1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

newb with a handful of questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 02:25 AM
newb with a handful of questions

Greetings Fit Freaks!

I just bought (as in yesterday) a lightly used 2007 Fit 5 speed manual with 45k miles on it. This is primarily a work vehicle for me as I drive 2500-3000 miles per month for work. I dig the car, obviously (I bought the thing, after all) and I've got a few plans for it.

My first order of business is to get the windows tinted and install an aftermarket cruise control. Are any cruise control kits better than the others? Recommendations?

Also would like an alarm/keyless entry...recommendations?

Also thinking about a roof rack to haul a 6' ladder. I found this one online, any insight?:

Honda Fit Roof Rack (2007-2008) - Thule Traverse - CargoGear Car and Truck Accessories

Sometime later down the line I would like to replace my stock hubcaps with some wheels similar to these:

Can anyone recommend a brand/size that works best for the least money?

Also, I'm a gearhead, so are there any must-do performance mods? I assume the usual suspects; open up the intake and exhaust...is this the case with the Fit?

thanks for the help!

BTW, here's my car:

Name:  fit1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  7.3 KB

Last edited by sweatmachine; 03-21-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum fellow Texan!

I believe this may help you in the cruise control and alarm department...

Honda <---Cruise

Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine Factory Honda Accessories <---Fit Base Alarm add on

For the roof racks, just skim around the forum; the two popular racks seen here are by either Thule or Yamika. As for mods there are numerous companies making lowering springs, coilovers, air bags, sway bars, chassis bracing, intakes, exhausts, various forced induction items, carbon fiber bits, and lip/body kits. There is pretty much a little something for everyone when it comes to the Fit.

Typically what I see done on here is lowering springs, wheels/tires usually 15 or 16 inch rim with a 195 or 205 tire, either a cold air or short ram intake, an axle back muffler, and progress rear sway bar.

Again welcome to the forum, come check out the Texas sub-forum and mingle with the locals.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/texas-community/

Old 03-21-2010, 04:46 AM
Great link and price for cruse now I'm considering it +1

Old 03-21-2010, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
15x6.5 and 16x7 wheels with +45 offset should be good to go. For tires best sizes for fitment are 195/55R15 and 205/45R16.

Good luck

Old 03-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
Welcome to the forum fellow Texan!

I believe this may help you in the cruise control and alarm department...

Honda <---Cruise

Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine Factory Honda Accessories <---Fit Base Alarm add on

For the roof racks, just skim around the forum; the two popular racks seen here are by either Thule or Yamika. As for mods there are numerous companies making lowering springs, coilovers, air bags, sway bars, chassis bracing, intakes, exhausts, various forced induction items, carbon fiber bits, and lip/body kits. There is pretty much a little something for everyone when it comes to the Fit.

Typically what I see done on here is lowering springs, wheels/tires usually 15 or 16 inch rim with a 195 or 205 tire, either a cold air or short ram intake, an axle back muffler, and progress rear sway bar.

Again welcome to the forum, come check out the Texas sub-forum and mingle with the locals.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/texas-community/
thanks a lot!

Question: What kind of noticible performance gains are there from opening up the intake and the exhaust? Is any EFI tuning required at that point?

Originally Posted by Type 100
15x6.5 and 16x7 wheels with +45 offset should be good to go. For tires best sizes for fitment are 195/55R15 and 205/45R16.

Good luck
Thanks, I'll keep those sizes in mind.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Just filled up my tank for the 2nd time and after blasting around town for a few days still got almost 34 MPG. Not too bad! Not quite as good as my ex-2006 VW Jetta TDI got, but not too far from it either.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sweatmachine
Greetings Fit Freaks!

I just bought (as in yesterday) a lightly used 2007 Fit 5 speed manual with 45k miles on it. This is primarily a work vehicle for me as I drive 2500-3000 miles per month for work. I dig the car, obviously (I bought the thing, after all) and I've got a few plans for it.

