1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Water leak in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
If something like that upsets you about a car, you would be better off walking everywhere. Every car has its quarks

I've actually consumed multiple Romulan Ales at Quarks. I only wish my car came with a Dabo girl.

I had not considered the roof antennae only because I have no staining in the roof liner. My water, as minor as it is, seems like it is coming from water hitting the rear bumper and jumping over the gasket. I have put silicon everywhere, yet the same small amount seems to get in after a heavy rainstorm. Again, it is minor and the work around is simply to put a towel under the black snaps at the base of the hatch trim before the water dribbles into the spare tire well.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Banned
did you read the thread about this water coming from the roof? There is a problem with sealing the roof strips and a seam in that area.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
OK, so I have read a few posts regarding leaks coming through the roof rail strip. I don't see how water would get from there down to the base of my spare tire wheel well without staining the inside head liner. But since I have caulked everything else, I'm willing to take a look underneath the roof rail strip. I saw a post that says I am to compress the ends inward to get the strip off. My question now is, what holds the strip on in the first place, and if I take it off, how do I get it back on?

Old 06-13-2013, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
thanks very much loudbang. I got up the courage to push in on the end of one of the rubber roof strips. The thing exploded out like a snake in a can. After cleaning off the two strips and taking out 6 years of pollen from the channels, I saw a hairline crack on the passenger side, right behind the tiny metal post that holds one end of the roof strip down. The crack travels down into the hatch for about 2 inches and stops just to the right of the hatch hinge. I just put some silicone over that area and sealed it up. I also took the towel out of my spare tire well to see if this afternoon's rains fail to find its way down. Crossing my fingers. I'll keep you all informed. This hairline crack could explain the small amount of water that seeps down to the plastic clips at the base of the inside hatch on the passenger's side.
Also, it was interesting that the rubber strips came out very easily due to all the dirt that was in there. After I cleaned out the channel and rubber strip with Lysol, the rubber strip practically molded itself into the channel with the hot sun baking on it. The seal is very tight as the clean rubber molds back in to the hot metal channel.

Last edited by BurntZ; 06-13-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 PM
Banned
Good to hear you may have solved this mystery the DIY way.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit is going to a mechanic this afternoon as I have the same problem. The carpet is
soaked behind the front passenger and there is a lot of water around the spare tire.
If water is found behind the front seats, then that water is coming in through the rear passenger doors...I have a thread that solves that issue.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ed-solved.html

Last edited by Spacecoast; 06-14-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:29 PM
same problem with mine. I just recently check the taillight rubber gasket and It seems fine. Mine only happened when Iam parked.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Water leaking into the rear area seems very common. If this ever happens to mine I would do the following: remove spare tire, remove plastic interior off the hatch, have someone use a hose and test for leaks while you are inside the vehicle. Have the person with the hose start low and work their way up with the hose. This is how I found the problem with the rear passenger doors leaking...as I mentioned I solved that problem.

Also, I would drill a small drain hole where the spare tire sits, if this would become a problem. Much better have a small drain hole than allowing water to sit and be trapped. If you do this, work from under the vehicle so that you don't drill into anything like the fuel tank.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 06-14-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
well all, two rain storms down and no water coming from the bottom black snap at the back of the hatch before it slopes down into the wheel well. Putting some silicone on the hairline crack I found starting under the rear rubber roof strip and going two inches down near the hatch hinge seems to have solved the water issue. If anyone has completely sealed the rubber hatch gasket and the hinges, I recommend taking a look under the two rubber roof rail seals to see if you also have a hairline crack. thanks again to all of you who led me to the discovery.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Well, this thread helped me solve the leak on the passenger side, I'm still leaking on the driver's side though, even though I chased that seam as well. What I used was a spray-on rubber sealant, that I actually sprayed into a plastic cup and brushed on, a layer of butyl-baked aluminum tape, and then a little more goop to cover the edges of that.

I've got some UV-reactive coolant dye for finding leaks on the way, I'm going to put some in a bucket of water and just pour it on the back of the car and trace the leak back it it's source. Thanks for the info, and I'll let you know what I find.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BurntZ
well all, two rain storms down and no water coming from the bottom black snap at the back of the hatch before it slopes down into the wheel well. Putting some silicone on the hairline crack I found starting under the rear rubber roof strip and going two inches down near the hatch hinge seems to have solved the water issue. If anyone has completely sealed the rubber hatch gasket and the hinges, I recommend taking a look under the two rubber roof rail seals to see if you also have a hairline crack. thanks again to all of you who led me to the discovery.
Thank you, BurntZ! I would have never found this without your help.

Path of leak:

Rubber roof strip:

Crack:

Old 07-13-2013, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
you can blame loudbang. He was the one who kicked me in the @ss to give me the confidence to get out there and try to fix it myself. Your pictures are 100% spot on and will help a lot of first generation Fit owners to fix their trunk leak. I find it so odd that there would be some kind of genetic deformity like that, affecting so many owners. Like Linus though, I keep my "blanket" tucked in that bottom corner just in case. Nonetheless, I checked it again after a night of 1-2 inch rainfall and my water problems are solved after caulking that hairline crack. Amazing.

Last edited by BurntZ; 07-13-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:20 AM
Banned
Glad to see you got it solved the DIY way. Great feeling doing it yourself isn't it.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
I have been unsuccessful, except to find that this is a -very- slow leak on the driver's side in the back. I waited 20 minutes after drowning the car in neon-yellow water, with no results, came back an hour later to a small puddle inside the car. Has anyone had the mount for the gas strut leak around the bolts? That's the only other place I could think water would get in.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Since it won't let me edit my previous post, here's what I found. This is probably not an issue with original tail lights, but maybe the gasket is smaller for aftermarket, and doesn't cover this. There are alignment pins on the tail lights' body that nest into these little white plastic cups on the car. These cups had worn loose and water was coming down around the tail lights and dripping into the car through there. I simply popped them out and applied a silicone goop around the hole and the backside of the cup and popped them back into place. Gonna attach a picture of what they look like, in case anyone else might find this info useful.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 AM
Banned
Good find.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Oh thank... i discover this problem last winter, at first i thought is was snow on trunk floor melting and getting dowm to the spare, since i carry my snowboard full of snow often. it was kind of logical. but i have water all the time, somebody ( a guy who sold me 16'' HFP wheel that had a Fit) told me about that leak. your picture seem pretty spot one, i have a Spraycan of 'leak seal' you know that black rubber spray. i sealed other things with it, could it work for that? instead of waiting for rain to test it, use water hose. that what i will do

Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 PM
Banned
Clean the area and mask off anything you don't want sprayed with it and it should work fine. Let it dry to spec before trying water on it.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
I found my leak ...it was the very small cracks in the sealant under the rubber strips on the roof at the hatch. Removed some of it with a sharp blade and resealed it with outdoor sealant. I couldn't believe how such small cracks could let in that much water.

See post 31...... https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1192520-post31.html

Last edited by Marco99; 11-25-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:43 AM
I encountered the same issue. Was a bit of a headache to find the direct cause to the problem. I went to the car wash and sat in the hatch area while someone sprayed my car, I had leaks coming from both the left and right sides. I removed the plastic cover so I could investigate further. I siliconed around the gaskets and thought i had rectified the problem...Until the next rainfall. So again I sat in the hatch while we used 2L bottles full of water to empty all around the hatch opening and roof troughs. Upon taking a closer look I noticed some really bad stress cracks. I bought some freeze proof silicone and removed the troughs and siliconed the crap out of it. PROBLEM SOLVED... follow the link someone else posted below and hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Water leak in trunk