1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Burnt Coil from a 2007 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Burnt Coil from a 2007 Fit

Name:  IMG_1864_zps163070d9.jpg
Views: 1980
Size:  12.2 KB[/URL]

Hi, I went to put in new rotors, Pads and plugs in the last 2 days. My Fit has 90000 miles on it.
1) Those screws holding the rotors in were horrible. A huge battle to get them out. Had to Bang them then turn , bang turn. terrible.
2) The second plug was very tight. I was worried I would break it. So I shot some wf-40 down there. and went back and forth until I got it out. The plug had some burn signs.
3) The coil looks burnt and discolored.

Any one know why this happens.

I saw a replacement coil on eBay for $16. Do you really think it matter that i get OEM?

Last edited by coldstorage5; 02-16-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Its hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the plug in that coil has marks near where the porcelain meets the metal. Spark plugs can slowly fail and leak combustion gasses through that spot which can be similar in color to what you see on the coil. That hot exhaust leaking could lead to a coil failure over time if it heats the coil too much. It could be that or the coil itself just starting to burn out.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by coldstorage5
[/URL]

Hi, I went to put in new rotors, Pads and plugs in the last 2 days. My Fit has 90000 miles on it.
1) Those screws holding the rotors in were horrible. A huge battle to get them out. Had to Bang them then turn , bang turn. terrible.
2) The second plug was very tight. I was worried I would break it. So I shot some wf-40 down there. and went back and forth until I got it out. The plug had some burn signs.
3) The coil looks burnt and discolored.

Any one know why this happens.

I saw a replacement coil on eBay for $16. Do you really think it matter that i get OEM?

Were you using an impact wrench (the kind you hit with a hammer, not the pistol-grip electric kind) on the rotors? What you are saying is not entirely clear.

People love the idea that "you don't have to replace" things like spark plugs and engine oil for millions and millions of miles. OEMs must be selling cars by the boatload on such ideas. I don't get that.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=Marrk;1223631]Were you using an impact wrench (the kind you hit with a hammer, not the pistol-grip electric kind) on the rotors? What you are saying is not entirely clear.

Yes, Exactly an impact wrench, The first screw ended up getting stripped , the second one, was hit turn, hit turn. The other 2, came right out.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
People love the idea that "you don't have to replace" things like spark plugs and engine oil for millions and millions of miles. OEMs must be selling cars by the boatload on such ideas. I don't get that.[/QUOTE]

Don really know what you mean by this comment.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
People love the idea that "you don't have to replace" things like spark plugs and engine oil for millions and millions of miles. OEMs must be selling cars by the boatload on such ideas. I don't get that.

Don really know what you mean by this comment.[/QUOTE]

Nothing in particular. I wouldn't keep spark plugs for 100k mi (like the book recommends), and I wouldn't let the valves go un-inspected for 105k mi (like the book recommends), and I wouldn't let engine oil go 7.5k mi (like the book recommends).

Your coil pack issue seems unusual, given what I read here and elsewhere.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Yes I change oil with synthetic at 7500,....
I have to tell you, I ran my Fit hard to today, To manhattan, Bronx and the burbs.
It looks like my mileage is dramatically improved. ( I have a plug in spec monitor)

Maybe that Plug was bad for Years. I usually changed plugs every 30, 40K I saw the Fit you could go to 100k.
Im glad I did it. also I did order a new coil for $ 16. Gotta be better than that burnt coil.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
^^Not a bad plan. Might check your air filter, as well.

When did you last do the valves?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Hi I have never done valves, Is it a big Job ? Hard to do?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
A valve adjustment is daunting at first. But it is a one-foot-in-front-of-the-other kind of thing. By the time you do it twice, you will lose all respect for service techs, and you will wonder why you never did it yourself before. If I were there, I would come over and help you.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Marrk
A valve adjustment is daunting at first. But it is a one-foot-in-front-of-the-other kind of thing. By the time you do it twice, you will lose all respect for service techs, and you will wonder why you never did it yourself before. If I were there, I would come over and help you.

OK, I google it, I appreciate you offer.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Hi I have never done valves, Is it a big Job ? Hard to do?
I just adjusted my valves over the weekend, never done anything to a car before, like the guy above said, it seems daunting at first, but as long as you follow a guide, its not too bad. I had help from my Dad, but we used this guide.

DIY adjusting valve clearences GD - Honda Fit Forums

We also checked with his OBD II Reader and found that it said my #1 Valve was misfiring, looked into it and replaced all my spark plugs (for good measure, they were nearing 120k KM) and replaced the #1 Coil Pack, problem solved. We replaced it with an OEM coil pack which is Hitachi brand.

Last edited by wafflemelon; 02-17-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Old 02-28-2014, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
2011 fit...

I had this VK20 from old GD FIT installed on the GE... once i realized that those were not recommended, i decided to switch back to the OEM sparks. The Pic is what i found. 2 coils were decolored. Also the Spark threads were quite oxydated I would said being very thight. Iused Oil a little bit to soften them, whic was not a good ting to do.. lol
After lots of reading, he heat dispersion ofthe Spark plug if it is not good, or if the spark is loose may cause damage to the coils.
Some people in the threads use IK22 which if i am nt wrong are colder Sparks ( means that can dissipate the heat better, therefore wont over heat the coils....) I ended up buying 2 coils to replace the discolored ones and IK20L which are the sparks recommended in Asia...
I did use dielectric grease from a Tunning Kit from Loctite,which protects the threads of the sparks, and softest the contact between the plug and the coils... also prevents some electric arc or something like that...
The Engine recovered power.