My first order of business is to get the windows tinted
Y'all better keep out of the Illini State if you do that Tex, I know they
have regulations against that & Officer Friendly will be happy to tell you
about them too. Maybe you can get away with them in the Lone Star State, I'd check first before you make your move.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jensen Healy
Y'all better keep out of the Illini State if you do that Tex, I know they
have regulations against that & Officer Friendly will be happy to tell you
about them too. Maybe you can get away with them in the Lone Star State, I'd check first before you make your move.
they lave laws against window tint? That's stupid. I've tinted the windows in every vehicle I've ever owned. It's perfectly legal here in the good ol' Lone Star State.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sweatmachine
they lave laws against window tint? That's stupid. I've tinted the windows in every vehicle I've ever owned. It's perfectly legal here in the good ol' Lone Star State.
Well you
got me curious to see what the regulations are in the Lone Star State
and I found this Texas Window Tint Law - TintCenter.com as you can see
they're only so different than the Illini State Illinois Window Tint Law - TintCenter.com

Old 03-21-2010, 06:56 PM
I didn't say I'm spray painting the windows black, I'm just going to get them tinted. I usually just tell the guys to do it as dark as is legal. That being said, my dad is a retired Houston police officer and he said in 35 years on the job he never once saw or used a tint-measuring device (not saying they don't exist)

I carry a ton of tools and equipment for work and I don't need prying eyes peeking in at my stuff.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Don't worry sweatmachine. I've had every vehicle tinted, including the Fit with no problems. I got my fit tinted with 35% in the front and 20% in the rear. Thought about doing 5% in the rear but visibility would suffer...the 20% is dark enough to deter.

Also think about getting yourself a rear cargo cover. I believe the GD ones are roll out. Good luck!

My dad was a Harris County and Pasadena Police Officer...retired as well. Maybe they knew each other...hrm. Small world!

Old 03-21-2010, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
All cops are different though. I've heard of cops ticketing people around here for breaking the tint laws. As you can see Welcome to TintLaws.com many states have their own regulations. I can understand why cops regulate these laws since it's nice to know or have some kind of warning what's inside the car after you pull it over.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Don't worry sweatmachine.

I'm not worried

Old 03-21-2010, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Do you carry passengers at the same time as the ladder? If not, the ladder should fit inside with the front seat down.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:31 PM
yeah the ladder will fit just fine, and I don't usually carry passengers, but I have a lot of other stuff that I carry for work and it would help to have the ladder up on the roof. I'll prob rock the ladder inside the car for now and maybe get the rack later.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jensen Healy
All cops are different though. I've heard of cops ticketing people around here for breaking the tint laws. As you can see Welcome to TintLaws.com many states have their own regulations. I can understand why cops regulate these laws since it's nice to know or have some kind of warning what's inside the car after you pull it over.
Most reputable tint shops will also place a sticker on the car or give you a card (or both) which states that the tint installed meets the laws of the state you live in. Should you visit another state where your tint isn't legal, they can't do anything to you about it because it is legal in the state where you reside.

My late BIL's camaro had a super dark tint on it and I was always getting pulled over because of it. The cops always said that "it's too dark and you need to get rid of it" but never once wrote a ticket. I'm guessing that since they didn't have or use a tester, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court. 'But your honor, it looked too dark to me' doesn't really hold water.

Last edited by E = Mc2; 03-22-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: emphasis
Old 03-22-2010, 05:04 PM
I got the windows tinted today. I got to looking at my beat up crappy hubcaps and yanked them off the car, sanded them a bit, and spray-bombed them black. I think the tint and painted hubcaps really helped the look of the car. Sorry for the cell phone pic, couldn't find my camera:

Name:  tintedFIT.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  64.7 KB

Old 03-22-2010, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
For wheels on a budget, check out:
ROTA Wheels made in the Phillippines
Konig Wheels made in Taiwan

Old 03-22-2010, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
check out this website for wheels. Shop Rota Rims, Konig Rims, Muteki Lug Nuts: JLB Motorsports

they have GREAT prices and tons of colors/sizes available. you can also call and ask for a specific color or size.

the wheels you posted are similar to the rota slipstreams/spoon sw388/regamaster evo.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by DreaMv
check out this website for wheels. Shop Rota Rims, Konig Rims, Muteki Lug Nuts: JLB Motorsports

they have GREAT prices and tons of colors/sizes available. you can also call and ask for a specific color or size.

the wheels you posted are similar to the rota slipstreams/spoon sw388/regamaster evo.
are their listed prices for each wheel, or for 4 wheels?

Quick Reply: newb with a handful of questions