1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Water Pump, Maintenance or Melarkey?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Water Pump, Maintenance or Melarkey?

I went in for my B14 and to do work on my brakes today at 101K miles. I spent $600+ last month on a valve adjustment and new fuel injectors. 6 months before I spent $700+ on new boots and spark plugs. I know I needed the work done on the engine and the brakes due to poor performance and codes. I haven't had any issues with my cooling system or timing chain. However, he tried to sell me the $700 water pump tune up w/ new pump, hoses, seals, timing chain, and coolant flush. Is this needed now or are they trying to make money on things that wont typically have issues? Thanks!

Old 02-25-2014, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Ask him exactly why he's telling you to buy all that? I don't see how you'd even need all that at 101k miles. Sounds like bull from your mechanic.

Also 700 on spark plugs and BOOTS?! I'm dying here. That's certainly not what you should be paying for such a small job. It's like 250 dollars for all 4 OEM ignition coils (boots for the coils cost only like 15 bucks!) and some nice spark plugs. That's a plug and play job, it requires absolutely no expertise. He should have charged like 100 bucks or something for everything including labor.

Timing chain at 101k makes no sense. The timing chain is said to last the life of the engine, that would be AT LEAST 200k+ miles, heck that's probably underestimation.

The water pump on a Fit costs like ~60 dollars. Replacing it should be a 150 dollar job at most, hoses are dirt cheap. Even that at 101k miles is unlikely, really really really unlikely.

That mechanic or shop is just taking advantage of you and I can guarantee they won't replace a thing, just take your money and tell you they repaired it.

Last edited by ikutoisahobo; 02-25-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:58 PM
I figured it was a bunch of bs. Every dealership in dfw area tx has given me bull. The $600 was accumulated from several dealerships trying to diagnose a code. It was the valves, but they insisted they didnt know, that i start from the plugs and work my way in. It was a f*ing nightmare. If you go read my other posts youll see the crap i dealt w/ up to this point.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
the best piece of advice is to try find a recommendation for a honest and fair shop to go to.

A Honda is like one of the most common car brands in the US, so it won't require specialty service. You should be able to find an honest shop pretty easily.

It shouldn't be the dirt-cheapest or cheaper than free DIY labor (questionable expertise if it is), but you should expect to pay a fair price for good work, and not leave feeling you got ripped off, cheated, or lied to.

Yelp or cartalk.com can help you find a good shop or perhaps another member here has a recommendation for ya.

Repairpal also can help you do a very broad ballpark estimate of what some services should cost. but sometimes their estimates are wacky

Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
I never go to the dealer for repairs unless something is under warranty. For brakes I'll go to some place like Midas or Sears, they might charge you a bit but not crazy expensive, since most mechanics just don't seem to do brakes right (machining rotors, etc.) At least that has been the case with me.

The rest of the stuff I do myself; oil changes (however it costs so much just to get some good oil like Chevron), tune-ups, etc.

I suggest you ask around with your friends or something and find a good mechanic like raytseng suggested. Much better idea than going to the dealer and getting ripped off just because they have no idea how to fix the problem.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, they're charging your $600 for boots and plugs? And telling you to change the timing belt and water pump as routine maintenance? Please post up the dealership, so no one else gets robbed.

Personally, for simple jobs like plugs and such, I would try to join a Honda club nearby. I'm sure people would be more than willing to show you how to change them out. They could also point you to a good local shop as well.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrogirl
I figured it was a bunch of bs. Every dealership in dfw area tx has given me bull. The $600 was accumulated from several dealerships trying to diagnose a code. It was the valves, but they insisted they didnt know, that i start from the plugs and work my way in. It was a f*ing nightmare. If you go read my other posts youll see the crap i dealt w/ up to this point.
Excellent technician work.

This isn't 1960 afaik. Highway robbery and taking advantage of women is standard practice with shady dealerships. I recommend staying away from all dealerships in general unless it's for warranty work. As you can tell, the quality of service is no better than any other garage. Smaller shops might appreciate the business more too.

Originally Posted by p nut
Please post up the dealership, so no one else gets robbed.
Yes please. I also suggest taking to Yelp to let the rest of the world know about there ineptitude.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
@Hydrogirl: Sorry that you're having this trouble.

