1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2007 sport "cheaper" factory key how-to

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 03:13 PM
2007 sport "cheaper" factory key how-to

First off this is my first post and I am including some background. I am a dealer tech with 10+ years in honda. All prices are based off of majestic hondas web pricing with all OEM honda parts. Labor times are based off of established book times and what your local dealer charges will vary. This is for US market cars..

I am not affiliated with majestic they just have a good online catalog

You will NOT find any of this documented in honda literature I was exploring uncharted territory on this one.

If you do this to your car everything will work just like it was factory installed and everything will be factory OEM components. BUT, the 1 drawback is that if you do not document what is done and someone tries to add another key at a later date they will NOT be able to figure it out without help.

The whole reason for this project was that an 07 fit recently got traded in needing keys and we discovered the price of 07 sport keys is very very high for the key that contains the RKE transmitter. I was interested in owning it, but didn't want to spend $150 per key and it only had 1 worn key. So I found a way around it as a hobby project.

1) The 07 Fit is unique in the fact that it uses a immobilizer with a "H" code chip installed. This was only used a couple years and only on fit and s2000

2) The 08 Fit immoblizer system is also unique and 1 year only among Fits, but share components with odyssey and element so pricing is cheaper

3) The 08 Fit components do NOT work on a 2007 model year Fit because they added another component to the system in 2008.

So where does this leave us?

The 2007 Fit uses type 4 non ioems immobilizer. I searched for and found an immobilizer unit with correct wiring that uses this setup, but doesn't need the "H" chip. I also searched and found a 3 button key/fob (lock,unlock,panic) that works with this immobilizer unit. Here are the parts comparisons and pricing for all parts.

Factory 2007 Fit sport parts list: list price and majestic price

Gray key pn#35111-slj-307 list $60.62 majestic $41.83
Black key pn#35111-slj-306 list $47.15 majestic $32.53
Transmitter fob key pn#35111-sln-305 list $197.85! majestic $136.52

Replacement setup parts and pricing list price and majestic price

Gray key pn#35119-sda-a01 list $20.25 majestic $13.97
Black key pn#35118-sda-a01 list $19.78 majestic $13.65
Transmitter fob key pn#35111-shj-305 list $51.60 majestic $35.60

And the critical component required to make it all work

2003 accord immobilizer unit 39730-sda-a11 list $52.70 majestic $36.36

You basically are going to replace your factory 2007 fit immobilizer unit with the immobilzer unit from a 2003+ accord. This unit was used in multiple models for several years. The key is sourced from 2005-10 odyssey, 06-14 ridgeline, and 2008 Fit. Replacement of the immobilizer unit is listed at less than 1 hour shop time (your dealer can and will decide what they want to charge), but it SHOULD include programming keys in the replacement time. Your original keys will NOT start the car after this is performed. But the keyless part can still be programmed to work.

So total cost for 2 replacement transmitter keys, immobilzer unit, and $150 labor (estimated) is approximately $257.56. But, remember that the more keys you buy the larger the savings increase. And now you can add gray keys for $13.97 each up to 6 keys total.

Total parts only cost for 2 original style transmitters keys without programming is $273.04. Can you see the savings?

The programming MUST be performed by a dealership and they will charge what they want to charge, but this setup will work just like a factory designed system. But once again, if someone does not know what keys you have converted your car to use they will NOT be able to figure it out on their own so PLEASE leave documentation with the car.

Last edited by mcnoople; 08-26-2015 at 05:26 PM. Reason: This is for US market cars
Old 08-26-2015, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
why bother when for about $40 you can get a key, have it cut and then added it yourself???
Instructions were posted many years ago.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
Hay, I know you!

Great investigative work. It's always cool putting Honda parts together to get what you want.

Originally Posted by fit2bking
why bother when for about $40 you can get a key, have it cut and then added it yourself???
You still need to go to the dealer to get the immobilizer chip programmed. This maintains all OEM parts and you can add up to 6 cheaper keys.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by fit2bking
Can you find a $40 transmitter key/fob for a 2007 fit? Can you find a factory part for less than $100? Yes, the plain no-remote keys are $40 but the keyless key is $140. You have the ability to program your own immobilizer key? I would like to see that. These are all rolling code cars, no clones allowed.

This method allows you to but the new immobi unit and 3 transmitter key fobs for the price of 1 standard 2007 keyless style transmitter keyfob. And the later style keys are much more common and will continue to be produced, the 2007 only keys are likely to increase in price due to very limited production runs/supply.

The later plain keys are approximately 1/3-1/2 the price of the original 2007 only key. It is $13 compared to $32. As these cars age and their keys wear out and they do wear with use this will become more important. Most honda dealers will not repair an ignition cylinder when it seizes, they replace it. Worn keys are very large contributing factor in ignition cylinder problems due to how the keys wear and spread the pins.

Also I forgot to mention in the original post, but honda also sell transmitter key bodies for approx $13 that would allow you to transfer your existing keyless transmitter into the new shell that would work to start the car. The shell would be listed as fitting 2005-2010 odyssey LX.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
if immobilizer disables fuel pump than hot wire fuel pump and you ready to go!

