1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Engine rattle 3k RPM / ABS issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
Engine rattle 3k RPM / ABS issues?

Hey guys, I've been a long time reader but never really the one to post. I have used the search but it doesn't seem to catch keywords too well. So anyways, here it goes:

I have a 2008 Honda Fit with roughly 64,000 miles. All of a sudden, I started getting multiple problems with the car.

First off, my engine has a rattling or somewhat "clicking" noise every time my engine hits or nears 3000rpm. I never heard (or at least haven't noticed) it before and I was wondering what can cause the problem. Had my friend rev up the engine at a standstill and it is slightly audible but at times, it can be pretty loud.

Secondly, I feel that I am having problems with my brakes and might be an ABS issue. Whenever my car is braking at a low speed >25mph very softly, it will start making sounds grinding sound, kinda like an ABS in the rain. I have checked the brakes (both front and back) and my brakes were still good. I felt that I read about the ABS problem before but couldn't find the exact thread.

Any FF members experiencing the same problem? Any solution?

Old 08-06-2010, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member
I myself am experiencing this ABS issue. I too would like information regarding it. I have a 2008 Sport fit with roughly the same amount of miles, 65,XXX.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member
There was another thread as posted earlier who had the same problem but just couldn't locate it. If I remember correctly, he/she took it to the dealer and they needed the have the ABS replaced. I hope it doesn't come to that and there is a cheaper fix or some way to repair it myself.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
I asked awhile back about a strange noise/vibration at 3300 rpm. I was told it's the exhaust heat-shield. I confirmed this by removing the heat shield temporarily - the noise went away. I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about - it's definitely a rattling noise, but I would not describe it as "clicking".

I think the ABS tends to be hypersensitive; I hear it engage even if I go over the slightest bump while braking.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitty McFit
I asked awhile back about a strange noise/vibration at 3300 rpm. I was told it's the exhaust heat-shield. I confirmed this by removing the heat shield temporarily - the noise went away.
I may be developing a similar exhaust heat-shield rattle on my 2009 Fit. I had a similar problem with a Subaru Forester; the exhaust-shield is very thin metal, and it took only a few seconds to crawl under the car and push it away from the exhaust pipe (when cold, of course!)

Old 08-07-2010, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for much replies, I will be looking into the heat shield thing later in the day when I have time.

As for the ABS problem, is it normal for the Fit's ABS to be hyper sensitive. It engages almost everyday when I brake very very slowly. Once in a while, it doesn't happen. I can almost guarantee it will happen when the road is bad though....

Old 08-08-2010, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
This does not sound like normal behavior; my Fit's brakes feel like every ABS car I have driven since the 1980s, including momentary chattering if braking over a rough surface. Even on snow, I could use the brakes lightly without ABS engaging.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
The ABS is retarded. I don't think it needs to be replaced right away. I mean its better to know its working than to not work at all right?

Old 08-08-2010, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
My '08 Fit also recently developed a humming/vibration, usually between 3000 and 3500. I'm not familiar enough with cars, where is this heat shield?

Old 08-08-2010, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
This does not sound like normal behavior; my Fit's brakes feel like every ABS car I have driven since the 1980s, including momentary chattering if braking over a rough surface. Even on snow, I could use the brakes lightly without ABS engaging.
While it is true that I get "momentary chatting" when driving over rough or uneven surfaces, the ABS problem that I am having is that it will do that even when the road is flat.

The problem started probably around 50,000 miles, drove around with the problem and I see no real negative effects to my driving. ABS seems to be doing it's job at high speed but at the low speed ABS is the problem.

Only negative effect I see from the low-speed ABS issue is that when I brake, it sounds like my car is breaking apart (well, not that bad..) and that people walking around the parking lot can usually hear it and look in my direction.

I guess I'll be taking apart the ABS sensor to check if it's clean or not...

Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zukered
My '08 Fit also recently developed a humming/vibration, usually between 3000 and 3500. I'm not familiar enough with cars, where is this heat shield?
The heat shield is located at the back of the engine near the firewall.

My car also developed a similar noise. My noise originated from one of the "washers" that surrounds the mounting bolt. There is some kind of twisted wire cushion that keeps the shield from vibrating and this cushion fatigues over time. My fix was to slip a thin metal shim under the washer. The shim tights the cushion's fit and the noise went away. I have no idea if this will work long term but the shield is easy to replace if needed. GL

Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john380
The heat shield is located at the back of the engine near the firewall.

My car also developed a similar noise. My noise originated from one of the "washers" that surrounds the mounting bolt. There is some kind of twisted wire cushion that keeps the shield from vibrating and this cushion fatigues over time. My fix was to slip a thin metal shim under the washer. The shim tights the cushion's fit and the noise went away. I have no idea if this will work long term but the shield is easy to replace if needed. GL
I had the same thing. The mesh washer that's on there was flattened out, which leaves room for the heat shield to vibrate.