1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Water leak in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Question Water leak in trunk

To my dismay, I noticed a pool of frozen ice in the trunk underneath the liner where the spare tire is. I don't know how water could have leaked in there. The trunk liner seems dry. Has anyone else had this problem with the Fit?

Old 03-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I've not had an issue with my Fit but I had a chevy wagon that did the same thing. It was a small leak in the sill around the hatch. They replaced the rubber piece and it never leaked again.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Check tail light gaskets. A common problem with Integras

Old 03-17-2013, 04:32 AM
Banned
On the Fits some had this problem and it turns out to be water coming in around the top rubber strips on the roof or a seam leaking right in the same area. Try searching on here there is a thread about this problem and how to fit it.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Just discovered the same problem on my 2008, I have traced it to where it's entering the trunk (dripping in from under the hatch door sill and landing just to the left of the jack ) but not sure where its coming from until I remove the door seal, trim,etc.

I do have a minuscule crack around the top rubber strips on the roof, but I don't think this is where it's entering the car.

Last edited by Marco99; 04-02-2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: more detail
Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Just brought my '07 Sport back from the dealer after having a water test done. It's the welds at both tailgate hinges that have split/given way. Water then leaks down under the liner into the spare tire well. Will cost about $950.00 to repair. Don't have that kind of cash, so am emailing Honda to see what they'll do about it. Poor workmanship And it's been a known problem for quite some time, as well as leaks through the passenger doors.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 PM
check the curves and edges of the hatch seals

Look for corrosion or a big chunk of dirt causing the rubber to lift up slightly

can use black silicon and run a small bead UNDER the seal in the corners if needed

Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Mine was full of water too...so I pulled out the carpet and taped newspaper all throughout the rear bay and drove it when it rained for about 10 minutes and looked at the newspaper. You can pinpoint the area that is leaking because it will be wet in that one section of the newspaper or if you check it later you only have to look where the paper ink became runny. Its simple chap and works. Then fill it in with bondo or silicone sealant. Hope this helps

Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eddyksurfer
Mine was full of water too...so I pulled out the carpet and taped newspaper all throughout the rear bay and drove it when it rained for about 10 minutes and looked at the newspaper. You can pinpoint the area that is leaking because it will be wet in that one section of the newspaper or if you check it later you only have to look where the paper ink became runny. Its simple chap and works. Then fill it in with bondo or silicone sealant. Hope this helps
Where was yours leaking??

Old 04-10-2013, 10:54 AM
My earlier fit had this problem. The dealer said there was a TSB to fix the rear door seal.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM
In the spare tire bay where the weld seams meet. The caulking was old and dry so I sealed it. No more leaks!

Old 04-20-2013, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EMC2
To my dismay, I noticed a pool of frozen ice in the trunk underneath the liner where the spare tire is. I don't know how water could have leaked in there. The trunk liner seems dry. Has anyone else had this problem with the Fit?
i have the same problem, u can check your sealent contdition at the back side of the roof, near the rear door, you can check the sealent under the rubber weather strip, i've repaired the cracked sealent which made a stream of water flowing to the rear spare tire wel, and you can chek the welding point at the rear side of the spare tire wel, water from the roof which flow to the side of the rear door opening may cause the stream of water from down there, i've test my car using DIY moonsoon test.. just sprinkle water to the top rear of your car, where you are in the spare tire wel ^^

hope it helps..

Old 04-20-2013, 02:36 PM
My Fit is going to a mechanic this afternoon as I have the same problem. The carpet is
soaked behind the front passenger and there is a lot of water around the spare tire. I just
noticed this problem. Didn't have it last summer but noticed it two weeks ago. Sucked up
the water with a ShopVac and kept the car doors open for four sunny days. It's dry now
but I have to find the leak. Really disappointed in Honda as this has been a problem for
many Fits.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:26 PM
leak comes from the tailgate very common...

Old 06-07-2013, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
OK, I have tried to fix my small leak into the spare tire wheel well from presumably the hatch seal. I have put silicone around the hatch hinges, and put some underneath the black rubber seal and at the top of each headlight. No luck. After last night's heavy rain, the cloth I put at the base of the hatch was wet. I see where the water is running to. As you face the back of the car and open the hatch, the water runs from behind where the two interior plastic panels come together on the right side. There are two black plastic snaps to keep the panels together. I undo the snaps and can feel some foam rubber underneath to keep the plastic sill from rubbing against the metal frame. That foam rubber absorbs most of the water running down. I now put a towel under those plastic snaps to catch any water before it runs into the spare tire wheel well. Should I just keep putting silicone around the edge of the gasket or would a new gasket solve the problem? This is not a big deal, but it is disappointing and there has to be a solution. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by BurntZ; 06-07-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Leaking Water

One thing you could do is put a die in the water then spray your car down and trace the color leaks where they enter.....yet a more effective way that I found where the leaks were coming from was to remove the spare tire and rear carpet and sprinkle baby powder everywhere. Drive in the rain and you will easily see where the water is entering. Hope this helps

Old 06-08-2013, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
thanks, but I see the point where it is coming down into the spare tire well. It is entering by the two plastic snaps I described. What I don't know is what is going on behind the plastic trim. It appears that I would have to rip off the rubber gasket and take off 3 large sections of the plastic just to see behind. Once the gasket is off, there would be no experiment to perform. So I'm left with jamming more silicone underneath the gasket until I see results.
I also thought about taking the car to Honda and seeing what this TSB is all about. Perhaps the TSB details what precisely is wrong with the hatch leak? Has anyone on these boards successfully had their hatch leak fixed under the TSB? Thanks.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Mine just started doing this yesterday, however it appears to be leaking through the headliner around where the baby seat would attach too. My only thinking is that it could be the antenna right above, but I'll make sure to check the rear door seal now. God Honda has become a terrible product to own.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:12 PM
terrible product?

wow.....

If something like that upsets you about a car, you would be better off walking everywhere. Every car has its quarks

Old 06-12-2013, 01:49 AM
Banned
"Quirks" ....

Quick Reply: Water leak in trunk