With regard to water pumps, I know of no water pump maintenance. Your water pump either works or it fails. Nothing to do when it works. Replace it when it fails.

Timing chain you should not need until (maybe) 250k miles.

Too bad you don't have any fitfreak pals in your area. If you were in So. Calif., a bunch of us could help you.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
If the hoses aren't leaking, don't replace them. If the pump is still working, don't replace it.

Never go back to that shop.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Timing chain does not need replacing unless its stretched. Water pump id personally do around 150-200k. Ive seen water pumps leak out the bearing and over heating the engine. If u have any questions or advice feel free to message me. Im a honda tech.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by D429302
Timing chain does not need replacing unless its stretched. Water pump id personally do around 150-200k. Ive seen water pumps leak out the bearing and over heating the engine. If u have any questions or advice feel free to message me. Im a honda tech.

Just to be clear: Timing chains may need to be examined for wear once a car reaches very high milage. I haven't heard anybody talk about timing chain replacement on cars with under 200,000 mi.

Water pumps are easy to replace if you're a Honda tech. If not, they are difficult to replace (difficult = harder than changing your oil and oil filter). The prevailing practice with water pumps is, and has always been, to replace them when they fail. I have never head of anyone replacing a water pump as a "preventative" measure.

Feel free to message me. I am not a Honda tech.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Ive seen and replaced many timing chains under 200k due to lack of oil changes and causing the timing chain to stretch, throwing dtcs for cam timing. And water pumps CAN prematurly wear and leak coolant out of the bearing.
Obviously YOU ARE NOT a honda tech.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Get me strsight here. My point is, shes getting ripped off.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Okay, okay, D4. No need to shout. Nobody likes an angry Honda tech.

I suppose any of us could imagine a scenario (i.e., "due to lack of oil changes") that could cause unusual problems for the car, but I believe the lady was inquiry about standard maintenance on a car run under normal conditions.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Marrk
Okay, okay, D4. No need to shout. Nobody likes an angry Honda tech.

I suppose any of us could imagine a scenario (i.e., "due to lack of oil changes") that could cause unusual problems for the car, but I believe the lady was inquiry about standard maintenance on a car run under normal conditions.

ok ok, sorry Marrk for shouting your ear off, And my guess is everyone loves an intra-webz know it all like you? lol!
So your assumption is everyone on the road knows what a "normal" interval is for an oil change? WRONG.
My comment was from a professional stand point of when and why a HONDA timing chain should be replaced, and when and why a water pump should be replaced, And from experience with the two parts . Didn't think a fitfreak master tech would correct that. Apparently I was wrong. OOPS! Type away!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
There is nothing special about the honda valve train. as far as timing chains and gears go. Its a wear item and it may last 85K it may last 300 there are significant unknowns in how some parts wear. As was mentioned oil changes factor in. How high and how often you rev the motor, heavy downshifting to slow down,,, I found that the tension-er failing on many cars causes the chains to fail more often than wear on the gears or chain.. YMMV..

Water pumps either start leaking or fail internally (bearings, or impeller) Probably the simplest part on the car.. yet it sure does not run well without it.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:10 PM
Thumbs down Water Pump Replacement

I went into Honda of Fort Worth for an oil change and they recommended that I have the tires rotated $74.95. I agreed to that. He came back and said I had a crank seal leak $163.03 and that the water pump should be replaced between 5-7 years and it was time for that. The water package was $479.95. The automatic transmission fluid drained and filled $109.00.
I have not seen any oil leaks in my driveway. There was no problem with the water pump. My total paid today was $953.31. They had to order the tie rod end boots and ball joint boots and I'm supposed to take the car back on Friday for that labor. My car has 64,000 miles on it.
Comments?

HONDA OF FORT WORTH
3400 W. LOOP 820 S
FORT WORTH TX. 76116
817-717-3580

Old 10-24-2016, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
rip-off
The 08 fit on junkyard with over 180k has no play in water pump bearings (pump is original) and no leaks!

Old 10-25-2016, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
$75 for a tire rotation?!!!

Old 10-25-2016, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
$75 for a tire rotation?!!!
Sorry, I was unclear. The $74.95 was for the oil change and tire rotation.

Quick Reply: Water Pump, Maintenance or Melarkey?