempt to "extend" a fluid's life be it with dino or synthetic oil. As such, I see synthetic oil as a total money waster, providing people with a false sense of piece of mind given the quality of today's conventional oil.

Last edited by BurntZ; 03-21-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
I know mine is at a little over 3500 miles on my car and it is at 30% but that is because I do quite a bit of idling waiting to go into work and warming my car up but hopefully that will be coming to an end pretty soon, as it starts to warm up in the north. I Plan to let my go to 10% before I change or even 0%.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:02 AM
I went 10K for the first one, used the kind of oil recommended, etc. Oil changes are cheap enough all around, why mess with it? Its the single best thing you can do to preserve the life of your car, why cut corners on that?

I have decided, though, to rotate the tires every 5K miles, and oil every 10K or whenever the oil indicator light flashes, which is not always 10K. My husband lets his base MT idle for a while before driving (this winter was super cold) and his is down to 15% at 6K miles. So its not all about miles, it seems.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
The "maintenance needed" light starts nagging you at 15%. It turns on with the car and you have to push the MM/odometer shaft to clear it. That's always enough to get me to change it. But this is about 10,000 miles between changes given my pattern of driving.

Agree that the reason to change is to remove moisture and other corrosives that build up over time, but this is exactly what the MM's algorithm is based on. It's not mileage based: it's based on operating temperature and revolutions. Cars that are only driven for short periods will get very short oil change intervals by the MM.

As far as oil goes. Synthetic has other advantages besides longevity. Engine sludge doesn't build up. For the price difference and 10K oil changes it's cost effective given the increase in MPG (3% by lab studies, no I won't google a link). If you need to change it every 3K, either by MM or obsessive disorder, I'd think twice about more expensive oil, but would probably spend the extra $15 anyway. I'm cheap but that's taking it to extremes.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Agree that the reason to change is to remove moisture and other corrosives that build up over time, but this is exactly what the MM's algorithm is based on. It's not mileage based: it's based on operating temperature and revolutions. Cars that are only driven for short periods will get very short oil change intervals by the MM.
Ah, that makes total sense. Honda's are so smart

Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 AM
I don't drive that much, and everything is so close by my home ( Less than 1/2 mile or just across the street). I put very little mileage on my car. When I do bring it in to the dealership, the rep tells me to go home, because I am not due for an oil change with so little miles, but I tell them I have 6 months on the OD, and get the oil changed anyway. I can go for a year I was told, but I feel uncomfortable doing so. I have the dealership put in their Synthetic recommended oil but I still feel uncomfortable with longer oil changed since I to am from the old school of changing oil every 3 months.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:01 AM
7000+ miles is no big deal. My old 96 Civic called for a fixed 7500 mile interval. I'm sure oils and engines are better today so I have no problem following the MM's schedule. In my case it's about every 10,000. I'm no speed-racer.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
My MM hits 20% after 10-12K miles, so that's when I change my oil. If it's like November and I have 30% left, I'll change it then (so it's not too cold).

I drive fast, but 99% of the miles are highway.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
The "maintenance needed" light starts nagging you at 15%. It turns on with the car and you have to push the MM/odometer shaft to clear it. That's always enough to get me to change it. But this is about 10,000 miles between changes given my pattern of driving.

As far as oil goes. Synthetic has other advantages besides longevity. Engine sludge doesn't build up. For the price difference and 10K oil changes it's cost effective given the increase in MPG (3% by lab studies, no I won't google a link). If you need to change it every 3K, either by MM or obsessive disorder, I'd think twice about more expensive oil, but would probably spend the extra $15 anyway. I'm cheap but that's taking it to extremes.
Agree and I also use full synthetic, but if you get an oil change at a jiffy lube type place, it's like $30 for regular and $90 for synthetic oil. The price difference is outrageous.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rampo
I think synthetic may be a good idea for long intervals but it is optional per page 286 of the 2013 owners manual..

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...3/K61313OM.pdf
What manual are you reading? On page 286 under Viscosity there are two listings:

Page 201, where it specifies "Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil."
Page 269, where it gives two choices: "Genuine Honda Motor Oil 0W-20" and "API Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil."

I've seen manuals list 5w20 as an emergency replacement when 0w20 is not available, but it is not recommended. And those manuals are not this one.

Fit Charlie Is Not The Oil Guy. Fit Charlie is a parts guy. The way I see it, I'm not a chemist and I do not know more about Honda engine innards than the smart people over at Honda. Give the engine what it wants. If you're going to give it something else, please give it something better than what's specified, not just something cheaper.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Two Fit family here. Wife's car routinely goes 7500, mine 11,000 miles. MM clocks down to 5% or so. Different routes, different outcomes. 0-20 syn. oils.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:30 PM
whether you wait until 15% oil life or not, Honda recommends 3 months or 3750 miles between oil changes. I usually do around 3-4k. For being such a light weight oil I wouldn't go past 5k between oil changes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How often do you change your oil???