1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

for those that dont already know- Hondata

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
@ DSM - HA, my laptop is a 4 year old netbook rocking 32 bit XP Pro We may end up using the tuners book at first and then I can tweak from there

@ Wafuls - You KNOW it. I plan to document as much as possible, and the shop and tuner want to write up an article as my Fit is hopefully the first of many...

@silver gd - Im excited to see what we can make happen as well!

The current relevant modifications for power are as follows:
AEM CAI Intake
DC sport 4-1 ceramic header
Skunk2 60mm cat back exhaust
Denso IK-22 plugs and 91 octane pump gas

I am also running AMSOIL Signature Series 100% Synthetic 0W-20, but I do not think that will factor as much.

Here is hoping we see something fun/interesting with just the basic I/H/E GD bolt ons...

Old 11-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Sick, we kinda have the same setup... i have a k&n short ram intake, DC headers, and a buddy club spec cat-back as well as denso spark plugs and also run on 91 octane gas..... definitely can't wait to see your review on the flash pro!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by silver gd
Sick, we kinda have the same setup... i have a k&n short ram intake, DC headers, and a buddy club spec cat-back as well as denso spark plugs and also run on 91 octane gas..... definitely can't wait to see your review on the flash pro!!!
Haha, sounds good. Personally I am NOT a fan of short ram... and I know there was some controversy initially with the K&N when it came out, but looks like we will see see similar results.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Let us know asap on your results TPColgett!!

Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Current ETA for my Flashpro is Fri...

Old 11-08-2012, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
Ive been eyeing it, but wanted to see how well it worked/#'s on someone elses car first before laying down the cash.

swade

Old 11-08-2012, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by swade
Ive been eyeing it, but wanted to see how well it worked/#'s on someone elses car first before laying down the cash.

swade
DO you have any kind of performance parts on your car right now? Do you plan to mod the car down the road? If yes to either of those questions then get the Flashpro. That way you can get the most out of the parts you spent your hard earned money on. Dont worry about what #'s other people make

Old 11-08-2012, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
I think if this were available for the GE I would buy it even though I've no mods. I know I was saying differently earlier, but now I think it would be worth it even just to monitor the car at a level of detail far beyond what most people would want. I would bet you that at some point I would find some parameter I could improve.

Of course I would have to convince the wife to let me mess with the ECU on a perfectly functioning car. It might be easier to convince her to let me get new shocks since they already complains the car wobbles on the highway (you know if my not-car-fan WIFE notices this, that it's a real issue!)

But also, I have just ordered an Arduino to play with and if I can manage to work that without breaking it, I probably could convince her that a monitoring tool for the Fit is something I can handle

Just out of morbid curiosity. What happens if you plug (any) flashpro thing into a different car? Is there any functionality at all? I'm wondering if, say, a CRZ one might work on a Insight or Civic Hybrid or Fit, etc. Has anyone EVER heard of someone seeing what happens if you attach this to a car different than the model it's supposed to mate to?

Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 AM
GD ECU is closest to the S2000.. GE ECU is closest to the TSX.

My guess, you fire up the software, plug in to the OBD port, turn the key to on and try to connect.. only to get an error message.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
DO you have any kind of performance parts on your car right now? Do you plan to mod the car down the road? If yes to either of those questions then get the Flashpro. That way you can get the most out of the parts you spent your hard earned money on. Dont worry about what #'s other people make
+1. If you plan at all to modify the GD Fit to make any more power, the Flashpro allows the head room to make ANY change needed. The major bottle neck in making more power with a GD (other than the tiny ports in the head) is that the OEM ECU is "smart." It will re learn and compensate for I think its up to 15% off additional flow and will re tune to an "economy" style map.

Effectively, to get ANY added power from my I/H/E I have been re setting the ECU before and between every AutoX run. Also, putting in the cooler spark plugs and running high octane is making the car pull some timing. This has been the MOST effective power increase to date.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by TPColgett
+1. If you plan at all to modify the GD Fit to make any more power, the Flashpro allows the head room to make ANY change needed. The major bottle neck in making more power with a GD (other than the tiny ports in the head) is that the OEM ECU is "smart." It will re learn and compensate for I think its up to 15% off additional flow and will re tune to an "economy" style map.

Effectively, to get ANY added power from my I/H/E I have been re setting the ECU before and between every AutoX run. Also, putting in the cooler spark plugs and running high octane is making the car pull some timing. This has been the MOST effective power increase to date.
The ECU reads values that would dictate greater load/torque and brings it back into the fold with fueling, spark timing and throttle position.

