1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Water leak between door and door panels?

Old 01-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
I dont know if this has any thing to do with you guys problems but I found this

Honda recalls 646,000 amid Toyota woes - Autos- msnbc.com

Old 02-22-2010, 05:36 PM
It doesn't look like that recall resolves the problem of water leaking into the car, only water spilling onto the window controls. I cannot speak to whether the repair requires the door to be resealed because I haven't got that happy letter from Honda yet.

I would encourage anyone with a leaking Fit to go to this page and file a complaint: Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), File A Safety Complaint

The safety concern is mold growth and how harmful that can be to health in a closed vehicle being driven daily.

The other area of interest to the NHTSA is that a car of three years old or thereabouts should not be leaking. It does not matter how Honda try and yell 'The Warranty has expired!' because door seals are not affected by mileage. This would be the fourth recall to the 07/08 Fit, with three currently active.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
I had all four door vapor panels replaced on the Fit last year.

This morning I have a small puddle to the left of the driver's seat under the seat lever in the small space between the door moulding and seat.

Three out of four doors seap water from the bottom when I push the plastic door card. Only the driver's side appears to leak though.

What a pain in the but.

Back to the dealer soon!

Old 03-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Exclamation leak in back door panel onto floorboard and mold issues

I posted something last month about a leak I had with my honda fit. At first I thought the leak had something to do with the recent recall having to do with the honda fit windows but the dealership told me my fit was not on the list of recalls. Well the dealership did in fact find a leak after inspecting it. But the cause was a seal in the inside door panel plastic. and because of the leak mold formed on my floorboard rug.i voiced my concerns to the dealership over mold spores which were now present and that I have newborn who would be riding backin the same area where the leak was. They told me they fixed the issue by disinfecting it. Well since the car has been fixed and supposedly cured of all mold it has a musty smell to it. I called up my cousin who is an indoor air quality coordinator and told me that according to epa regulations the rug needed to be replaced immediately and that mold is nothing to take lightly especially with children. I will be taking my car in monday to discuss this with the dealership. Also, I just got a recall letter in the mail about the windows. (i guess I was on the list!!) I will keep everyone posted! Also is anyone else having problems with their cigarette lighter/outlet hookup.??? Brought it in twice and again not working!!

Old 03-27-2010, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
i noticed a puddle of water rear passenger below magic seats

Old 03-29-2010, 10:30 AM
@LowBUDGETs2k, @goodbingo and @p1driftfiend
Have you filed a complaint with Honda? Here is the number Honda Customer Service: 800-999-1009.
I have spent hours on the phone with these fools and spoken to three different Reps now. I hope that my hours won't be in vain when they finally acknowledge there is an issue and fix it. My rear mats have mold too, and I have a baby coming in June.
I also filed a case with the Govt.: Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), File A Safety Complaint
The more people who complain, the more pressure is put on Honda. I would value your suggestions as to what else we can do to get this sorted. My Dealer is a joke and won't even begin to entertain the idea that something is up.

Check out the new Facebook group: Honda Fits Leak (07-08s) http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9594935&ref=ts

Last edited by FITSTL; 04-06-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Added the FB Group
Old 03-30-2010, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
FITSTL - I have it on my list to give Honda a call.

I had my leaking door seal replaced recently and luckily all 4 made it thru the past two days of the New England monsoon we've had.

The front door still seeps water though when I push the panel, so who knows when a leak will come thru into the car.

Frustrating this darn car...

Old 03-31-2010, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
I have the same problem with water in the boot and its going back to the dealer for the third time to try and fix. With the water in the boot this means the window are always misted up and the heater can not clear them even when i am the only one in the car.T hey told me that a water leak is hard to trace and that the 2002 -2008 jazz have a problem with steamed up windows.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
I went to the dealer for a leak around the atenna and they denied me to fix it! said it was my fault because i drive it through carwashes with it on. I never go to a car wash! I always handwash.. So I fixed that leak on my own and it was deffinatly the way the antenna was mounted at the factory.

Now I still feel like its leaking around the doors somewhere!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pauljazz
I have the same problem with water in the boot and its going back to the dealer for the third time to try and fix. With the water in the boot this means the window are always misted up and the heater can not clear them even when i am the only one in the car.T hey told me that a water leak is hard to trace and that the 2002 -2008 jazz have a problem with steamed up windows.
doesn't matter if it's hard to trace...they should fix it especially if it was a problem before the warranty ended.
and as far as I know "steamed up windows" was not an accessory i wanted to pay for.

i took all my door panels off and did the duct or (*@# it method. Solved my problems...but i used I think 1/2 a roll of duct tape. Only took me moving to florida and dealing with our rain, sunshine, rain+sunshine, rain during the summer to let me find out my car was leaking.

I did the front doors just in case they started but majority of my problem was the back seats.

Eventually I'm going to find a crashed/totalled fit to cannibalize the carpets out of and replace the whole thing if I ever get around to it.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Please, even if you are just moving on with your life, call Honda Customer Service: 800-999-1009, and open a case with them about the leaks, and moldy carpets. At some level of complaints they will have to do a recall surely. You will be helping all 2007/08 Fit owners by adding strength in numbers.

I have had all that spiel about it being my Sirius Antenna and not their antenna causing the leak (even though it leaks without the Sirius on there). I've also had every excuse about the door panels you can imagine.

It seems like Honda has begun briefing dealers on how to get out of fixing this. I know their Customer Service has refused to discuss this problem with me further.

