1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Towing a small camper with Fit 08??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 AM
Towing a small camper with Fit 08??

I'd love to have a teardrop camper to use with my 2008 Fit. If anyone has done this, please let me know.
What modifications do I need to do? Specifically info on brake system, shocks, type of trailer hitch....or anything else I should be aware of.
I live in a mountainous area so gas consumption may be an issue.
I'd appreciate any and all advice on topic.
Please and thank......you in advance!!

Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 PM
My advice would be basically "don't." There are many, many better vehicles to tow with for this sort of thing, and I presume that you wouldn't be buying a little camping trailer only for a quick trip or only for local use around the neighborhood. (I do rather wish this was not the case, as I'd love to have a little camping trailer of some sort to go with my Fit, as well, but I just don't believe any such thing is very practical.)

The trailer hitches available for the Fit are all class I hitches, so have a maximum trailer weight rating of 2000 pounds. Most teardrop trailers are getting pretty close to that, especially when loaded. That's a lot to pull with a car that's not really designed for towing too much. I wouldn't want to tow more than about 1000 pounds for long distances with a Fit, but that's just my comfort level.

For shocks, the air shocks would be best. For brakes, there's not a lot of easy upgrades. Trailer brakes would be helpful if you could manage to get a brake controller and so forth set up with the Fit—which is presumably entirely possible, but I've never heard of anybody actually doing it. If you have an automatic transmission in your Fit, you'd definitely be well advised to get a transmission cooler installed.

The most important rule for any towing is to take it easy, slow down, and give yourself plenty of room to maneuver and brake. The extra weight of a trailer can easily cause the brakes to overheat on a long hill, so it's especially important to descend cautiously, use engine braking, and perhaps pull over and stop for awhile from time to time.

Gas milage would of course be noticeably lower when towing. Given the costs of everything else involved, I don't see why that would be a huge concern; if money is that tight, you'd probably be better off to use a tent or stay in a motel.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:33 PM
I highly recommend you do the air shock upgrade that is posted on this site. I think part was monroe ma811 I could be wrong.

The kit T's off one valve for both shocks, I strongly agree with other users who said to make a valve individual to each shock, as the weight tranfers over to the other shock during cornering.

You should be able to do it fine fully stock however. Drive carefully, and properly maintain your brakes and tires!!

EDIT if you shop around town, a transmission cooler PLUS install should be under $100. All they are doing is removing both rubber hoses from the radiator bottom, and plugging them into the radiator style cooler, then mounting the cooler in front. Then topping off with new fluid

Old 01-31-2014, 04:22 PM
Let's not forget performance, lightweight wheels and some good engine tuning and modification: header, plugs, flashpro can place your fit in a better position can handle the extra stress of towing.
Anyone else have comments on this aspect?

Last edited by BlueAngelFit; 01-31-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:10 PM
yikes, i wouldn't want to tow anything with my fit, except maybe like a seadoo or really small trailer lol. the torque is just not there; it will probably struggle and suck down gas. also, if you gotta go up steeper hills that could get pretty sketchy.

i guess i would suggest not doing it at all as well. not sure about BC but here in NH there are small pickups for sale everywhere for cheap money. i would grab something like that before even considering about 'prepping' my '08 for towing.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:21 PM
What type/brand of teardrop did you have in mind ? Do you know the weight? I would go with a base model one, less amenities less weight. If the is comparable to a jet ski like the gentleman above he stated shouldn't be too bad, I know the tear drops trailers can be made very light

Last edited by BlueAngelFit; 02-01-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:57 PM
I asked uncle google and this is what he said:

MyPod B@sic The MyPod is a 100% fiberglass molded body on an aluminum frame. With a dry weight of 490 lbs and tongue weight of just 90 lbs, the MyPod is a perfect for smaller towing vehicles. Bed Size Full Towing Capacity Smart Car MSRP Starting at $6,875
http://www.golittleguy.com/model?id=...el=MyPod-Basic

Last edited by BlueAngelFit; 02-01-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:01 AM
That's without the a/c or entertainment package

Old 02-01-2014, 12:48 PM
http://www.golittleguy.com/model?id=38&model=4x7-Deuce

Link showing a smart car pulling a teardrop. It's doable. But it HAS to be the lightlest model

Although I'm not sure of the comparative power to weight ratio of both vehicles Smart versus fit

Old 02-01-2014, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
I notice a difference in performance just bringing home bag of groceries or driving with a passenger, so I can't imagine towing anything with the Fit.

Should be interesting to see how this goes.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Pop up campers intended for motorcycles?

If I ever get the $, I would like to try one of the pop up campers designed to be pulled by a motorcycle.

Such as this one:

Open Road Outfitters, Motorcycle Campers and Trailers, Harley Hitches, Escapade, Time Out, Mini Mate

Old 02-02-2014, 07:07 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
My advice is the same as another person said: get more car, or get a tent. The Fit is not a practical tow vehicle for a camper. You might technically be able to do it, but it won't be practical, and it won't be particularly safe.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
I use my 2008 to tow a 5 x 10 trailer every fall and winter with a Polaris 500, Honda big red 3 wheeler, firepit, pioneer kitchen, guns, ammo, food, clothes, coolers, ice and beer every fall and winter, every weekend since it was new. Even the occasional trip with a dual axle trailer and my 47 Willys on it.

there is a thread here with a daily log from some guy who hauled 1200 lbs of trailer from the east coast to the west with no trouble.

To say that it isn't safe to pull a 600 lb popup is very uninformed. The very same car outside the US is rated from the factory to pull a trailer. From the factory, in the manual, in print. Like you can even read it and shit.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Old 02-03-2014, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
@breadtrk: Funny. Good info, too.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
Too many kids here over thinking things. Just drive the damn thing, take care of it with basic maintenance and it will last until you can move up from econobox to a luxury or performance model.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Have you ever seen vehicle blown clean off the highway when crosswinds hit the trailer it was pulling? I have, which is why I won't recommend pulling a camping trailer like the one being discussed here with a Fit.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
Make sure you stay home today because you have a greater chance of being struck by lightning that having you trailer and car blown off the road.

Better not go over 30 MPH either, can't risk a highway speed front tire blowout.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Towing a small camper with fit 08??

Thanks everyone. I'll be looking for something else. Appreciate all your input. Very Helpful!
Safe driving All!!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueAngelFit
Let's not forget performance, lightweight wheels and some good engine tuning and modification: header, plugs, flashpro can place your fit in a better position can handle the extra stress of towing.
Anyone else have comments on this aspect?
The actual power output isn't the issue. It's all of the other factors of towing, as the first responder already answered--braking, transmission, hitch, etc.

There are some teardrop trailers made for small cars, such as:

NestEgg Trailers - NestEgg Teardrop Trailers - Trailers

But they're not cheap. Personally, I would just buy a small utility trailer and mount up an ARB roof top tent to it. I would have no problems pulling that.

By the way, I disagree with breadtrk. I don't think this is "overthinking" it. Maybe not a big issue when you've got a 1 ton duelly, but we're talking 2,500lb FWD cars here, with tiny brakes. Too many people are careless when pulling trailers.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=27326356

Last edited by p nut; 02-03-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Towing a small camper with Fit 08??