1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Aircon dead!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Aircon dead!!!

Hi. I live in Zimbabwe and right now the weather is burning the skin right of your bones!!

As I was driving yesterday, with the cool breeze of the AC whistling past my ears, suddenly, the breeze turned it into a hot wall of hellish fire! For no reason I cant get cold air!!!

The A/C light on the dashboard still lights up and I even hear the fans kick in when I press the button. This is leading me to think that maybe its something wrong with the refrigeration side of things because there is usually that click that comes every minute or so when you have the AC on but its now gone. And when I switch on the AC the rev meter increases slightly for about 3 seconds instead of the usual decrease in revs meaning that the computer side is fine as the car is compensating for the impending load of the A/C system.

I had a quick test for gas yesterday and the meter read fine.

So do any of you have any idea of what could be going on with the A/C because I'm hoping its not a major problem as I can only access a mechanic in about a weeks time!

Thank you.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tapiwa
Hi. I live in Zimbabwe and right now the weather is burning the skin right of your bones!!

As I was driving yesterday, with the cool breeze of the AC whistling past my ears, suddenly, the breeze turned it into a hot wall of hellish fire! For no reason I cant get cold air!!!

The A/C light on the dashboard still lights up and I even hear the fans kick in when I press the button. This is leading me to think that maybe its something wrong with the refrigeration side of things because there is usually that click that comes every minute or so when you have the AC on but its now gone. And when I switch on the AC the rev meter increases slightly for about 3 seconds instead of the usual decrease in revs meaning that the computer side is fine as the car is compensating for the impending load of the A/C system.

I had a quick test for gas yesterday and the meter read fine.

So do any of you have any idea of what could be going on with the A/C because I'm hoping its not a major problem as I can only access a mechanic in about a weeks time!

Thank you.
Get your freon recharge to get your cold air back.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:04 AM
same problem me to facing any solution please............

Old 05-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the reply...will a lack of freon gas just immediately make it stop blowing cold air?...because it did seem to be cooling quite normally until it suddenly blowing the "magical" air :-)

Old 05-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Check your filter located behind the glove box. It may be clogged.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Yokomohoyo
Check your filter located behind the glove box. It may be clogged.
Ok..I'll have to check that tomorrow morning because Im just about to sleep...is it particularly hard to find or is one of those things you can't just miss?

Old 05-13-2011, 03:02 PM
It's simple open the glove box and press and hold the edges inwards and gently pull it outwards. You'll see the filter their. And rule if thumb if it is white or cream its ok. If its brown or darker that means change it as soon as you can.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:47 PM
[quote=Tapiwa;992634]Thanks for the reply...will a lack of freon gas just immediately make it stop blowing cold air?...quote]
The answer is yes.