1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Airbag shrapnel

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Airbag shrapnel

idk why air fits are not on the recall, but look at the rusted canister!!!

Old 10-22-2014, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
you need to be more descriptive; just because metal is rust covered has little to do with the air bag. its not rusted.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Its that rust can weaken the canister and cause it to explode when the airbag deploys. Its been all over the news!

Old 10-25-2014, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
It is the pits the rust causes.
The pits are potential stress points.
Then the air bag deploys, the stress points can be the starting point for cracks, that then cause the fracturing of the sheet metal canister.
That leads to flying shrapnel.

Improper corrosion treatment to the sheet metal the cans were formed from.
The problem is not apparent at time of manufacture, but slowly develops over time.
That is why they are starting replacements in damp humid environments first.
This is going to cost the effected car companies a butt load.

Wonder how long they have known about this defect?

Old 10-25-2014, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gregg
It is the pits the rust causes.
The pits are potential stress points.
Then the air bag deploys, the stress points can be the starting point for cracks, that then cause the fracturing of the sheet metal canister.
That leads to flying shrapnel.

Improper corrosion treatment to the sheet metal the cans were formed from.
The problem is not apparent at time of manufacture, but slowly develops over time.
That is why they are starting replacements in damp humid environments first.
This is going to cost the effected car companies a butt load.

Wonder how long they have known about this defect?

Airbags are designed with metal housings but not around the airbag. When the 'expolsive' is activated it creates a large volume of gas that inflates the bag very quickly. The bag bursts in a few tenths of a second and there is no part of the bag that separates from the bag. The metal parts are not around the bag so aren't subject to explosive action and are thus not involved. Rusty metal parts would not be ejected with the bag. And the bag can't rust.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Airbags are designed with metal housings but not around the airbag. When the 'expolsive' is activated it creates a large volume of gas that inflates the bag very quickly. The bag bursts in a few tenths of a second and there is no part of the bag that separates from the bag. The metal parts are not around the bag so aren't subject to explosive action and are thus not involved. Rusty metal parts would not be ejected with the bag. And the bag can't rust.
Not quite.
The "explosive" is contained with in the Gas Generator.
The Gas Generator operates in what is called a "High-Low" cycle.
The explosive is contained in a small metal cylinder with in the gas generator.
When the air bag is triggered, the explosive is set off (a few thousands of a second), generating a small volume of very high pressure gas (thousands of psi).
That gas ruptures the metal cylinder, but in a controlled manor when it splits much like a rupture disk.
The high pressure gas is vented into the low pressure cylinder, and the low pressure cylinder then ruptures in the same manor (in a few more thousands of a second).
The then relatively low pressure (still hundreds of psi) gas then inflates the air bag (in less than 1/10 of a second), that is 100% fabric.
When the air bag reaches full inflation, seams on the fabric bag rip, deflating the air bag.
This entire cycle takes less than one second to complete.

The problem is when the low pressure cylinder, shown in the photo, is degraded via rusting.
When the air bag goes off, the low pressure cylinder does nor always rupture as designed.
Instead of tearing along a designed in weak seam, the low pressure cylinder can locally shatter, releasing bits of very sharp edged shrapnel.

This issue is not new.
Air bags have been known to fail in this manor since they were first introduced more than 30 years ago.
Most of the time the fabric bag stops any metal fragments, as the fragments generated by the "normal" deployment of the gas generator are very small.
But the bag will not always stop larger fragments.

These fragments can be deadly if they strike your neck, as there are many major blood vessels very close to the surface on both sides of your neck.
Have one of those major blood vessels cut, and you can bleed to death in 30 seconds.

I have personally seen this twice, as I'm a volunteer EMT with my local fire department.

Gregg

Last edited by Gregg; 10-26-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gregg
Not quite.
The "explosive" is contained with in the Gas Generator.
The Gas Generator operates in what is called a "High-Low" cycle.
The explosive is contained in a small metal cylinder with in the gas generator.
When the air bag is triggered, the explosive is set off (a few thousands of a second), generating a small volume of very high pressure gas (thousands of psi).
That gas ruptures the metal cylinder, but in a controlled manor when it splits much like a rupture disk.
The high pressure gas is vented into the low pressure cylinder, and the low pressure cylinder then ruptures in the same manor (in a few more thousands of a second).
The then relatively low pressure (still hundreds of psi) gas then inflates the air bag (in less than 1/10 of a second), that is 100% fabric.
When the air bag reaches full inflation, seams on the fabric bag rip, deflating the air bag.
This entire cycle takes less than one second to complete.

The problem is when the low pressure cylinder, shown in the photo, is degraded via rusting.
When the air bag goes off, the low pressure cylinder does nor always rupture as designed.
Instead of tearing along a designed in weak seam, the low pressure cylinder can locally shatter, releasing bits of very sharp edged shrapnel.

This issue is not new.
Air bags have been known to fail in this manor since they were first introduced more than 30 years ago.
Most of the time the fabric bag stops any metal fragments, as the fragments generated by the "normal" deployment of the gas generator are very small.
But the bag will not always stop larger fragments.

These fragments can be deadly if they strike your neck, as there are many major blood vessels very close to the surface on both sides of your neck.
Have one of those major blood vessels cut, and you can bleed to death in 30 seconds.

I have personally seen this twice, as I'm a volunteer EMT with my local fire department.

Gregg
And I have participated in testing airbags. The explosive is not contained in a metal housing except at the back. The shroud is plastic. The operating end is open to the collapsed bag. upon detonation, really a fast chemical reaction, the gas expands rapidly in the bag, inflating and eventually bursting the bag. For all practical time, as soon as it inflates. Certainly initially there is higher pressure but it is relieved rapidly as the bag expands though its high enough to provide a solid smack when it hits you.There cannot be metallics in the explosive unless for some reason they were attached to the bag itself. The difference between the containment characteristics and the bag is thousands fold different. I never saw any deterioraton of the housing. For there to be enough rust to severely deteriorate the housing would be a major defect not possible with the stainless stee/ used fior the housings.
I have also had the experience of enduring an air bag go off in a wreck, breaking my glasses and being able to thoroughly examine the results. Having an airbag 'protect' you is close to be slugged in a boxing match ( which I have some experience) but any metallic parts in such instances is not possible in the bags I tested. Who made yours?
There are some offshore makers whom I would not trust so having non-approved units are entirely possible. Those do not include the Tamakita bags which are being investigated now for failure to deploy.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/bu...o-recalls.html

Takata Airbag Recalls: Too Little Too Late From Takata and Honda | Richmond Legal Examiner | Richmond Virginia Personal Injury Lawyer

Airbag Inflation - HowStuffWorks

I normally do not do this, but if you do not believe me, read the three articles and watch the video.

The second article shows a typical piece of shrapnel from a air bag gas generator. Sharp like a razor blade, picture that hitting your neck at 200 plus miles per hour.
The third article shows a standard air bag gas generator, and yes the inner and outer housings are made of metal.
The video shows a typical air bad gas generator, and it is plain to see, it is made of metal.

The good news is that the 2007 and 2008 Fits are not on the recall list.

Gregg