1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Will a bicycle fit inside the fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Will a bicycle fit inside the fit?

I'm thinking about getting a bike for riding around the campus, but I really can't afford a rack, or a hitch, so I'm just wandering if anyone know if a regular road bike will fit inside of a fit?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
front wheel off I can fit my mtn. bike. stunt bike fits no problems.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Yes. I can fit a large sized road bike in my 97 Civic coupe with the front wheel off, so there will be more than enough room.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:42 PM
yup it will fit. like what shazaam said wheel off the front and it will fit perfectly. i got me a mountain bike and it slips in with no problem.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
i can fit three bikes laying down without the front tires in the back..one on top of each other

Old 08-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by diedwater
I'm thinking about getting a bike for riding around the campus, but I really can't afford a rack, or a hitch, so I'm just wandering if anyone know if a regular road bike will fit inside of a fit?
Yes it will. I do it all the time. Here's a sample picture below, not mine.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
A beach cruiser is an easy fit with the front wheel removed and it is even possible to fit 2 long wheelbase recumbents by removing the seats and wheels.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:23 PM
You can fit a bike in the Fit w/o taking the front wheel off of the bike. I did it with my road bike. Just fold the rear seats down to get the flat, expanded trunk space and then throw the bike in from the rear. Works all the time for me.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
You can throw it in the back, or in the rear seats in tall mode. If you have a large bike you may want to take the tire off, just to make it easier to handle so you don't scratch your paint. It should fit with the tire on. i have these huge grips perpendicular to my handlebar and that makes it extra tricky, because my bike is a comfort bike and sits more upright to begin with. If I can fit my bike, you can fit any bike imo.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:45 PM
i was able to fit a full size mtb in w/out taking the front wheel off; but i want to fit 1 more person in the back so i did this

suggested by fellow member here, final cost = $25, $15 for the fork rack, $10 for the 2x4 and pins

Old 08-24-2009, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vile10
i was able to fit a full size mtb in w/out taking the front wheel off; but i want to fit 1 more person in the back so i did this

suggested by fellow member here, final cost = $25, $15 for the fork rack, $10 for the 2x4 and pins

^Glad I could be of service. It's cool to see other people doing "mods" you've posted up! :]

Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
^Glad I could be of service. It's cool to see other people doing "mods" you've posted up! :]
thx for the idea: one of the most useful things i've done to the car so far

keeping the bike inside the car is a better option IMO

1. much cheaper than a rear/top bike rack

2. more secure, i go straight to join my friend's lunch sometimes w/out having to unload the bike

3. better aerodynamic

Old 08-24-2009, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
Some bikes will fit, others will not... at least not easily.

My mountain bike (19" frame size) will NOT fit comfortably in the Fit. It's too long for 'tall mode', even with the front wheel off, and also too tall to fit in the back with the seats down and the front wheel off, when placed vertically. It either needs the saddle taken down, or to be laid flat, with some wiggling and twisting to make enough room for the front seats to not be pushed all the way forward.

This is the bike, FWIW: 2009 JAMIS BICYCLES - DAKAR XCR PRO

Old 08-24-2009, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
i fit 2 beach cruisers and a BMX bike with the front wheels taken off in the back of my fit with back seats folded down

Old 08-24-2009, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robothebobo
It either needs the saddle taken down, or to be laid flat, with some wiggling and twisting to make enough room for the front seats to not be pushed all the way forward.

This is the bike, FWIW: 2009 JAMIS BICYCLES - DAKAR XCR PRO
Are you saying the bike would fit vertically if you just lowered the seat? Isn't that like, super, super easy???

Old 08-24-2009, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
Are you saying the bike would fit vertically if you just lowered the seat? Isn't that like, super, super easy???
You have to take the front wheel off and lower the seat. Lowering the seat requires a wrench. It's not a big deal but a small hassle each time you put the bike in or take the bike out.

If you have a small bike it won't be an issue.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
(If you do a search in this forum you will find many threads about this)
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...kes-fit-2.html

I have no problem putting a bike in the rear.
Without taking off the front wheel, you have to fold down both rear seats. Actually no needs to take down the bikeseat either.
But if you take off the front wheel, you could get away with folding down only one of the rear seats. Then you get space for another passenger and/or luggage.

I even put my sleeping bag beside the bike inside the car and slept comfortable in the back.

Here the bike with some luggage in the rear:

Old 08-24-2009, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
You have to take the front wheel off and lower the seat. Lowering the seat requires a wrench. It's not a big deal but a small hassle each time you put the bike in or take the bike out.

You gotta get yourself a quick release latch for that shizz, son!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:28 PM

no offense but i am really curious of what kind of bike do you have that requires a wrench to lower the seat

Old 08-25-2009, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vile10
no offense but i am really curious of what kind of bike do you have that requires a wrench to lower the seat
Most decent bikes require a hex wrench. Quick releases on seat collars aren't used much any more, as people tend to leave the seat at the same height, and QRs make it extra easy to steal a seatpost and saddle (which can be worth several hundred bucks).

I put a link to the exact bike in my post above (mine is the 2005 model, but essentially the same).

Quick Reply: Will a bicycle fit inside the fit?