1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

fit hesitate while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yanz
hi everybody!

I've just purchase a fit! enjoy it so far. however, I think there is a problem with the car but I can't find it

car is manual, when accelerating from low rpm (2k and under) the car is actigh rough, it gives "hits". (really hard for me to describe as I don't speak english very well)

it feels like being in 5th gear at 10 mph and I floor the gaz pedal (like if the car would stop / big hesitation) but it does that everytime I'm at 2k rpm and under and I give more than half the trottle

my guess so far

-clogged something (catalysor, gaz filter, spark plug...dunno)
-head gasket (car don't smoke / drip)

I've also checked the air filter and it's new

I know fit have no torque but I can't belive this is normal

is this something you have already heard of? common problem?

fit is a 2007 with 80K miles

thank you a lot for your input.
it is quite common fo coil paks and plugs to begin failing at 80k miles. If your Fit has an OBD type connection you can see which coils are going bad with a specialk inspection tool. If not you cannot merely look at coil paks to see if they are bad; the failure is in the elrectronics. You can see the plugs by the color around the gap, the gap itself, and the condition of the plug. In any base at 80k miles you can expect to replace the plugs and hold the gap to 0.9 to 1 mm. If that doesn't clear the hesitation you can buy one coil pak and substitute one new one in each cylinder and see if the hesitation goes away; if it doesn't you probably have 2 coil paks going bad. Once you see that go replace all 4 and plugs.
Hondas, and all other cars today, are not maintenance free and are a lot more costly than it used to be. all those coil paks and plugs cost US$400 to 500 here so they aren't cheap but you have bought a Fit coming up on those maintenance items. good luck with minimizing the costs or at least spreading it out over a year. cheers. there are a lot of other cars that are far worst in how often those coil paks and plugs fail !
PS when you inspect the plugs make sure to clean and regap them, perhaps at 0.7 to 0.8 mm.
about 0.035".

Last edited by mahout; 12-20-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
I recently ordered a set of 4 plugs (e3.48) and coils (Hitachi IGC0053) oem parts at Autoplicity. They charged shipping & tax, but the total was still just under $250.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by yanz
hi everybody!

I've just purchase a fit! enjoy it so far. however, I think there is a problem with the car but I can't find it

car is manual, when accelerating from low rpm (2k and under) the car is actigh rough, it gives "hits". (really hard for me to describe as I don't speak english very well)

it feels like being in 5th gear at 10 mph and I floor the gaz pedal (like if the car would stop / big hesitation) but it does that everytime I'm at 2k rpm and under and I give more than half the trottle

my guess so far

-clogged something (catalysor, gaz filter, spark plug...dunno)
-head gasket (car don't smoke / drip)

I've also checked the air filter and it's new

I know fit have no torque but I can't belive this is normal

is this something you have already heard of? common problem?

fit is a 2007 with 80K miles

thank you a lot for your input.
Well mine on 65K was juddering, stuttering on gear changes till 4th gear, worst on 1st and second. And like this i was driving like almost a year, driving me nuts. Changed spark plugs, checked coils, checked car trough obd launch, cleaned EGR, cleaned MAF, fuel additives... Nothing helped.... till last week Saturday normally shopping day, car starts well like always and i left car at night so no lights where left on or ect. And next morning car doesn't start, no crank nothing. Yusu smtn battery have an indicator and that showed recharge... 🙄 So anyway bought new battery... Car is more responsive, 80% less juddering, stuttering... I wouldn't ever imagined.
​​
The only problem still persistent when engine is "cold" just when put on 2nd gear feels like cars engine is breaking for 1 to 2 seconds and then goes. Maybe a minute or two like this and then dissapears. If anyone has any ideas 💡, please let me know!?

Overall car battery saved all i was doing. And i wouldn't ever imagined!

Forgot to mention and just noticed op Jazz is GD mine is GE... I'm in wrong thread tho but still maybe helps someone.