1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

08 Fit Sport M/T grinding

Old 12-04-2011, 06:07 PM
08 Fit Sport M/T grinding

Hey all,

So about a month ago I took my car into the dealership with about 65,000 miles on it. It's a Certified Pre-Owned, and from what I can tell, fluids aren't covered, but my Powertrain is covered up to 7 years or 100,000 miles.

Honda Certified Used Cars - Warranty Information

Long story short, I keep grinding my gears, most noticeably from 3rd down into 2nd. It feels like there's slop in the linkage, or maybe a bad synchro. I will have my shifter all the way down into the slot, clutch all the way down to the floor, and you can feel a bit of some kind of resistance in the shifter, like it doesn't want to go into gear, and as I let off the clutch it grinds. It feels the same way when my car has been parked and I go to put it into reverse, you know, the way reverse usually does because it's a straight-toothed gear, so you have to press the clutch in and out a couple of times to get it into reverse.

I took the car in, and they guy rushed the hell out of me without answering my questions on what exactly he checked for the issue. He then turned the tables on me insinuating that I used incorrect transmission fluid, when I've only owned the car for a few months. He deflected when I asked about the transmission linkages and bushings, and said he changed the fluid in the transmission and charged me $80. Fluid isn't covered, and it seemed to help a little, but the problem still exists. Basically his attitude conveyed that they know something is funny, but they don't want to address it and eat the cost.

I was wondering if any of you could arm me with some knowledge to take with me to sort this out to where I don't have to pay for it, or get scammed with the old "sawdust in the gearbox" routine, you know, where they want to string me along until the warranty wears out. You can really feel the notchiness when shifting, and hear an audible "clank" when shifting, especially with the window down.

My warranty booklet (see link above) states that the powertrain stuff is covered for 7 years or 100,000 miles from the original purchase date, and this includes anything that exists due to normal wear and tear, and does not include anything that had existed before I purchased the car. I have a copy of their checklist that states the transmission had no issues, just in case they try to say that the issue existed before I bought the car, kind of a catch-22 sort of thing I guess.

I'm no mechanic and I don't have access to a shop or any friends that could check anything for me to let me know what to say when I go in. Being that a rebuild would be under warranty, I know that they're going to address the issue with making sure there is no problem, instead of going out of their way to look for a problem.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by W.Crispy; 12-04-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:23 AM
Similar sound...

Well...
My car is making the same noise...
Any update?

Thanks,