1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

3rd gear pressure switch not covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:28 PM
3rd gear pressure switch not covered under warranty?

My girlfriend has a 2007 base model Fit with automatic transmission. Yesterday it threw a check engine light and the "D" started flashing in the dashboard. Car has 44k miles so it is still under the 5/60k powertrain warranty. She took it to the dealership and they determined it was the third gear pressure switch in the transmission. They want to charge $50 for the switch and $250 labor. Should this be covered under the powertrain warranty? If she cannot get satisfaction with the dealer, is there any recourse? In my experience with other mfgrs (I've never owned a Honda) you can often get hold of a regional manager from the mfgr who has the authority to overrule the dealership and cover all or a portion of the repair.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
Power train is power train. You're covered.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:59 AM
She asked several times if it was covered under the powertrain warranty and they said no and made her pay for the repair. I guess the next step is to contact the regional service manager from Honda corporate.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Did she ask why it wasn't covered? The only reason that I could come up with that it wouldn't be covered was if you had some sort of an extended warranty that was only good IN HOUSE and that obviously isn't the case. I think she is being taken advantage of because she is a woman.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:37 PM
They told her that it "wasn't a powertrain part". One end screws into the transmission, the other end attaches to a cable that goes to the PCM. I'm not sure how you can claim it isn't covered under the powertrain warranty, but that's the explanation they had for her for not covering it. I went over this with her on the phone before she picked her car up, so she could go in as an informed owner.

I just figure the reimbursement from Honda for warranty work is a lot lower than they can charge for non-warranty work, so they try to pull this hoping they won't get caught.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Have the girlfriend do this:
Take it to regional. Seriously ask how a part that seems to be an important part of the transmission functioning correctly (3rd gear pressure switch) would not be covered under the powertrain warranty. If the said piece won't allow the transmission to function properly (ie shifting) then to me I would say it's part of the powertrain and should be treated as such. If it isn't part of the powertrain, it shouldn't affect the transmission shifting or throw a code related to the transmission.
If the regional doesn't seem to be satisfactorily resolve this, make a complaint to the BBB at that point. Tell him/her that you aren't satisfied if they are not making any concessions and/or adjustments when in your opinion the power train warranty should have it covered. If he/she does not do anything or gives her the runaround, then mention that since Honda is unable to resolve your concern, you feel as a consumer it is in your best interest to make a complaint to the BBB.
She doesn't need to do it all asshole "i'ma call the BBB you jerkface, etc. etc." but keep it cool, in check and mention that how she felt as a FEMALE customer. Honestly, it could be something that isn't considered power train but I would want a complete reason why. The engine blowing up making the transmission not shift is obvious..a switch that affects the switching gears of the transmission to me says it's a transmission part.

Good luck. Fight a good fight, and hopefully you'll get something from the corporate. Oh...don't leave a voicemail and/or message. Tell them you'll want to talk to the regional person and you will wait. (Being willing to wait makes people nervous apparently)

Old 10-23-2010, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Hell i'm bored

Flashing "D"...What does it mean?!?! [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

3rd gear pressure issue on honda elements above, seems a lot were resolved for $0.00 as it was warranty (but extended not normal 60k)

Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 PM
I have the same issue. 2007 Fit S w/ only 25K miles! The dealership said it is not under warranty. I don't understand how it would not be covered under the powertrain. I called Honda CS and opened a case. Now I have to wait for a rep to call me back.

Has anyone else had the same problem but was covered under the powertrain 5yr/60K warranty?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 PM
I don't have my warranty book here at the office, but aren't powertrain warranties usually limited to internally-lubricated parts? If so, switches may not be covered. However, even if not covered, if this is a common problem I'd try to get some "good will" coverage from Honda.