1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Worst thing that happened to your Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Worst thing that happened to your Fit?

So, I was searching through pics on my PC and stumbled upon this picture of when my tire/wheel was stolen. I couldn't believe it. Had to go to two different automotive stores to get 3 lugnuts just to get the donut on.

The thieves actually left a single lugnut behind, lol. It was dark - new moon, this side of the car was parked near a fence and I guess it was the perfect conditions for them. It was the second time my car had something stolen from it, first was my ipod.

Fortunately, I don't live in that area anymore, glad to get away. This was definitely the worst thing that has happened to my Fit. What about any of yours?

Name:  0207131143.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  121.4 KB

Old 05-16-2014, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Ignition coils. Back when I didn't know what was going on, I was panicking so badly.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
Ignition coils. Back when I didn't know what was going on, I was panicking so badly.
Were you getting the CEL or no?

Old 05-16-2014, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
The most annoying (not the worst) is the driver side axle popping out of the housing. This is common on the Fit when doing suspension work. 3 times so far. It's a pain in the ass.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:14 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
The most annoying (not the worst) is the driver side axle popping out of the housing. This is common on the Fit when doing suspension work. 3 times so far. It's a pain in the ass.
Same thing happened to me, ruined an ABS sensor as well

Worst thing so far was getting a massive crack from driving behind a bus on the freeway had to get the windshield replaced

Old 05-17-2014, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member
LOL, you didn't learn after the first one to tie it up?

OP did you supply the cinder block or did they bring it?

Old 05-17-2014, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
LOL, you didn't learn after the first one to tie it up?

OP did you supply the cinder block or did they bring it?
They brought it with them! At least they just didn't leave the hub assembly on the ground. I mean, sh!t, they could have at least used a full cinder block and been a little classier.

It's stuff you see in movies or on TV, never thought it would happen to me. I was in the "GOOD" area of MT Vernon but like 10 minutes from the Bronx so all the punks come up from there and Yonkers to thieve around the neighborhoods with more money. Sad the world is still this way.

Last edited by Fitguy07; 05-17-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
Were you getting the CEL or no?
At first no, but then when it got to the point where it wouldn't go a mile without misfiring crazily, that's when the CEL turned on.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
I was accelerating from a light and driving on a street with no stop signs. Get in first, second and right before getting in third, a woman drove straight out in front of me from an intersection! I slammed on the brakes but thanks to ABS I still rubbed my front bumper on her rear bumper. She said "I stopped at the sign and counted to three before going". Dumb &$;&, learn to look before you cut off a dumptruck and get yourself killed!

My second is my MPG ever since I started tracking. 20 MPG! I've tried everything, calling Honda, I've had it inspected by Honda and they said everything was fine. This summer, I'll do a valve lash adjust and I'll see about changing my coils and plugs are bad. However, I'm only at 55k miles so my sparks should be good. Ill also get my injectors cleaned. Living in the city and doing short trips seems to be what kills it.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
I was accelerating from a light and driving on a street with no stop signs. Get in first, second and right before getting in third, a woman drove straight out in front of me from an intersection! I slammed on the brakes but thanks to ABS I still rubbed my front bumper on her rear bumper. She said "I stopped at the sign and counted to three before going". Dumb &$;&, learn to look before you cut off a dumptruck and get yourself killed!

My second is my MPG ever since I started tracking. 20 MPG! I've tried everything, calling Honda, I've had it inspected by Honda and they said everything was fine. This summer, I'll do a valve lash adjust and I'll see about changing my coils and plugs are bad. However, I'm only at 55k miles so my sparks should be good. Ill also get my injectors cleaned. Living in the city and doing short trips seems to be what kills it.
20 MPG is bad. I'm getting like 15-17 MPG on my Hondata tune. Before the mods with 70K miles I was getting over 40 MPG with 28-32 MPG in the city.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian

Count to three to get a Fit in site? Stupid driver.

You have to release that emergency brake before the MPG will go up.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Count to three to get a Fit in site? Stupid driver.

You have to release that emergency brake before the MPG will go up.
Haha! Dang it, I though it was a "overdrive" lever LOL

I already ordered my replacement Denso O2 sensor. I'll still wait until my mechanic has a look with his scanner. I once got a pending code for 02 sensor malfunction but it never came back so I didn't change it yet. Sucks that the upstream sensor is in such a crappy position on the GD. It's behind the exhaust header.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
20 MPG is bad. I'm getting like 15-17 MPG on my Hondata tune. Before the mods with 70K miles I was getting over 40 MPG with 28-32 MPG in the city.
That little?

