1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

New Honda FIT owner, now what ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:16 PM
New Honda FIT owner, now what ?

I just bought a USED 2008 Honda Fit for $6000. I put a deposit down and i should be receiving it in about a week and a half. The car have 88000 miles on it

Beside changing oil and replacing the transmission fluid once ( not sure when, she said she did it when the service light when on ), the first owner didn't do anything else with the car.
1. Should i just change the oil ? What are some must do preventive maintenance before 100000 miles ?

I'm currently driving an BMW E46 and coming from it i found something that i don't like from the FIT.

1. The steering wheel is way too small, what are some recommendation for one that is at least padded ( i love the OEM steering wheel on my E46 )
2. The shift knob is painfully small and feel like a toy, what shift knob would you recommend that's bigger and feeling more premium ?
3. Anywhere i can buy inexpensive armrest ? paying a few hundred dollar for an armrest for a car that cost $6000 is just banana in my opinion.
4. Is there a good audio head unit that have bluetooth so i can play my music through bluetooth ? ( I prefer something that's a little bit on the conservative side, super bright screen/LED is a big NO NO since i'm driving at night a lot and the bright LED bother me a lot )

__________________________________________________ ________
I'm currently being station in Germany and planning on taking a lot of road trip on the Autobahn, with that come some problems.

1. Is there a way to minimize the road noise ?
2. I will be cruising at around 90-100 MPH, is that bad for the small engine on the fit ?
3. Any after market mod that will add some more power to it without costing way too much ?

Pardon me if any of the above questions are stupid.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:22 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Phamtastic
I just bought a USED 2008 Honda Fit for $6000. I put a deposit down and i should be receiving it in about a week and a half. The car have 88000 miles on it

Beside changing oil and replacing the transmission fluid once ( not sure when, she said she did it when the service light when on ), the first owner didn't do anything else with the car.
1. Should i just change the oil ? What are some must do preventive maintenance before 100000 miles ?

I'm currently driving an BMW E46 and coming from it i found something that i don't like from the FIT.

1. The steering wheel is way too small, what are some recommendation for one that is at least padded ( i love the OEM steering wheel on my E46 )
2. The shift knob is painfully small and feel like a toy, what shift knob would you recommend that's bigger and feeling more premium ?
3. Anywhere i can buy inexpensive armrest ? paying a few hundred dollar for an armrest for a car that cost $6000 is just banana in my opinion.
4. Is there a good audio head unit that have bluetooth so i can play my music through bluetooth ? ( I prefer something that's a little bit on the conservative side, super bright screen/LED is a big NO NO since i'm driving at night a lot and the bright LED bother me a lot )

I'm currently being station in Germany and planning on taking a lot of road trip on the Autobahn, with that come some problems.

2. I will be cruising at around 90-100 MPH, is that bad for the small engine on the fit ?
3. Any after market mod that will add some more power to it without costing way too much ?

change your oil if you wanna be really meticulous you could change your air filter and your plugs. make sure your coils are all working well. the wheel you're gonna need to probably get over it. the arm rest check eBay. the shift knob any weighted shift knob will feel b better. theres literally hundreds to choose from. road noise you're screwed unless you dynamat the whole car. you should be fine just make sure your oil is all good and to the last question no. none of your mods that are cheaper are gonna show you any real noticeable difference in performance.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:31 PM
the freaking pedals are way too small for my size 10 feet, any good pedals out there that's proven to be a good buy ?

Last edited by Phamtastic; 02-28-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Phamtastic

non stupid.
regardless of prior owner statements, change oil and fiulter with good filters, prbably honda filter and mobil 1 oil 1-20W.
be ready to replace coil paks and spark plugs, again hondas. be forewarned the cost of all 4 cylinders is about $500.

if you can go internet get an OBDII inspection tool for around $50 US so you can monitor the behavior of your Fit. other than that just drive it.

as for comments:
1. undercoating will likely help road noise
2. since top speed is 105 running 90 to 100 mph is not beneficial. if its 70 kph you're OK
3. power increases are slim to none; lowering, wider wheels, better tires, and adsding rear antisway bar will do wonders forcrnering and average speed. hawk brakes are a good addition too.
ps steering is small in diameter but a good wrap over will do wonders. if you are talking about not the wheel circular but the actual diameter aceross the center thats so knees will fit easily under when getting in. I added the wrap almost instantly because it matches my BMW too.

Last edited by mahout; 02-28-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Cool man. Where are you stationed in Germany. I just bought a Jazz when I got over here and I'm loving it. Is yours the US spec or Euro?

Old 03-01-2015, 03:40 PM
US SPEC. I'm planning on keeping this one til the wheel fall off.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Nice I have the gd1 and it has a 1.3L 83 hp motor. I wouldn't mind having the the U.S. spec 1.5L.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:48 PM
I believe i found a good deal. The first owner is a female and she's PCS back to the state. Someone is selling the 2009 one for twice the price too.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
IMHO,
A1 - Yeah, just change the oil. Your spark plugs are theoretically due at 100k.
B1 - Get a sew up leather steering wheel cover.
B2 - You could go a lot of ways on a shift knob. I just did a blue generic-ey aluminum one off of ebay but it's kind of a personal stylistic choice.
B3 - There are sub $100 3rd party armrests that latch into your cupholder off of ebay. No experience on the quality, though.
B4 - Get a bluetooth-aux adapter - you should have the aux jack right in front of the shifter. The Fit stereo is pretty good to start with and it's not trivial to swap out.
C1 - You're pretty much stuck with the road noise. Maybe different tires would make it better.
C2 - 100 mph will put you at almost 5k rpm, but that should be OK. That's certainly faster than most Fits will be driven, and the car is not optimized for that speed (short gear ratios; above average drag) but I don't know of any cars that have broken down due to that usage. Maybe when you change tires you might want to put on a size larger to lower your RPM's at high speed; just remember that affects your speedometer too.
C3 - The short answer is no, there are no cheap but effective speed enhancing performance mods. The long answer is to check these forums for anything you've got in mind and there is a lot of info here.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:26 AM
Whenever I get on the autobahn with mine it will cruise along just fine at 140 kph (87 mph). Much faster than that feels like it's being pushed too hard. But again my motor is the Dual spark plug 1.3 so it's down on power in comparison to yours.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
I take mine 160km/h occasionally. No issues. I usually cruise at130km/h.