1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

trouble with GD1

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Lightbulb trouble with GD1

Hello everyone

I have just imported a Honda FIT GD1 from Japan to Ireland
My first Honda...

When it arrived, it was running perfect but then it started to develop the issue with the gear slipping.... It is making this noise when taking off from the stop position but driving and responding well when in motion... I read through many posts here that the CVT oil needs to be changed after 10 to 15 k kilometers... So i decided to do it my self... however i cannot figure out how to go about it. I have bought HONDA CVT-F from Stealership...

Can someone point me the right direction....
e.g: what sort of tools i need, how much it will in LITRES to fill it up again... when filling up, where the oil should reach on the dip stick marking when i should stop pouring more in... etc...

also, the mileage is 115000kms... i thought i would it a service.
I changed the oil.... 10W40
Changed the Oil Filter
Changed the air filter but then i did a mistake, the air flow sensor, on the back of the casing of air filter, i left it unplugged and started the car and diagnostic light came on.... i realized my mistake and put that back in... but light is still on... any suggestions for that....

The stealership told me that this particular model takes 8 plugs... but i can see only 4 of them... so where about the the other 4 are located... i wanted to change the plugs... took the old DENSO one's out and tried to install the new NGK's.... they were not so smooth to screw.... So i took them out again and noticed a physical difference between the DENSO and NGK and went back to the stealership and they showed me in their parts' directory and the plugs they gave me were right.... so i came back again... anyway, very carefully i screw them back again... started engine again and it sounded as everything is fine except the diagnostic light... but then when i pressed the gas pedal, it felt like it is miss firing on the higher revs... i have checked the plugs again and again and nothing seems to be wrong...

any ideas anyone

a) DIY CVT oil change in GD1
b) DIY diagnostic light reset
c) the misfires....

Old 01-14-2011, 06:07 AM
5 Year Member
Congratulations on the purchase of your first Honda. There are not many European or Asian spec Fit/Jazz owners post on here since this forum is based in the US, but I'll try to help you as best as I possibly can. I found a site that lists gobs of info regarding the Honda Fit/Jazz of various engine and transmission options, though the images aren't that great unless you reduce the image size.

Here is the link to it: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.htm

Here is a DIY on FitFreak for changing the spark plugs...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...l15a-vtec.html

And here is the instructions from HFJ...

Ignition Coil Removal/Installation (L12A/L13A)

Yes, this is for the L15A1 VTEC engine but I imagine the i-DSI (thats what you'd have if you do have 8 spark plugs) would be a similar setup. You have the 4 spark plugs on both sides of the head. The spark plugs on your i-DSI engine should be similar to the L15A1's on the side closest to the firewall but the other 4 plugs should be mirrored and on the opposite side of the head.

As far as a DIY for the CVT, I couldn't find one here after a 5 minute search but here is the link to a CVT fluid change on HondaFitJazz.com.

DO NOT USE ATF INSTEAD OF CVT-F LIKE THE SITE RECOMMENDS! YOU WILL DAMAGE YOUR CVT TRANSMISSION BY DOING SO!

This must have been typed prior to the introduction of CVT-F for the Jazz's/Fit's CVT transmissions. Here is the link from HFJ...

ATF Replacement (CVT)

And here is a link to a DIY on FitFreak for an Automatic transmission. This is just visual aid, again DO NOT USE ATF!

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...lter-pics.html

As for diagnostic reset light, I'm not sure what you mean unless you mean "Check Engine Light". If that is the case, I recommend you going to a place with a OBDII scanner, get the code scanned, troubleshoot the problem, clear the code, and test drive the car. As for misfires, what octane fuel are you using?

For the US spec L15A1, its recommend for us to use 87 octane or higher (not sure what the ratings are at your location) and on asia.vtec.net, its recommended to use at least RON95 (again, not sure what the ratings are at your location). The mention of fuel recommendation is listed in the Fuel Economy section in the link below.

GD3 Honda Fit Jazz VTEC Full Review

I hope this helps.