1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Excessive interior window fogging?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Excessive interior window fogging?

I have an '08 Fit Sport, 26,000 miles and love it! I notice in any kind of cold weather, sometimes even on sunny cold days, the windshield and all side windows, and rear window fog up really heavily. I run the defrost / floor and turn on A/C, to remove moisture from the air, and use recirc. Most of the windshield and front side windows eventually clear up, often the rear windows do not. I asked the dealer about this and they weren't much help. I thought I would run this by other Fit drivers....any info or suggestions I would appreciate

Old 02-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Im having the same problem in my 2010. I was actually planning on asking about it myself. anyone?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
ac should be switched on when you run defrost unless you changed the wiring up. only solution...not much of one but yea, aim the vents nearest the front driver/pass windows towards the windows(up and left/right) side rears you can't do a whole lot about. just try keep it in the sun. Nother thing, sorta learn this while snowcatting, keep it cool inside or keep a front window down a bit to keep it "dry" inside. to have no fog/frost the windows have to be equal to the temp outside so yea.
sorry, can't really think of how to explain it all.

edit: outside part of the window, rain-x is always a decent solution too.

Last edited by shazaam; 02-11-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
You should not use recirc, use fresh air mode.

Also there is a rainx product for the inside of windows that reduces fogging. It works well.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andre181
You should not use recirc, use fresh air mode.
Yes, this cured my interior fogging problems.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member
All nice to know, thanks! I will try both ideas, fresh mode and the RainX product Much appreciated! Now if I could only get the Fit paid for.....I'd love it even more LOL!

Old 02-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Agree on RainX product, used both interior and exterior versions on my 2007 Fit, works very good. Sometime I leave the setting on defrost without the fan on, driving at 60km/h or higher will also get the fog disappear by itself.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Don't use recirculate mode always use fresh air with the defrost. All recirculate does is trap the moisture in the car. Fresh air forces the old moist air inside the car it out the body vents in the rear of the car. There are one way vents under the rear bumper that allow air to escape the car. Look any car after a wreck and you will see louvered vents in the back somewhere.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:57 PM
the black thing

Old 02-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah, a 16 year old showed me mine when she plowed into my driver's left corner while lot driving....still trying to figure out how her cheapo depo insurance said it was my fault. I'd take a picture for ya and post, but I have a sheet metal screw holding the bumper cover on. I'll fix it myself one day - when I'm not working on other's junk, lol!

Always use fresh air when running defrost, that's been mentioned several times, also, if you haven't read it in the owners manual. Check the cabin air filter behind the glove box. Empty the glove box, and push the upper corners (tabs) together. The glove box will fall down and there's a white cover behind it. It's a tray that houses the cabin air filter. If it's contaminated with mildew, occasional bugs that come in from fresh air mode, and dust, it will prevent moisture from further being removed when entering the car. It will also cause low air movement through your vents if it's clogged. WIth 26K miles on your Fit....it's probably time to change it. The manual says about 25000 if I'm not mistaking, but it can be more or less, depending on the climate you live/drive in (more rain, dustier, beaches, snowy...) Mine went 50K personally, but I keep my car clean all the time, and we don't have a whole lot of dust where I drive. I have seen them craptastic as little as 10 thousand miles!

When you buy a car it's great and new and needs nothing, but these newer cars have more and more maintenance items to watch every day! Take care of it, and it will take care of you. Happy motoring!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
the black thing
[IMG]
That would be the vent. But it is something that you should never see.

Kind of like the magic smoke in all electronics. If you let the smoke out the chips stop working.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 PM
yup note the 3300$ smash that the guy gave me for having my car 3mos..

Old 02-11-2010, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
doesn't it switch to "fresh air" when you switch to defrost...just like ac gets turned on the same time? never pay attention/tried it just think I remember reading bout it a while back...

Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 AM
no because its mechanical, you have to slide the switch

Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Keep ur windows clean rainx works good as mentioned b4 but also make shure they r clean on the out side idk y but I heard any dirt will start to fog up window bad also armorall ( sorry my spelling sucks) too close to a window when it gets hot it leaves a sort of film on the windows I know that from personal exp and also u do have to manually slide it to fresh air good luck

Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Same thing with my 2012, windows fog up with the slightest amount of moisture/humidity outside. There is also a funk coming from my vents, smells like wet carpet, which the carpet is not wet. The two have to be related, I think there is a design flaw somewhere allowing moisture to enter the car. I have owned many vehicles in my 48 years and this is my first foreign car and the first time I have had a problem with the windows fogging up in any of my vehicles. The only other time was with a 79 Camaro, the windows fogged up and you could smell a sweet sryupy odor in the car, the heater core had developed a leak and was leaking antifreeze into the car, replaced the core and problem solved. I was smelling the same odor awhile back and asked the Honda dealer to do a pressure test on the cooling system, they said it was fine. Havent noticed the sweet smell again, just the bad odor, which is slight but I should not have it on a 2012 car.
I replaced the cabin filter yet the funk remains. Didnt really smell it again till this morning when driving in with a lot of rain coming down, windows fogging up, funk coming from vents.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by troy76
Same thing with my 2012, windows fog up with the slightest amount of moisture/humidity outside. There is also a funk coming from my vents, smells like wet carpet, which the carpet is not wet. The two have to be related, I think there is a design flaw somewhere allowing moisture to enter the car. I have owned many vehicles in my 48 years and this is my first foreign car and the first time I have had a problem with the windows fogging up in any of my vehicles. The only other time was with a 79 Camaro, the windows fogged up and you could smell a sweet sryupy odor in the car, the heater core had developed a leak and was leaking antifreeze into the car, replaced the core and problem solved. I was smelling the same odor awhile back and asked the Honda dealer to do a pressure test on the cooling system, they said it was fine. Havent noticed the sweet smell again, just the bad odor, which is slight but I should not have it on a 2012 car.
I replaced the cabin filter yet the funk remains. Didnt really smell it again till this morning when driving in with a lot of rain coming down, windows fogging up, funk coming from vents.
Sounds like water is pooling in the air handling system because of a clogged drain hole. Look down through the grill on the outside at the bottom of the windshield. Check for leaves or collected water. If you see either, you'll have to find a way to unblock the drain hole.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by troy76
I don't recommend rain X I've used it myself and I didn't like the results. I recommend cleaning the inside of your windows thoroughly with a foaming glass cleaner the one I used is called Bon Ami. You can also spray the cabin air filter with Fabreeze. Maybe it's time you changed the cabin air filter altogether. I got one made by Fram that has Arm and Hammer baking soda in it.

Another trick I picked up on this forum is to temper the vehicle before you park in cold weather. About two minutes before I arrive at my final destination, I turn the temperature control to about midway and the fan on high to cool off the inside of the car so that condensation doesn't form inside a hot car that's exposed to the cold all night. This helps to prevent the annoying problem of having a thin layer of ice forming on all the inside windows.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
I just open the back passenger window, it does the job in minutes, its cheaper then buy rain X