1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Throttle delay/hesitation & noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Question Throttle delay/hesitation & noise

Hi All,

I have a 07 Fit (~41K miles). I realize the Fit has electric throttle control and have experienced from day one a delay between hitting the gas pedal and the response in revs, but I'm wondering how pronounced is it for you guys?

Recently I seem to have noticed it more and more. Slow acceleration and normal driving aren't a problem. When revving the engine in neutral, I experience a very noticeable lag between the pedal and actual revs. There is also a noise too before the revs rise.

Revving hard Sounds like:

pfff-VRRRRRMMMMM

pfff-VRRRRRMMMMMM

pfff is the lag time, almost sounding like a rush of air

VRRRRMMM is the rise of engine rpms (revs)

The initial pff noise is actually best imitated by sticking your tongue between your front teethh and making a "th" sound, then pulling your tongue back (wierd eh?)

The engine doesn't necessarily stumble, just seems to really lag behind with that wierd initial pfff sound before responding to the throttle.

I even experience the same thing if I coast in neutral and play with the throttle, stabbing it at any RPM.

Lastly, I also notice the slightest pff, air like sound, getting OFF the throttle too.

Can anyone rev the car (stab the throttle) and report back? A friend insists that all the newer electric throttle cars are like that and don't respond well to hard stabs.

Last edited by p1driftfiend; 10-30-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Blitz Throttle Controller 2009 09-up Honda Fit Jazz:eBay Motors (item 360149317210 end time Nov-19-09 00:10:39 PST)
The delay is intended from what i have read, it helps with fuel economy. The link above is a way around this lag.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:46 AM
Went to that link, they seem to be asking too much for that Blitz controller.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
Was a CAI installed on your Fit?

Originally Posted by p1driftfiend
...I experience a very noticeable lag between the pedal and actual revs. There is also a noise too before the revs rise.....
Was an aftermarket cold air intake installed on this Fit? That lag/sound could be characteristic of such an intake. Just my guess.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:21 AM
the "pff" you hear is the throttle body opening and a rush of air going through your intake. it's more pronounced if u have CAI or short ram, altho u can still hear it with a stock box.

drive-by-wire almost always has the "delay" ur talking about..it never seems as precise and on-the-point as old skool cable'd TB's.

when the scion tC's first came out, many owners complained highly about the super delay in their drive by wire system. some people fix it by putting a washer somwehre under the sensor or something like that. Also, if you've ever driven an AP1 S2K vs an AP2, the throttle response is completely different...one being cable and the other being drive by wire.

it's normal. just time your shifts accordingly, haha.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
^ couldn't have said it better myself

Old 11-01-2009, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 90 DGRZ
the "pff" you hear is the throttle body opening and a rush of air going through your intake. it's more pronounced if u have CAI or short ram, altho u can still hear it with a stock box.

drive-by-wire almost always has the "delay" ur talking about..it never seems as precise and on-the-point as old skool cable'd TB's.

when the scion tC's first came out, many owners complained highly about the super delay in their drive by wire system. some people fix it by putting a washer somwehre under the sensor or something like that. Also, if you've ever driven an AP1 S2K vs an AP2, the throttle response is completely different...one being cable and the other being drive by wire.

it's normal. just time your shifts accordingly, haha.
Guess I can sigh a sigh of relief.....

Guess I never really seemed to notice it all these years? That or I've been driving more with the radio off to track down rattles and creaks.

I truely hate this electric throttle. I miss my old 90 Si that revved from the air pressure between my foot and the pedal as I intended to accel.

This system is just too unreliable. Sometimes it'll over rev, sometime no rev response....argh!

Old 11-01-2009, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Guess I can sigh a sigh of relief.....

Guess I never really seemed to notice it all these years? That or I've been driving more with the radio off to track down rattles and creaks.

I truely hate this electric throttle. I miss my old 90 Si that revved from the air pressure between my foot and the pedal as I intended to accel.

This system is just too unreliable. Sometimes it'll over rev, sometime no rev response....argh!
I feel like the DBW on the Fit keeps you from inadvertently wasting a bunch of gas bogging down in too high a gear. We're always rapidly switching between underpowered and overpowered, and I feel like with it set up the way it is we would get far worse mileage without DBW in this car.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:52 AM
Sometimes it'll over rev, sometime no rev response....argh!

haha, i totally understand what you mean. my 07 civic was DBW and i still can't get my fit on point 100% of the time. with music on, sometimes i underrev and i jerk like an idiot, or sound like a noob with super over rev. hahaha.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
That delay has bugged me since the 1st day I bought my 07 but I dont see myself paying that much for the controller.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:31 PM
P1 check out this thread for a cheaper throttle controller

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gaug...tml#post778138