Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Fit Engine Light/Alarm Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Fit Engine Light/Alarm Question

Hey there,

Been a while since I've posted in the forum, been busy with school and stuff.

Recently my engine light when on due to my "check fuel cap" message flashing. It did this on and off for about two weeks until somehow i fixed it and it hasn't flashed the message since. However my engine light is still on after about a week or two of driving since the message dissappeared.
I was away in Washington, DC last week and when i got back my alarm system wasn't working and i found out that the sensor that goes to my hood latch was the cause so i unplugged it and the alarm has been fine since.

Just curious if there is anyway that the alarm system could effect the engine light? (i don't see how it would) and if not, has anyone else had a similar thing happen with their engine light/fuel cap?

Old 10-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
You are getting a check engine light? No the alarm system would not have anything to do with that. You need to see what code(s) are coming up to cause that check engine light. Once you know the code(s) you can go from there

Old 10-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by MNfit
You are getting a check engine light? No the alarm system would not have anything to do with that. You need to see what code(s) are coming up to cause that check engine light. Once you know the code(s) you can go from there
I had the code read at a honda dealer earlier this summer and it was due to a faulty gas cap. Got a new gas cap and it was fine up until the last month or so when it started telling me to check the cap and the engine light came on. I have a feeling it is on because of the gas cap, but i dont feel like paying honda another $95 just to tell me the same thing.

Basically, I'm just curious if anyone else has gotten engine lights from gas caps more than once and how they dealt with them?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
NO the dealer was WRONG I have been driven 2 miles without gas cap with warm engine an there was no warning light.
Get a basic code reader($50), pull the code and post it here.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
A lot of times you can go down to an atuo parts store and they will be able to pull the codes for you for free. when you get the code check to see what it is. Check Engine Light codes (CEL) Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and - Honda-Tech

Old 10-22-2014, 01:19 AM
Turns out a buddy of mine actually has a code reader so i'm going over there thursday night to figure it out. I will post the code up here as well. never had problems with engine lights on my cars before so this is all relatively new to me.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments MNfit and doctor J.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
My check engine light a couple weeks ago was caused by gas cap. Took it off and put back on snug and was fine. CEL went off. I had this happen a few yrs ago as well.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
My check engine light a couple weeks ago was caused by gas cap. Took it off and put back on snug and was fine. CEL went off. I had this happen a few yrs ago as well.
Yeah thats the problem with mine too. only difference is I would re-tighten the cap and it was fine, CEL went off after a few days. Then a day later it would come back on and would say that my gas cap was loose. Then re-tighten, CEL would go off and be fine. Then it happened a third time and so on. After the third time, i re-tightened it and the check fuel cap never came on, but my CEL stayed on. It's still on now and this all happened about 3ish weeks ago. It is a brand new cap too which is what is frustrating. Going to my friends tomorrow to use his code reader and find out what the problem is

stupid gas caps...

Old 10-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Hey guys,

so i got the code read and the code that came up was "P0455" which is a large leak in the evap system. The gas cap seems to be fine.

I'll probably take it in to a shop that my friend has had good experience with and see if they can find whats causing it.