1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Done Complaining...time to fix stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Done Complaining...time to fix stuff

In another thread (not related to this at all) Mahout wrote:

We all know our Fits are a compromise to endure the current economics conditions. And the Fit is the best compromise there is for a daily driver.
That got me thinking that rather than be mad about the things that the Fit is not I may as well take the positive approach and enjoy what the Fit IS. It's not going to replace my WRX but for the current economic situation it is what I need. I can get behind that. So in that spirit I have been looking at some simple mods that I could do that would make it a more enjoyable ride and still keep its practicality as a DD (and kid hauler).

What I am finding is:

1. Progress ASB (cheap but I suspect not something I can install)
2. JDM center console (a bit spendy but easy to install)
3. shim the front seat up (easy)
4. Dead petal (easy)
5. Cold Air intake (easy and not too pricey)
6. Replace the shifter knob (hate that thing)

Can't do much about the P.O.S. carpet it appears (no options) so I'll need to simply ignore it. Does that sound about right?

Old 09-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Old 09-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Smile And these?

Carpet problem solved:
WeatherTech Automotive Accessories - Floor Mats All-Weather - 2007 Honda Fit - All-Weather Car Floor Mats by WeatherTech - traps water, road salt, mud and sand

Parking meter change problem solved (ha, just like my Wagon's!):
http://www.icbmotorsport.com/jdmfitcohobo.html

Shifter problem solved:
http://www.icbmotorsport.com/jdmushoalsi5.html

Last edited by unowho; 09-17-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
That Progress bar is super easy to install. It's about as hard as the dead pedal, just the parts are heavier... and you'll use a jack for that. It's a worthwhile option.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Okay then...made the first few moves toward a new and more enjoyable Fit.

It's a daily driver but we have our share of twisties up that it's nice if the commute can be somewhat fun. The stock Fit leans a bit much for my tastes. No too interested in lowering as that wouldn't be too practual around here. Better shocks and springs might be nice.

As far as performance goes...there is only so much that is practical out of that little engine. I'm ot going to drop $2K to put a turbo in...kinda defeats the whole point of a economical little ride. Looking to keep it economically and practical...just a bit more fun.

So far I've found a SRI (from a board member)...not a CAI but it's too wet up here for that and from what I undertstand the SRI will still give me a bit more zoom. Next up is A rear sway bar and that'll likely make it just enough better to suit me.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by D50boy
That Progress bar is super easy to install. It's about as hard as the dead pedal, just the parts are heavier... and you'll use a jack for that. It's a worthwhile option.
I gotta remove the springs though right? Doesn't that mean I need a spring compressor? The wheel removal and car on jacks I can do.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dixeyk
I gotta remove the springs though right? Doesn't that mean I need a spring compressor? The wheel removal and car on jacks I can do.
the rear spring/shocks arnt connected to each other so no need for a spring compressor. once you jack the car up you'll see.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by willitfit
the rear spring/shocks arnt connected to each other so no need for a spring compressor. once you jack the car up you'll see.
Okay, that's good to know, maybe I CAN do the RSB.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
So as I undertand it...

RSB is the best bang for the buck to improve the overall handling of a Fit. There are a lot of opinion on this but I have always subscribed to the opinion that a RSB is a good addition. My 80 Civic didn't have one so it made a huge difference. On the 80 Civic (if I recall) it also benefitted from a larger front bar. The general idea at the time was don't bother with the engine but easy upgrades to the suspension, wheels, tires and such made a much more enjoyable ride..and it did. It was awfully fun for a 70hp car. Seems to me that the Fit is very similar. The bits have changed but the approach hasn't.

In that spirit would a FSB (or perhaps a front strut) help? I'm 51 and not interested in making the Fit into a pocket rocket...but when driving down a twisty mountain pass (of which we have more than a few) I like to have some fun. The goal is neutral handling. The RSB is going to increase oversteer correct? Should I not also address the front to bring it back more toward neutral? Or...is the Fit such that the RSB balances things out to the point where that's all that's needed. That seems to be a common opinion here on these forums.

Last edited by dixeyk; 09-19-2011 at 10:37 PM.