The real bottle neck for the GD and the GE is definitely the ECU.

And FWIW the colder plugs/better fuel is letting the car add timing (greater advance)

As it stands.. I am of the opinion that the GE cylinder head's exhaust situation is a bigger problem for power production modification than the GD. In spite of the diminuitive valve/port situation that both have, good power can be made.

But you are most constrained when it comes to significant gains with the limits imposed by an integrated exhaust manifold and a poorly designed rectangular collector.

Runner diameter, length and port shape on intake and exhaust are the next biggest determinant of VE curves after the camshaft.

You have the ability to modify both on the GD, you are stuck with one on the GE.

My plans for very high VE at very high rpm to make my airflow goals are simply not an option with the GE head.

I'd be curious to see where, on an NA GE for instance a bigger lobe with more duration would stop providing gains due to the exhaust side. Of the overseas GEs I had a hand in that are pushing real power, all of them are on the stock cam and springs.

The big power GE turbo cars are sort of the same, though they are making considerably more torque, it falls in a similar fashion and in some cases at almost the same rate as the NA motors where they opted for the smaller turbine housings..

Old 11-08-2012, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
hi! on sale? how to buy?

Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
The ECU reads values that would dictate greater load/torque and brings it back into the fold with fueling, spark timing and throttle position.

The real bottle neck for the GD and the GE is definitely the ECU.

And FWIW the colder plugs/better fuel is letting the car add timing (greater advance)
Thank you for the clarification! You for sure know more about this than most of us mere mortals

Runner diameter, length and port shape on intake and exhaust are the next biggest determinant of VE curves after the camshaft.

If I am reading this correctly, and my limited knowledge in theory is accurate, then to continue looking for gains in my NA application, If I do not cam the car (bumps me several SCCA classes ) My only major areas for improvement are intake and exhaust?

Since my ability to modify the intake tract is limited to everything before the throttle body It seems like I will need to see what can be done on the Exhaust side, where I am allowed a High Flow Cat within 6 inches of the original cat mounting point..... Since my goal is to AutoX the car, I am really looking for ANY Torque and mid range gains... SO I am thinking of attempting a long runnered exhaust similar to this:
Name:  191313_339889252761714_1946809185_o.jpg
Views: 5003
Size:  37.6 KB

This is the exhaust used by last years national class winner on a Mazda 2... but the long runners and weight savings are what I am looking for...

Thoughts?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Mine should be here Thursday I got mine from a flashpro group buy on 8thcivic.com.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
guys somebody already ordered or bought?

Old 11-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Several of us have. Go read the link on page one to educate yourself and decide if you are going to buy one.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Yes it's out there and yes I finally have mine!
Name:  20121113_170258_HDR-1.jpg
Views: 5008
Size:  467.5 KB
No further details are available as my dyno time got pushed back later in the week. Once I have concrete documented results I will share all with the class

Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Super jelly brah.

Mine is being expressed over due to some delays lol

BTW one big advantage for you is, with a raised redline.. to say 7900rpm you can get out of first at 39-40mph and 2nd will run to 60-61mph... 3rd will do almost 90.

Should save you a couple shifts per lap. You should try and see if a more aggressive timing/fuel scheme will let you mask our terrible top end VE

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-13-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
Yes it's out there and yes I finally have mine!

No further details are available as my dyno time got pushed back later in the week. Once I have concrete documented results I will share all with the class
**In ghetto voice** Aw shit son! Install it and give us on feedback!

Super jelly brah.

BTW one big advantage for you is, with a raised redline.. to say 7900rpm you can get out of first at 39-40mph and 2nd will run to 60-61mph... 3rd will do almost 90.

Should save you a couple shifts per lap. You should try and see if a more aggressive timing/fuel scheme will let you mask our terrible top end VE
Huh... well if that's true then for an A/T Fit in 3rd gear should be able to clear 100mph (~93mph at stock redline/fuel cut).

Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Super jelly brah.

Lame on delays! I had a few too lol My next AutoX is this coming Sun so the plan is to have it in the car and on a dyno by Fri...

And on most of our AutoX courses I top out at like 47-49 mph... I think initially I will only bump it to 7K to make it easier to grab 2nd. Plans to bump higher will have to wait till I can either find more power up there OR till I can get the side motor built

Last edited by TPColgett; 11-13-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: for those that dont already know- Hondata