1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Ran 2008 Fit without oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Ran 2008 Fit without oil

Ran my 2008 Fit without oil after honda did oil change and drain plug came loose and fell out. Only lite to come on was check engine and no low oil lite at all so I drove it 13 miles home. Next morning after I could see in day lite I could see oil all over back and side of my car so I check oil and nothing on dip stick so I put some oil in and I could see it run out. Tow to nearest auto place and they told me it had no oil plug. Told honda and they came and got it and did a compression check and and said all was good. Drove it home and about 60 miles later it has started to miss fire so I took it back to honda and they ran a computer check and it had missed fired on 2 and number 4 cyl. They drove and said it ran fine for them after they reset puter. I started my drive home again and about 20 miles down the road it started to miss again but like before only missing once in a while and engine lite is now on. So what would you peeps do if you were me. Thanks Poohhill

Old 01-29-2012, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
I can tell you that I've known people who lost all their oil in their airplanes and flown them home after an hour and had no damage whatsoever. I don't think you'll have any problem with a 13 mile drive as it was being lost. Don't worry about it.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Demand a new engine!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
lucky for you you had the oil change at the Honda dealer so hopefuly you can get them to make it right, what ever the cost

Old 01-29-2012, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IcebergS2000
Demand a new engine!
I don't think that will work as they will just tell him it was his responsibility to make sure that he did not operate the car once the oil light went on. Most warranties will not cover you if you continue to operate your vehicle when a warning light comes on.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:00 PM
If Honda left the oil plug out it's their baby now. Call Honda America and lodge a complaint, include their trying to blow you off as well. That engine needs a complete going over to assure it's right. Misfires are not good indications of that.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Let us know what they say about the problem. What do you or any others suppose is the scenario that led to the engine missing?

Old 01-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Car ran without oil. Strange that it didn't show up right away, but an oil plug not torqued in will loosen and drop out. Bad compression will trip mis-fire code. Rings, valve guides, head gasket will have taken a hit running on no oil. That engine ran hot. Dealer needs to do a complete compression/leak down test to diagnose/eliminate problems.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by poohhill
Ran my 2008 Fit without oil after honda did oil change and drain plug came loose and fell out. Only lite to come on was check engine and no low oil lite at all so I drove it 13 miles home. Next morning after I could see in day lite I could see oil all over back and side of my car so I check oil and nothing on dip stick so I put some oil in and I could see it run out. Tow to nearest auto place and they told me it had no oil plug. Told honda and they came and got it and did a compression check and and said all was good. Drove it home and about 60 miles later it has started to miss fire so I took it back to honda and they ran a computer check and it had missed fired on 2 and number 4 cyl. They drove and said it ran fine for them after they reset puter. I started my drive home again and about 20 miles down the road it started to miss again but like before only missing once in a while and engine lite is now on. So what would you peeps do if you were me. Thanks Poohhill
Your dealer is at fault; no matter what the mechanic did the dealer is at fault although you may have to hire a lawyer to prosecute them. The damage is not likely to show up in compression tests.
The best way is by oil pressure testing or sound; any clicking noises are suspect of bearing damage.
Oil pressure testing is best done by a professional; the engine oil pressure gage isn't accurate enough. And yes follow up with Honda, bird dog, bird dog, bird dog. And inspect the spark plugs for signs of oil; the reason for your misfire could well be fouled plugs due to ring damage.
In any case, because the plug may not have fallen out til you got home it is possible little damage was done. In that case you still want a clear statement from the dealer concerning the checks they made and the reason for the tests as documentation for engine damages that may not show up til later.
If your small claims court limit is high enough you can sue for at least $3500 to furnish a full rebuild - probably from a good engine rebuilder in your area. That may not be your dealer.
Regardless of the kind of oil, running 13 miles with no oil has to damage bearings at least. You might be lucky enough that the plug didn't fall out for 12 miles, but not if you drove more than a mile or two with no oil. Have you tried to retrace your route to see where the oil first showed up on the road? And looked for the plug? With witnesses. That will be critical for an attorney if you need one. Or your dealer if he's willing to accept resonsibility.
But first tell, not ask, the dealer your expect a new engine or a thorough rebuild.. And before going any further document the engine serial number and your transmission serial number by tracing or preferably a good quality photograph.
As far the oil changer, who's not likely a mechanic, is concerned he will be fired. Obviously he didn't torque check the plug.
Be aware that this isn't going to be fun for you or them. Ask the dealer to provide a used vehicle of some kind to handle your transportation if your Fit was your only mode of tranaporatation.
Good luck.

Last edited by mahout; 01-29-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
None of this explains why the low pressure oil light ever went on. If the car oil light is inoperable and you lost all your oil, this may be an easy bargaining point for your claims to Honda and the dealer.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:35 PM
I was told by the mechanic that first looked at it he was not a honda mechanic, that the engine lite more than likely over road the oil lite. First thing at 13 miles from home . I notice was the cruise control stop working and then engine lite came on. Then I started to lose power due to engine shutting down. But I still had power but I could not accelerate hardly at all but I could hold a steady speed. Never heard any pinging or engine noise and still don't. Its just missing a lot or stumbles. Think I will tell them better put in new engine for this looks like more trouble down the road. Was hoping not to go that way but looks like only way. Poohhill By the way first mechanic said he stamped engine.

Last edited by poohhill; 01-29-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-29-2012, 05:43 PM
If they claim that there's no permanent damage and the car is just fine, you can always tell them that if the car is fine to put their money where their mouth is and pay you full retail book value for the car on a trade-in and all will be forgiven!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
It's still odd that the oil light didn't go on well before the engine light or you experienced any real problems. But, based on your description, it was a major problem that should be addressed by diagnostics at the dealers expense. You might have to contact the Honda headquarters to get the ball going on the next step.... the dealer will, most likely, continue to put you off with excuses. Just document everything chronologically, so you can present your arguments. Take notes of EVERYTHING!!!!!

Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
That is the main reason why I do my own oil changes!! Don't let them blow you off, document EVERYTHING, and STAY ON THEM!!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about it but its a good testament of the oil. What type do you use?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Whatever Honda uses for oil. I had lifetime oil change at Honda every 5000 miles. Paid extra 240 dollars for it when I bought the car. I started car that morning after for about 30 seconds and still had no oil lite just to see if I could hear anything bad. Thanks peeps will let you know how it turns out for driving 40 miles to Honda tomorrow on I hope at least 2 cylinders.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by poohhill
Whatever Honda uses for oil. I had lifetime oil change at Honda every 5000 miles. Paid extra 240 dollars for it when I bought the car. I started car that morning after for about 30 seconds and still had no oil lite just to see if I could hear anything bad. Thanks peeps will let you know how it turns out for driving 40 miles to Honda tomorrow on I hope at least 2 cylinders.
Good luck and Hope honor their mistake by rebuilding or putting in a new motor if needed.

They use Kendall oil BTW and is a great oil with good UOAs.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Am I hearing there's still no oil in it? If so, I would seriously get a plug and put oil in before driving off, or did I miss something?

Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 PM
I had it towed and more I think about it I'm starting to believe the first mechanic that check it out. Hes saying the engine lite over wrote the oil lite.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator
It sounds as though the car went into limp mod, the ECU will do that to try and protect the engine. You lose power and cant rev past 3K rpms.

Quick Reply: Ran 2008 Fit without oil