1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

I think my door panels were installed incorrectly

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
I think my door panels were installed incorrectly

Hey guys,

Got my windows tinted on Sunday. Did a great job. Lifetime warranty on the tint. Anyways I noticed in my rear doors that the panel looks strange near the top by the window. Few questions here.

1. Do they remove your panel to tint your windows? If not, then I'm just on glue.

What I have noticed it's on both sides left and right doors for the rear is that the fabric piece closest to the rear of the window seems higher than the piece closest to the back seat. Is this normal? Or is my panel on incorrectly? If it is on wrong, how hard of of a fix will this be? Just pop off the panel and align it properly? I can't find any guides on removing the rear panels. Is it even possible to install a door panel incorrectly?

If the alignment is off because it seems that the closest part to the rear seat is higher then the piece closest to the front seat in both sides? Now if this is the case, how difficult is it going to be to take this sucker off and realign it? I can't believe they didn't install my panels correctly. They were recommended by everyone I knew and every car forum in the GTA.

Last edited by GinoLicious; 07-29-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:29 PM
look at that rear door's plastic triangle piece at the rear edge. It is clipped into the metal of the door, not the panel. If your door panel fits against that snugly and is not over the edge, or having a gap, I would say you are fine.

Yes, the correct way to tint a car window is to remove the door panel, so that you can have an inch or so of tint under that door panel seal so that rolling the windows up and down do not attempt to tear it off.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
I am on glue.

Just now my apartment parking lot was a GD3 meet. 2 bases and 1 sport plus mine lol. I went around to each one. Scoped the back seats lol. And it turns out all look the same. Having said that, I never noticed his before. The back piece is slightly more raise then the front piece on the rear door. Not sure if anyone else has noticed it.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member
Dunno what you mean, gimme pics.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
Did you have the tint done recently? alot of the times after the tint comes back from the shop they will either tell you or put a sticker on the car window controls telling you not to roll down the windows for at least 2 days. Also since it was done recently just got back to the shop that did it for you and ask them if they can fix it since it doesnt look right.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikearonis13
Did you have the tint done recently? alot of the times after the tint comes back from the shop they will either tell you or put a sticker on the car window controls telling you not to roll down the windows for at least 2 days. Also since it was done recently just got back to the shop that did it for you and ask them if they can fix it since it doesnt look right.
Oh it's on correctly. I went around to several fits and looks at their back panels. I never noticed this before. I will try to post pics. Pics I took don't really snow what I was talking about. Basically the fabric piece near the rear of the window sits higher up on the panel than the piece closest to the front of the car. Just something I never noticed lol.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
That should be an easy fix by just removing the panels and making sure the clips are in place and aligning is correctly.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
After a thorough investigation it is safe to say that I am on glue. The panels was installed correctly the whole time. There are no gaps around the door. Thank you all for your contribution. But it appears the shop did everything correctly. As mentioned above, I sent around a looked at several gd3 in my parking lot. All of them were the exact same. Either all of us have incorrect installed panels or this is the way it is.

I just find it quite funny that I never noticed it before. I thought the fabric piece sat flush against the area where the window comes out of. But like I said, from looking at several Fits, it is lightly raised closer to the back of the window then compared to the front of the window. Like a previous poster suggested, my panel does sit flush with the black piece that sits on the back of the door. Just the fabric piece that goes into that black triangle piece sits higher up on the window by like .25cm then the front of the window. Which is normal after viewing several fits in person.