1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Wheel stud broke off..what's the proper way to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:03 PM
Wheel stud broke off..what's the proper way to fix it?

Tire shop tightened the lugs way too much on the fronts and 1 stud broke off and some of the others are showing signs of damage.

What's the proper way to fix this and does anyone know the parts/part numbers I need?

Old 07-23-2015, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
u should have never left the shop. chances are they fubared all of them? or you are just finding out this now?

i had gone to a BJs tire place to get new tires a while ago, and not only did they take 4 hours to install 4 new tires, they told me a stud broke off and i need to pay for replacement and installation. obviously they broke it and i wasn't having it. anyways after all was done, i left and they left all my lugs loose. i had to pull over and tighten all off them.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
u should have never left the shop. chances are they fubared all of them? or you are just finding out this now?

i had gone to a BJs tire place to get new tires a while ago, and not only did they take 4 hours to install 4 new tires, they told me a stud broke off and i need to pay for replacement and installation. obviously they broke it and i wasn't having it. anyways after all was done, i left and they left all my lugs loose. i had to pull over and tighten all off them.
I noticed at least 4 studs with some of the threads chipping off and a lot of metal shaving. I only found out because I was going to change my brake fluid this weekend. Just my luck, I almost always just bring the tires so they don't mount/dismount them, but this time around I was lazy.

I was thinking about going back to them and complain and have them repair it but I don't trust them. Rather just do it myself

Old 07-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
i heard this isn't so easy with the FIT. u need a drill press or something to take those bolts out.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:18 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Kelsodeez had an interesting idea of using a grinder to slightly slot the knuckle so that you could just pound the studs out and slide new ones in.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ded-studs.html

Hope this helps.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
I broke off two wheel studs with a big hand wrench. We (it was my girlfriend-at-the-time's car) had to limp to the shop on three studs. My guess is that they were counterfeit studs. The nuts weren't on overly tight so it wasn't from someone getting happy with the airgun nut driver.

The broken studs have to be pressed out of the hub and the new ones pressed in. Best done with a hydraulic press so I'd take it to a shop and have it done unless you have access to one. The hub is usually removed by taking off the axle nut and pulling the hub off the axle (same procedure for lubing or removing wheel bearings).

You might be able to find a video of someone getting the broke studs out with a hammer then just relying on the pressure of the new wheel/nuts to drive the studs in but I personally wouldn't do it that way.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
Kelsodeez had an interesting idea of using a grinder to slightly slot the knuckle so that you could just pound the studs out and slide new ones in.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ded-studs.html

Hope this helps.
I'm trying to avoid this since it can be potentially dangerous

Old 07-29-2015, 03:53 PM
I've done the hammer-out, wrench in method before with no issues and would do it again if the situation arose.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by arrow_runner
I've done the hammer-out, wrench in method before with no issues and would do it again if the situation arose.
I just rather not take the chance even if it's a small risk. IMO anything related to steering/control is the most important thing when it comes to safety.

I called around a few Honda dealerships and one said they can do $200 for all 8 front studs but they might have to replace the bearings as well. That would cost an extra $200 for both front sides.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
If I were you, I would buy a hub assembly (front one or rear hub) online. I see the go for $30. Comes with hub, studs, and wheel bearing, which would be a great thing not to worry about later. take out the knuckle assembly and you could bring it down to a local Firestone or midas and have them press out your old hub and put in the new one for you for $20-40. Put the knuckle with your new hub, bearing and studs in. So u don't have to worry about that wheel bearing and studs no more. I wouldnt buy from honda unless I really had to like gaskets etc or if you like to keep everything oem honda.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:16 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
if its just one stud take a dermal and grind a corner of the post flat and you can slide it in past the knuckle into position and pull it through with a bolt and a wrench. I've had it on my car for months like that with no issues. if you want to do it properly ou need to separate the hub and the knuckle with WILL ruin your bearing not MIGHT then press a new one in.... anyone with any common sense can do this job though... just go get yourself a bearing press from auto zone or o rely or buy one at harder freight and press everything back together once you get it all lined up properly a stud is like 3 bucks tops a bearing around 40

Old 07-31-2015, 03:42 PM
Last night I ended up needing to drive my Fit to a local store and many of the front lug nuts were loose. I'm not sure exactly why but I did properly torque them before and then after. I took a closer look at the studs and some are in bad shape so I ended up dropping off the car at Honda and replacing all 8 front studs.

Thankfully I have a weekend car that I can use. I'll probably go ahead and buy a helms manual for future issues

I'll be leaving the tire shop a bad yelp review.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:45 AM
I usually cut a hole in the metal splash guard and use an impact hammer to press the stud out. Then you can use some washers and a wrench to pull a new one in.

This is on older Hondas. I'm not sure if it is different on something like the Fit.