Old 03-03-2017, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
So the parts on the replacement list should work directly with an 08 fit immobilizer? I working on getting the parts together to add keyless entry to my 08 base model.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Doc J - is that really all it does? On my VW passat I was able to pull out that immobilizer chip in the key and glue it under the ignition to use aftermarket keys. If all I have to do on the fit to do the same is run a toggle to the fuel pump, I'll happily do that. Thoughts?

Old 03-03-2017, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
The fuel pump is controlled by the ECU so that if something goes wrong it can cut fuel, if you bypass that and get in a wreck you could end up in a car-b-que. For instance when the engine stops the pump stops when trying to start.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by geopat
So the parts on the replacement list should work directly with an 08 fit immobilizer?
The immobilizer system used in the 08 is not the same as the 07 system. We did it only to avoid the high cost of replacement keys.
(I purchased the car that eventually became the guinea pig for the conversion)

Altering or converting the immobilizer in a 2008 Fit has not been attempted by us....and I'm not sure why we would bother to attempt such a conversion. The prices of the keys aren't absolutely insane for an 08 Fit.

I working on getting the parts together to add keyless entry to my 08 base model.
AFAIK the Honda accessory keyless entry kit used a separate remote fob, so the key and immobilizer were completely separate and unrelated systems.

HTH

Last edited by ezone; 03-03-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by doctor J
if immobilizer disables fuel pump than hot wire fuel pump and you ready to go!
No, this is completely wrong. You necro a 2 year old thread to post this rubbish. Immobilizer diasables the injectors and it may even kill the spark. It isn't a stupid system and that is what it would be if it just killed the pump.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by geopat
So the parts on the replacement list should work directly with an 08 fit immobilizer? I working on getting the parts together to add keyless entry to my 08 base model.
The purpose of this thread is different than what you are trying to do. The proper key for a 2008 honda fit sport with built in keyless transmitter was 35111-SHJ-305 . This is actually originally an odyssey part number and was used on 2005-2010 LX trim odyssey's and all 1st gen ridgelines(2006-2014). Because of this it isn't an expensive key. Current pricing through majestic is only $37.53 including the transmitter and its battery.

To add keyless to a 2008 fit base model you would need to add a module and wiring. At that point you "might" be able to get a key with integrated remote that would program to the system. It might even be the part number I supplied but without a car to test it on I can't say for certain. I suspect that it would work, but really don't know for a fact.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by fittenmittens
Doc J - is that really all it does? On my VW passat I was able to pull out that immobilizer chip in the key and glue it under the ignition to use aftermarket keys. If all I have to do on the fit to do the same is run a toggle to the fuel pump, I'll happily do that. Thoughts?
What you did to your passat would likely also work on a honda immobi system, but why would you want to. The key shells aren't very expensive. The transmitters keys are only slightly more expensive. The non transmitters blanks are $20. What is so expensive with keys is dealer markup and programming costs. This is why any time you get keys programmed you should get as many as you can afford. It costs the same whether you programming 1 or 5. The system can retain 6 separate keys on most models.

So if you have 1 key and the others are all missing you would to have all keys deleted and then have all keys you have added back into the system.

Just to add some dealers do add a small fee for cutting the side winder style high security keys. My dealer is charging a flat $10 per key and have just started charging this since I started this thread a year and a half ago.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:41 PM
I got quotes from 4+ dealers and none would cut keys unless I bought from them, and programming was over 65$/key - so over $100 for each key. I'd expect a bypass to be... wildly more cost effective.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fittenmittens
I got quotes from 4+ dealers and none would cut keys unless I bought from them, and programming was over 65$/key - so over $100 for each key. I'd expect a bypass to be... wildly more cost effective.
Check local locksmiths, see if any of them stock (or can obtain) and cut Hondas sidewinder keys, make sure they have the equipment to program these immobilizer keys. If they don't, ask if they know one who does.
At least you'd have a starting point other than a dealer this way, then you can decide how to proceed after you know if you have options.

I know in my small burg this stuff is 'dealer only', but I'd think in a large city like Charlotte (NC?) someone besides the dealers would have spent the money to tool up for this kind of work.

I do know a couple damn good Honda techs maybe an hour away from there if you want to travel a little.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:34 PM
I just posted this after purchasing an 07 Fit Sport with only one working key..

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...formation.html

If you dont mind buying from eBay china sellers, you can get a key for $12, cut for $25, programmed for $45-60.

I can vouch for the quality of the "Chinese" keys They look and feel like OEM keys.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:46 PM
subscribed!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2019, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Talking

Originally Posted by mcnoople
No, this is completely wrong. You necro a 2 year old thread to post this rubbish. Immobilizer diasables the injectors and it may even kill the spark. It isn't a stupid system and that is what it would be if it just killed the pump.
Gee!
Its not a rubbish, it's discussion!
Reminded about another genius posted on the different forum
According to the information from service manual, the immobilizer on Fit only kills the fuel pump by removing ground from FP relay
I would be happy to know if it's disables injectors as well!
The immo sometimes as effective as Takata airbags!

Last edited by doctor J; 02-25-2019 at 03:59 PM.