1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

before I make the move over...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:36 AM
before I make the move over...

Hey, whats up everyone? For the last two weeks straights ive been cramming the contents of this forum and the rest of the web regarding the Honda Fit. Ive always had a liking for the first generation so starting doing a bit of homework to find that I absolutely MUST have one.

Im not a rich dude (20yearold food server and full time student) and I just bought a 1991 NA Miata 5sp with 93k miles. I love the miata, its just a very simple drivers car yada yada yada, im sure you all know a ton about them. But as a musician there is NO room for gear, and i miss having a back seat and some tint behind my head (drove a e36 325i 4dr pre-miata).

Anyways Im about 95% sure on getting a fit in the next 10 months if I stick by a strict saving plan that I rapidly conjured up.

My big question though: for those of you who are/were NA miata owners/enthusiasts, whats the move over going to be like. Can I still weave through mountain roads? (Highway 9, Highway 17, Mt. Hamilton) My stock miata rides of rails and the gearbox is SUPER tight, I love driving long distances by myself in it.

How does the GD3 compare, if its fair to compare.

Thanks everyone, cant wait to get behind the wheel of a GD3 Storm Silver Metallic 5 speed Fit sport.

Anything I should know of?

Thanks so much

Last edited by jazztar5/4; 10-28-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: fix
Old 10-28-2010, 11:20 PM
no one?

no one has any thoughts?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
I have a friend who has a Miata and I let him take my Fit out and he said it handles better than his car. I've never driven a Miata so I don't have any input to your question from personal experience but from what he says....you'll be more than satisfied with the move.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I have a friend who has a Miata and I let him take my Fit out and he said it handles better than his car. I've never driven a Miata so I don't have any input to your question from personal experience but from what he says....you'll be more than satisfied with the move.
thanks for the input, im so excited even though I have so much time before I get my hands on (in..?) a fit

Old 10-30-2010, 07:55 PM
I have a 5spd BOM 2008 fit I live in San Jose so it'll be nice to have another Fitfreaker nearby. Im pretty sure the handling is up to par because from what i hear its a very popular model for autocross.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by ryanroland
I have a 5spd BOM 2008 fit I live in San Jose so it'll be nice to have another Fitfreaker nearby. Im pretty sure the handling is up to par because from what i hear its a very popular model for autocross.
absolutely! I love BOM, you're a lucky person

Old 10-30-2010, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
I use mine for everything. I race it, and smoke those little garbage cars. I use it to haul the mail <--- get it I can put friends in mine and do all kinds of stuff in the back seat with my Wife, I love the way it can hold a very High R.P.M. and i don't have to worry about blowin my shit up. The balance, super sweet. Fun stuff in the winter. Drift king car in the snow. No worries on tipping it over, you can throw a nasty sound system in it, DVD player in the dash and everybody can watch. Give the chics in the back the remote control, any Kids? Throw'em in the back, crank up the beats and off you go to,....... hell, anywhere. Gas milage, not a problem. Horse power, oh yeah, Kraftwerks Supercharger systems. Wicked nasty, me and my wife have it in one of our two fits. Tons of fun. Tickets, Tickets, Tickets. Shit, wife is back, I gotta go.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by knowdirt
I use mine for everything. I race it, and smoke those little garbage cars. I use it to haul the mail <--- get it I can put friends in mine and do all kinds of stuff in the back seat with my Wife, I love the way it can hold a very High R.P.M. and i don't have to worry about blowin my shit up. The balance, super sweet. Fun stuff in the winter. Drift king car in the snow. No worries on tipping it over, you can throw a nasty sound system in it, DVD player in the dash and everybody can watch. Give the chics in the back the remote control, any Kids? Throw'em in the back, crank up the beats and off you go to,....... hell, anywhere. Gas milage, not a problem. Horse power, oh yeah, Kraftwerks Supercharger systems. Wicked nasty, me and my wife have it in one of our two fits. Tons of fun. Tickets, Tickets, Tickets. Shit, wife is back, I gotta go.
well, thanks for making me more impatient about this whole ordeal. when you said smoke those little garbage cars, what were you talking about? Miatas?

I cant say whether or not youve smoked miatas (if thats what youre talking about) BUT, Miatas are NOT garbage cars. Its the best $2000 ive spent!

Old 10-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah, it does just fine on those twisty backroads (I'm down near Monterey).

