1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Problem with 'jerking' Honda Fit 2002

Old 08-29-2015, 06:27 AM
Exclamation Problem with 'jerking' Honda Fit 2002

I know next to nothing about cars so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me find out what's wrong with my Fit!

My 2002 automatic Honda Fit has recently been jerking and jumping when I accelerate, almost like a bunnyhop.
I have taken it to the mechanic but he couldn't find anything, and he was unable to feel the jerk while test driving (as always!)
It happens nearly every time I accelerate to get on the motorway or accelerate away from traffic lights and it jerks multiple times in a row. It doesn't feel like it's going to cut out, it just feels like a strong jerk as I accelerate, sometimes when it's going up gears but it also happens when the car isn't changing gears.
The mechanic checked spark plugs and said they looked fine, the car also had a brand new transmission 2 years ago so it shouldn't be that.
Does anyone know what could be causing this? Or has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-05-2015, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
Could be your coilpacks going out. I have a 2007 MT and had sluggish/jerky acceleration which eventually led to a misfire in cyl 2. Your mechanic should be able to check whether they're going bad with a multimeter.

Factory coilpacks on my GD3 lasted about 125k miles before I needed to replace them.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:58 PM
Have you had a valve adjustment? If they are out of spec then the manifold pressure/rpm dictates when to shift the automatic transmission. Plugs will look fine cause the Hondas tend to run lean anyway, even if they are burning up valves out of adjustment. Had the same issue on a UK jazz and U.S. Fit, valves to tight!

Good luck

Old 09-21-2015, 11:28 PM
I researched this for a long time for a few years ago. Mine was also bucking when the car was accelerating. I found that the operation of the EGR valve changes under a load. So when going g uphill or accelerating, the EGR changes. If the EGR is clogged, the car won't get the expected air/fuel. I pulled off my valve and sure enough it was clogged. That also led me to research cleaning the EGR passages. I posted a video on YouTube about how to clean the EGR passages on the fit. However I believe it was the clogged valve which caused the bucking problem.

Then I also had a hesitation when leaving. I stopped problem by cleaning the wires for the coil packs.

The EGR valve, EGR passages, and coil wires were cleaned without using any new parts or gaskets. Now it runs fantastic!