Class Action anyone?

Old 10-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Well its been a few months now. My car was in the shop 3 times for water leaking into the car and a 4th time for them to replace my carpets. I thought I might be in the clear bc its been awhile but yesterday I got in my car and immediately noticed the nasty musty moldy smell my car got previous times I discovered a leak. Started looking and found that behind the seats- right at the seam where the seats fold down was soaking wet on one side. It seems to be coming in from the door panel- possibly in through the roof seam and leakign down..who knows.

So car is being dropped off on Thursday for leak #4!

Good news is I have my deposition in 3 weeks for my lemon lawsuit with Honda. So I guess this only makes my case stronger.

I just want to be able to get rid of the car and not have to pay to get rid of it. Its been nothing but a pain.

The other issues with these leaks along with the nasty mold is its causing the interior of my car to rust.

Here's the side of the car that seems to be getting the brunt of the water leak
Name:  rusty.jpg
Views: 1919
Size:  158.8 KB

The side thats not getting much of the leak for comparison
Name:  dryside.jpg
Views: 1834
Size:  82.1 KB

Old 10-23-2010, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
I had to take mine in for a rear door leak as well. The tech said it was caused by the alarm system the dealer installed. They plugged up some of the drainage holes with their enthusiastic application of cement.

This probably doesn't help the person who has genuinely got a leaky lemon, but I figured I'd post some suggestions on what to do if your car leaks (or you leave a window down).

1. Get the water out as soon as possible! If you've got a hot water extractor with a car attachment, you rock. If you don't, use a wet/dry shop vac (in wet mode, obviously). Home Depot has some really cheap, small ones. Suck out as much water as you can. All fabric should be just barely damp when you are done.

2. Don't put the floor mats back until the car is dry or you'll get mold under them.

3. Buy a couple of those hanging Damp-Rid bags. I had two hanging in the back seat from those handles over the windows. Do this when the car is going to be parked/operated with the windows up. Don't bother if you have the windows down, as you'll just be dehumidifying the Earth instead.

4. If it's warm, run the A/C on recirc with the windows closed. That'll pull humidity out of the air inside the car and move it outdoors.

5. If you get a moldy smell, try OxyClean. Soak the foot well with a solution of the stuff, scrub gently, then suck the water back out. If it's the seats, get them damp with the OxyClean solution but don't soak them, since it'll be harder to get all the water out. Since you have a damp car again, make sure to follow steps 1-4.

6. Ozium air freshener can help reduce funny smells. Spray a shot in when you park the car for the night. Also, your cabin air filter might be full of mold spores. Consider replacing it if the car smells funniest when you turn on the A/C or heat.

Hope this was helpful.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 AM
I just submitted a complaint to the NHTSA as well. My car leaks into the front driver-side footwell after a heavy downpour. It gets under the floormat and it really stinks when the interior of the car warms up. I haven't asked the dealer about it since they may very well give me the runaround. And maybe charge me for it.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by henryd1981
I just submitted a complaint to the NHTSA as well. My car leaks into the front driver-side footwell after a heavy downpour. It gets under the floormat and it really stinks when the interior of the car warms up. I haven't asked the dealer about it since they may very well give me the runaround. And maybe charge me for it.
I hope you got the recall repair done on the airbag harness wires that run under there, or you may have additional problems to deal with!

Honda Airbag Failure Leads to Recall | The Airbag Blog

Old 11-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Sibyl
I hope you got the recall repair done on the airbag harness wires that run under there, or you may have additional problems to deal with!

Honda Airbag Failure Leads to Recall | The Airbag Blog
My car is not part of this recall, as I live in Texas, which is not listed as one of the states affected by this recall.

Most likely, I'll have to stick a towel in my car to soak up most of that water next time we get a storm.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Well, a friend and I took off my driver door panel off and everything seemed fine. However, when we took a water hose to the door, we found out why the water was leaking into the car. It seems that whenever you peel off that plastic sheet that stuck to the metal with that black weatherstripping glue, it doesn't seal as well when you put it back on. The water found weak spots and leaked through the weatherstripping, thus it leaked through the door panel and into the car itself!

My friend added some more weatherstripping adhesive and made sure that there were no weak spots or air bubbles along the adhesive. We took the water hose to it again and it seemed to hold up well.

You'd be surprised at how much water gets into the door during a heavy rainstorm. The door handle must have been ill-designed, as a lot of water came in through that area.

I just hope the adhesive my friend added holds up.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 AM
this is craziness.

luckily mine isn't leaking (knock on wood) even though here in KY it rains about 9 months straight it seems.

i've dealt with leaky cars and it's such a pain. hopefully you guys get it solved.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 AM
UPDATE on my leaky lemon

FINALLY settled with Honda. Car had a few more visits for leaks, they drug it out as long as possible but did finally offer a reasonable settlement in the lawsuit. Now its time to go car shopping and get rid of my stinky leaking Fit!

IF you are having this issue

1. File a report with the attorney general

2. look into the lemon law and/or Magnusson Moss Warranty Act!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Well, my car decided to leak AGAIN after last night's heavy rains. I'm not sure how long it rained, but we got almost 3 inches last night.

Anyway, all that water went through the plastic again. I'm probably going to buy another plastic sheet & redo the adhesive. I'm not in a position to unload this car. Also I haven't even brought the issue up with Honda.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water leak between door and door panels?