It's not going to have quite the same driving dynamics to which you've been accustomed. The Fit displays great road manners and feel for a front-driver, but when you're mid-corner, lifting the throttle to correct understeer is nowhere NEAR as satisfying as giving the throttle a bit of extra kick and countersteering.

I don't think he was talking about Miatas... nobody who pretends to like cars, particularly lightweight driver's cars, would sneer at the Miata/MX-5. Even in their stock form in 1989, their power/weight balance was better than the Fit... 115 hp for 2150 lbs, delivered to the correct tires, near perfect 50:50 weight balance.

How is the legroom in those things? I loved the S2000, until I sat in it, and there wasn't much room to get my foot off the clutch (my knee would hit the door panel). They just don't make roadsters for dudes with a 35" inseam.

Leave it to the Japanese to make the perfect British roadster.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
If you are inclined to go fast and can turn a wrench just a tad better than a monkey the GD3 and about $6000 spent on the KraftWerks high boost supercharger kit will make you totally forget about the Miata... Maybe not completely forget but changing some suspension and exhaust components will have you smiling big time... I have hauled some big tube and solid state amps and stuff in mine with ease...

Old 10-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
If you are inclined to go fast and can turn a wrench just a tad better than a monkey the GD3 and about $6000 spent on the KraftWerks high boost supercharger kit will make you totally forget about the Miata... Maybe not completely forget but changing some suspension and exhaust components will have you smiling big time... I have hauled some big tube and solid state amps and stuff in mine with ease...
Oh okay. I love the idea of forced induction but i scared of hurting my engine in the long run. Id definitely start with suspension. Thanks though, good tip! I got a lot of Fender Tube amps that are pretty tough to fit in my miata.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Occam

It's not going to have quite the same driving dynamics to which you've been accustomed. The Fit displays great road manners and feel for a front-driver, but when you're mid-corner, lifting the throttle to correct understeer is nowhere NEAR as satisfying as giving the throttle a bit of extra kick and countersteering.

I don't think he was talking about Miatas... nobody who pretends to like cars, particularly lightweight driver's cars, would sneer at the Miata/MX-5. Even in their stock form in 1989, their power/weight balance was better than the Fit... 115 hp for 2150 lbs, delivered to the correct tires, near perfect 50:50 weight balance.

How is the legroom in those things? I loved the S2000, until I sat in it, and there wasn't much room to get my foot off the clutch (my knee would hit the door panel). They just don't make roadsters for dudes with a 35" inseam.

haha yeah, stock the miatas are fantastic, I still grin while coming out of turn with a little oversteer while pushing my 3rd gear.

Legroom isnt fantastic but Im fine. my left knee is pretty much the same as you described and im 6'1". 35 inch inseam, damn man I cant imagine.

THE FIT IS COMING AT SOME POINT

Old 12-03-2010, 07:14 AM
The fit will be nimble. I like that I can put mine in fourth gear while going up hill, step on it and I'm flying. This car is amazing. You will not be disappointed. But test drive a few before you decide. Like anything, give it a go first and then make your choice.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't know about flying up a hill - torque for climbing grades isn't a strong point!

Old 12-03-2010, 04:49 PM
That's my experience. I live in the hills and my car pulls no problem in fourth. Maybe mine is a special model

Old 12-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Originally Posted by Occam

Both of these are right on the money.

Occam has some crazy long legs apparently haha

I am 6'4 with plenty of head room, and a 34" inseam and the footwell is a bit cramped (no traditional heel-toe work, but one can improvise and still achieve the same effect) you will miss power on oversteer and the slightly better HP/weight ratio, but the GD makes up for it in other areas IMHO.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by jamesepoop
That's my experience. I live in the hills and my car pulls no problem in fourth. Maybe mine is a special model
Auto or MT... remember, the manual in 4th is geared like the auto in 5th... I know in my AT, on long hill climbs, it will drop to 4th and then try to hunt down to third. If you're on a hill and lock it in 4th and lock it there, and put the pedal down, it will hold it's speed okay, but that's about it.

Honestly, it feels about like every other Honda 4-banger I've owned (this is the fifth). Nothing like a V6 or V8 hill climbing power, or being on my motorcycle where downshifting to climb is usually not necessary (6lbs/hp help there ;-) )

EDIT: DOH! The auto in 4th is geared like the manual in 5th... Friday brain-deaded-ness strikes again.

Last edited by Occam; 12-04-2010 at 12:25 AM.