What kind of tune are you running? Are you turbo'd?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Crashed into a lamppost (twice) (same lamppost), scraped up the side of my bumper pretty good. Ruined an otherwise pristine paint job.

Dooooh!

Old 05-18-2014, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Fitness
Crashed into a lamppost (twice) (same lamppost), scraped up the side of my bumper pretty good. Ruined an otherwise pristine paint job.

Dooooh!
Twice? Same one? Is this lamppost outside your driveway by any chance?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:51 PM
LOL no, but you'd think so. It's in a parking garage that I frequent. I parked in the same space twice, next to the lamppost. Forgot to straighten out the steering when I turned off the car. Turned the car on to leave, back up and boom! and then again boom! the second time (about 2 weeks later).

St00pid.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
That's funny. I always straighten out my wheels, set e-brake, then put in park, every time I park.

I don't trust the weight of the car on the transmission on hills or slight inclines.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:16 PM
That's smart. I usually do the same thing but these two times I think I must have been in a hurry or wasn't paying attention for some other reason and I didn't straighten things out.

I almost always set the e-brake even when it's flat like in this parking garage but my partner is always on my case about that because he says it's bad for the e-brake cable (stretches it out he says).

Old 05-18-2014, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
I've driven mine till a wheel fell off... Literally.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Let me count the ways

09 Fit, 116k on the ODO....

Worst thing that has ever happened? let's see the tonight's contestants

1) Street sweeper on the Highway (WTF!!!) kicked around rocks that I tried to avoid but got a massive crack from it anyway. Tried to contest but didnt have the info of the truck. This was within the first 6 month of ownership

2) Oiled up a K&N and had an emergency, no backup filter so I threw it in after letting it sit overnight....not enough time.... few weeks later, car stalled on a bridge. Towed to honda for new plugs and coil packs.....KN tested coilpacks and returned them as fine....maf was the issue though mechanics took advantage of my ignorance (no maf sensor cleaner at a dealership service area???)

3) Tire rotation at Advance auto left me with 3 broken wheel studs and eventually replaced wheel bearing when mechanic decided a hydralic press would be too difficult and a hammer was a much better tool for the job

4) Parked on the street and was working from home when a neighbor knocked on my door to inform me they backed their Yukon into my fit....

5) Paid off my fit last year, a month later during which time I was already shopping for tires, I hydroplaned and hit the divider on the Williamsburg bridge in Brooklyn....no tow and police didnt respond so I limped the car 10 mph back to Staten Island then to Bayonne for the repair

6)after a year of driving with strong fuel smells entering the car (recirculate to avoid it) I had to make a Service advisor sit in the car while I took it off recirculate and let the fumes hit him in the face till he gagged before they took my request to fi it seriously...They found that all of my plugs were hand loose, explaining the smell and shitty MPG's I was getting (25 combined at that point....now it is about 27, big whoop).

Not sure which one to pick....thoughts?

btw I love my fit....none of the issues I've suffered was due to the car and
I feel it only underscores it's reliability and strength to be driving better than most other cars I've driven over the past year (I rent alot and drive alot) with MUCH less mileage. This list includes:

-Ford Focus (AT was a nightmare.....Audio interace with a USB sucks!)
-Buick Regal (Great car, kinda small interior, GM recall hurt image for me)
-Hyundai Elantra (mpg's all over the place, AT a little sloppy, not a bad car though)
-Dodge Journey (horrible AT and cheap interior)
-Nissan Altima (not a bad car, not my cup of tea, no usb???)
-Chevy Captiva (POS!)
-14 Chevy Malibu (NICE car, GM tho! AT a bit slow )
-Dodge charger (big a sh!t for no reason, american AT's are a disappointment)
-Volvo x60 (nice car though lacking features for it' price, and weird design ideas that have me thinking ikea designers were involved)

Chevy Camaro....such a blast to drive but getting 10-20 mpg's in a v6 2 door isnt for me....the attention though was a nice change from what I get in the Fit.....

Quick Reply: Worst thing that happened to your Fit?