1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Positive battery terminal attachment very loose

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Positive battery terminal attachment very loose

Hello,

I just recently replaced my Yuasa 151r with a Costco 51r battery and I've been very satisfied. However, I had forgotten to slip the little black plastic cap thingie back on one of the brackets that hold down the battery so after work I popped my hood and tugged lightly on the positive and lifted the clip right off the terminal! So I drove home with basically little to no battery and once arrived I got out my 10mm socket and wrench and removed the negative and replaced both clips.

The problem is that no matter how hard I tighten the bolt on the positive terminal, the metal ring is just sitting on the terminal and I can easily pull the clip right off with no effort! However, the negative terminal is on there nice and tight. I'm afraid the clip on the positive terminal could come off by simply driving, or by the weight of the clip of a booster cable. How can I attach the terminal more securely?

Last edited by MTLian; 01-25-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Get a battery post shim:

Lynx/Battery post shim (07769) | | AutoZone.com

Autozone or regular auto stores should carry these and they're cheap.

Do not shove a random piece of metal in (bolt, penny, etc.). You could cut or make a shim as long as it wraps all the way around the post.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Here's a link for your reading pleasure:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...too-small.html

Search works too. Just take your time...

Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the help! I noticed my clips are greased, I guess to prevent corrosion. Should i grease the shim? Will vaseline do, to prevent rust/corrosion? Unfortunately, it seems a shim will me hard to get a kid of in my area.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
Thanks for the help! I noticed my clips are greased, I guess to prevent corrosion. Should i grease the shim? Will vaseline do, to prevent rust/corrosion? Unfortunately, it seems a shim will me hard to get a kid of in my area.
walmart canada sells the battery shims for $5 and a bit

Battery Post Shims (Package of 2)
make: Schumacher Electric
Model: BAF-2

I did the same last week. Installed shims on the +ve and -ve terminal

Vaseline will prevent corrosion

Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kishore
walmart canada sells the battery shims for $5 and a bit

Battery Post Shims (Package of 2)
make: Schumacher Electric
Model: BAF-2

I did the same last week. Installed shims on the +ve and -ve terminal

Vaseline will prevent corrosion
Thanks man! I haven't been able to find the product at Canadian tire so I was gonna try napa next. My negative terminal is tight as can be and won't budge, it's my positive that's the culprit, I wonder why. Edit: I see that the Yuasa has a small neg terminal and a fat positive terminal; I think my 51r has two medium sized posts which must account for the tight neg and loose pos.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks man! I haven't been able to find the product at Canadian tire so I was gonna try napa next. My negative terminal is tight as can be and won't budge, it's my positive that's the culprit, I wonder why. Edit: I see that the Yuasa has a small neg terminal and a fat positive terminal; I think my 51r has two medium sized posts which must account for the tight neg and loose pos.
My battery is also from costco 51r. The negative termial was snug enough.

Shims come in a pack of 2 and I am definate 3/4/5 years down when I have to change the battery I will not find the shim in my shead, so the best place was to use on the negative terminal (its better fitting now)

Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kishore
My battery is also from costco 51r. The negative termial was snug enough.

Shims come in a pack of 2 and I am definate 3/4/5 years down when I have to change the battery I will not find the shim in my shead, so the best place was to use on the negative terminal (its better fitting now)
I might have to do the mod on my aunts car since she will start parking outside. I'll keep it handy for that. I'm gonna look into the felt washer that fit under the clips, they are supposed to help prevent corrosion better than Vaseline, which can have an adverse effect on conductivity.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
On the Topic that Subie posted, this was my contribution:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...ml#post1086123

I like it because it complements my lifestyle.

BTW, I replaced the battery on my CRV a couple months ago, and had to use my own advice.

The important thing to remember is, the improvised shim should only go half-way around, so that the terminal clamp and post have a good contact area!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Hello,

I just recently replaced my Yuasa 151r with a Costco 51r battery and I've been very satisfied. However, I had forgotten to slip the little black plastic cap thingie back on one of the brackets that hold down the battery so after work I popped my hood and tugged lightly on the positive and lifted the clip right off the terminal! So I drove home with basically little to no battery and once arrived I got out my 10mm socket and wrench and removed the negative and replaced both clips.

The problem is that no matter how hard I tighten the bolt on the positive terminal, the metal ring is just sitting on the terminal and I can easily pull the clip right off with no effort! However, the negative terminal is on there nice and tight. I'm afraid the clip on the positive terminal could come off by simply driving, or by the weight of the clip of a booster cable. How can I attach the terminal more securely?
Wrap the terminal with copper strap til the clamp fastens securely.
one or two layers of .050" should do it.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
THE SAGA CONTINUES...
called Canadian Tire, called Wallmart, they don't carry it, called frikkin' Napa auto parts, they still don't have it. All those guys want me to change the terminals instead of putting a shim in there. I'll probably have to order the stupid part from the internet. Jesus H Christ! A stupid shim!

How would one go about changing battery terminal connectors anyway?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 AM
If your really concerned and you want a little piece of mind til you can get the proper piece. I've used aluminum foil on a crx battery post of mine for 2 yrs with no issue. Is a little rigged but it works. I covered the post in a little piece of foil and put the terminal end over it, tightened it down and trimmed off the rest.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ky2k20
If your really concerned and you want a little piece of mind til you can get the proper piece. I've used aluminum foil on a crx battery post of mine for 2 yrs with no issue. Is a little rigged but it works. I covered the post in a little piece of foil and put the terminal end over it, tightened it down and trimmed off the rest.
Well it looks like I have no frikkin' choice! I've even tried circuit city and adisson electronics with no luck. I'm gonna have to go to the store and by some copper foil and make a homebrew adapter or go through the trouble of swapping my connectors. I don't really feel like soldering, I don't know how to change the connectors.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Stop stressing and use my beer-can method.

Besides being fun to obtain, the can's material is easy to cut. Done correctly, you won't even see that it is there (so, no need to use name-brand beers in the performance of the "fix").

Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 PM
We found the battery cover needs modification for the clamps to work right.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:14 AM
Hello,

Here is your fix, less than $3 bucks at most major part stores