1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Driver door lock cylinder problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Driver door lock cylinder problem

2007 Fit Base

The key does not turn in the driver door cylinder.
All the other cylinders are operated by key just fine.
I read several older posts on this, so I well lubed the cylinder as described, no change.
I called the Honda Dealer, they said the cylinder may need to be repaired or replaced.

DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH LOCK CYLINDERS?
I WONDER IF ONE COULD SWAP THE DRIVER DOOR CYLINDER WITH THE PASSENGER DOOR?

Old 04-24-2014, 12:06 PM
No key lock on my 07 Sport Right hand door....

Old 04-24-2014, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by glens67
No key lock on my 07 Sport Right hand door....
Bases have keyholes on both sides since they don't have remote entry? I think. Maybe idk.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 2007 Fit Sport. It has only one outside key, for drivers door. But the car has electric door locks with keyless remote. If the Base model has a key on passenger door, that's news to me, but could well be. You've probably already done this but that's your plan B if the pass. door has a key- get in that side and unlock driver door.
Yeah, I know it's a pain, but only for the short term.

I would spray LockEase graphite spray into the seized lock using the plastic straw attachment to get it well inside the lock. Wiggle the key in and out and clockwise-counterclockwise very gently. Numerous times. Give it time, and be liberal with the LockEase. Do this over several days if necessary. Be very observant of how much movement the lock gives you. If you gain just a little, be patient and keep pushing the limits without risking breaking the key off in the lock ($$$$).

In the unlikely event the above effort fails, I would remove the door trim panel from the inside of the driver's door and take the lock mechanism out and work some Lock Ease into it on the workbench using a pair of pliers to twist the lever which actuates the lock mechanism. Warm it up with a hairdryer if necessary. That will get the lubricant to flow better.

If you can't free it up yourself, bring the frozen cylinder to a locksmith and they can free it up and lube it for you. Shouldn't cost more than $10. All this will cost you FAR less than having a Honda dealer replace the lock. And if you do that, make sure they key it so the other locks match so you don't need TWO keys for your Fit.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
Bases have keyholes on both sides since they don't have remote entry? I think. Maybe idk.
My 2007 Base USDM has three key holes: driver door, passenger door, and hatch. While it comes with power locks, I had to install the keyless entry system (so now I don't have to use the key to unlock the doors). If I want the alarm system I can install that and piggyback it off the keyless entry system.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:09 PM
I have the exact same problem. I'm so use to unlock and open from the passenger door that it's a reflex.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
DWils, how involved is the aftermarket keyless system to install? Where to get?

I had hoped to repair the driver cylinder or swap cylinders.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Key cylinder problem

You might want to talk with the service manager of your Honda dealer, and see if they can get this done for free, especially since there's an active recall out for the driver's side window/doorlock switch being affected with splash moisture. Your door cylinder may have suffered damage from moisture as well, and if they find that while servicing the recalled window/doorlock switch for free, they might be able to justify servicing the cylinder for free as well. Your VIN will tell how to key a new cylinder to match the old one. If the dealer says they will have to charge you for the parts and labor, before you take your car in for the switch recall, get a hold of Honda's corporate headquarters, and tell them about your cylinder problem and see what they can do to help you before you get your cylinder serviced. You just might get lucky. It might also give Honda a heads up to correct another problem associated with their recall campaign as well. My car is also a Fit Base with 3 Keyholes: front doors and hatch. I preferred that setup over the Sport setup.

Last edited by myfoxmystere; 05-03-2014 at 02:50 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 02-23-2015, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
I did go to my local Honda dealer with the same problem. They wanted over $500 to fix the door and swore that there had NEVER been any problems with the lock cylinders for the Fit.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:38 PM
I came here because, about 15 mo ago, I had my drivers side door lock replaced at the dealer - and paid the price. Now it's failed again - something in the lock collapsed and I can only get the key in about halfway before it jams. Yes, they also swore to me that this was a unique problem they had never heard of prior to mine.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
this can happen if someone wants to use lock twister to open it. My tailgate lock got damaged this way

Old 12-18-2017, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by doctor J
this can happen if someone wants to use lock twister to open it. My tailgate lock got damaged this way
So.. trip to the dealer again or to a locksmith? Dealer = expense!

Old 12-18-2017, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
..Set of door locks form auto part store with one extra key plus an hour for each side to replace (to have done it right)
I bought my tailgate lock from Napa back in 2011 for $55 and it took 20 minutes to change

Old 12-19-2017, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Pretty please do not put graphite in the keyhole. The honda dealership, of all people, pumped my lock full of graphite. I got my butt chewed by the locksmith that eventually fixed my locks for that. I had the lock removed, rebuilt and replaced by a locksmith for $125 in under an hour. All I've read about these sidewinder locks is that this is pretty common. I thought the lock was trashed from a theft attempt, but there was no indication of it. I went the same route everyone was suggesting and this was the cheapest with the best result. I'm lucky to have a really good locksmith with a full shop just a couple of miles away. I trust them way more that my closest Honda dealer. No BS, No drama. That was a year ago and not a single problem since.

I tend to way over-complicate things, and I am right there with you as far as wanting to switch locks or just go with a keyless entry, but before you start tearing door panels off and locks out, get a quote from a good locksmith. I hope this works for you.