1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

CEL, PO304 Code for 2008 Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:47 PM
CEL, PO304 Code for 2008 Fit?

A couple weeks when I started car in the morning, the Check Engine Light came on. It was on all that day of driving, then the next morning. Then that second evening when I was leaving work, it wasn't lit after I started the car. I have noticed a drop in fuel economy, A couple tanks back I was getting around 200 miles a tank.

Then yesterday morning, this morning, and at lunch time it stayed lit after I started car. I thought I smelled gas, when leaving work today, though I have my vents open to bring in outside air (don't know if I am just smelling the exhaust). A couple hours ago I noticed it was not on after I started the car.

I drove to an O'Reilly Auto Parts store to use their OBDII scanner for free. The code that came up was: PO304, Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected.

The woman at the parts store said it could just be a spark plug wire that is loose.

I read on here that people have replaced their coil packs, spark plugs, etc.

Have you had the PO304 code, and what was your fix?

Thanks

2008 Honda Fit Sport
Automatic Transmission
~82,000 miles
Owned since February 22nd, 2013
when it had ~62,000 Miles

Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
I have the same problem, but I know how to fix it. I just don't want to.

It's the coil packs, I had the problem at around 90k-ish miles, and I replaced all the packs with cheap aftermarket ones and they only lasted about 20k miles. I recommend going with OEMs, or just something not super cheap like I did.

Just a tip: Don't replace only one coil pack, do them all, because if one failed, there's a good chance the others are also on their last leg.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:32 AM
coil pack gone bad, had the same thing about 2 weeks ago

went the cheap route, seems to be working fine.... but if i had the money i would have gone oem :/

Old 02-21-2014, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
Rather than go OEM you can buy the Hitachi coils that are identical to the new OEM coils (made for Honda by hitachi). Rockauto.com has them for about 40$ a piece I believe. It's not exactly cheap for a set of four buts it's cheaper than honda which is about 70$ a coil.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
Rather than go OEM you can buy the Hitachi coils that are identical to the new OEM coils (made for Honda by hitachi). Rockauto.com has them for about 40$ a piece I believe. It's not exactly cheap for a set of four buts it's cheaper than honda which is about 70$ a coil.
$70 from honda? Even with my discount they are over $80... I'll def look into hitachi as all mine have needed changed for awhile now...

Old 02-25-2014, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by swade
$70 from honda? Even with my discount they are over $80... I'll def look into hitachi as all mine have needed changed for awhile now...
You can get the OEM Hitachi's from Rockauto for 50 bucks a coil.

The Hitachi is OEM.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by swade
I just said that price off the top of my head. You are right, they might be even more than twice the price than the Hitachis on rockauto. Absolutely ridiculous to pay that much for a Hitachi coil that is simply rebranded as Honda.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by MTLian
I just said that price off the top of my head. You are right, they might be even more than twice the price than the Hitachis on rockauto. Absolutely ridiculous to pay that much for a Hitachi coil that is simply rebranded as Honda.
Thanks for your help!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
You can get the OEM Hitachi's from Rockauto for 50 bucks a coil.

The Hitachi is OEM.
Thanks for the help!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Do0ki3_pwn5
coil pack gone bad, had the same thing about 2 weeks ago

went the cheap route, seems to be working fine.... but if i had the money i would have gone oem :/
Yes, I went the cheap route too. But will save up for some OEM coil packs. I bought a set of 4 coil packs for $50 total, on ebay, just cause I am trying to save with all the debts I have. The ebay seller had a "Buy it Now" price of about $64, but they also did the "Best Offer" thing. So, I offered $50, and the seller accepted.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:14 PM
confusing troubleshooting

Originally Posted by Letsclique
A couple weeks when I started car in the morning, the Check Engine Light came on. It was on all that day of driving, then the next morning. Then that second evening when I was leaving work, it wasn't lit after I started the car. I have noticed a drop in fuel economy, A couple tanks back I was getting around 200 miles a tank.

Then yesterday morning, this morning, and at lunch time it stayed lit after I started car. I thought I smelled gas, when leaving work today, though I have my vents open to bring in outside air (don't know if I am just smelling the exhaust). A couple hours ago I noticed it was not on after I started the car.

I drove to an O'Reilly Auto Parts store to use their OBDII scanner for free. The code that came up was: PO304, Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected.

The woman at the parts store said it could just be a spark plug wire that is loose.

Thanks

2008 Honda Fit Sport
Automatic Transmission
~82,000 miles
When I got a misfire and a P0304 code, I switched the coil packs from cylinders 3 and 4, expecting the code to either follow the coil pack to cylinder 3 (bad coil pack) or remain on 4 (some other problem with 4 like injector or tight valve). To my surprise, the misfire went away and the code has yet to return.

Any ideas?

Old 01-24-2022, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Letsclique

Thanks

2008 Honda Fit Sport
Automatic Transmission
~82,000 miles
I own a 2007 Honda Fit Sport with the same issue. I changed the coil packs and it solved the problem, I bought the car new in 2007 and have about 208,000 miles on it. I have changed the coil packs 3 times since I've had it. I have heard that this an issue with these first generation Fits. That check engine has been on and off lately and it looks like I'll have to change them again soon.

Old 01-25-2022, 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by markmcfail
I own a 2007 Honda Fit Sport with the same issue. I changed the coil packs and it solved the problem, I bought the car new in 2007 and have about 208,000 miles on it. I have changed the coil packs 3 times since I've had it. I have heard that this an issue with these first generation Fits. That check engine has been on and off lately and it looks like I'll have to change them again soon.
Oof, I hope this doesn't come up any time soon since I have 8 coils on this baby and it'll cost more to replace all of them than the car is worth
That said, so far so good, about 110k miles and running smoothly.