1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Wheel Thefts - is it just for the alloys?

Old 09-15-2015, 11:39 PM
Wheel Thefts - is it just for the alloys?

I'm looking to buy a used 2008 Honda Fit Sport but am very concerned about the many reports of wheel thefts.

I live in a suburb of DC and sometimes drive in. The suburb is pretty safe but I'd be parking it outdoors, unsecured 100% of the time.
If I just bought a different size and/or steel wheels, would I essentially become a non-target? From what I've read, wheel locks and tilt alarms are recommended, but really those aren't going to do much.

I really love the fit, but don't want to have to deal with the headache of getting the tires stolen, possibly multiple times.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Alloys yes, I've read reports where thieves steal them right off the dealer lot. I have two wheel locks per wheel now on my GK, and STILL my wheels were almost stolen a few weeks ago.

I can tell this because of all the scuff/scratch marks around the lug nut holes of the rim and was missing two of the standard lugnuts. The only reason I still have my rims is because my 2nd locking lug nut is a Gorilla brand with the spinning collar. With enough time though, it can be defeated, but I have never left my car overnight or few days at a shady spot. My neighborhood is quiet for the most part, but I keep my pistol permit renewed regardless...

Bottom line, if you are concerned about your wheels being stolen, then buy cheap steel rims. they may not look pretty, but are stronger and the "hoods" don't care for them much at all.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
Tilt sensor with a 2 way communication alarm along with the new Gorilla locks are the best way IMO.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
I can tell this because of all the scuff/scratch marks around the lug nut holes of the rim and was missing two of the standard lugnuts. The only reason I still have my rims is because my 2nd locking lug nut is a Gorilla brand with the spinning collar. With enough time though, it can be defeated, but I have never left my car overnight or few days at a shady spot. My neighborhood is quiet for the most part, but I keep my pistol permit renewed regardless...
Which model Gorilla lock nuts are you using?

Old 09-16-2015, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by GolNat
Tilt sensor with a 2 way communication alarm along with the new Gorilla locks are the best way IMO.
My understanding is the good gorilla lock nuts with the rotating sleeve are incompatible with the OEM rims, has gorilla put out a new version?

Also, 2-way alarm recommendations? I see Viper is popular but I hear terrible things about their old remotes failing or their new ones being way too sensitive and overall a lot of other issues.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by whatcarresponsible
My understanding is the good gorilla lock nuts with the rotating sleeve are incompatible with the OEM rims, has gorilla put out a new version?

Also, 2-way alarm recommendations? I see Viper is popular but I hear terrible things about their old remotes failing or their new ones being way too sensitive and overall a lot of other issues.
Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 61631 Acorn Gorilla Guard Locks (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) - Pack of 4: Automotive Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 61631 Acorn Gorilla Guard Locks (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) - Pack of 4: Automotive

These are what I have. They are taller than the OEM wheel locks so they will stick out of the rim slightly, but the spinning collar is very good.

My only complaint is that they are not stainless steel, and only being on the car a few months are showing signs of surface rust.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
My Fit came with factory steel rims with 175/65-14 tires. The second day my plastic hub caps were stolen and thrown into the nearest trash bin by jealous neighbor (who owned sporty Nissan with dreaded timing chain noise).[He was evicted later for non payment, but anyways]. While I was able to successfully save my hubcaps, I never put them back in and sold them later for 1/4 of their price. I also using budget tires (because I do not drive much) and do not want to have 70,000 mi expensive tires disintegrating due to their age.
The small tires are easier to handle in event of power steering failure, although they make car more sensitive on the rough roads. BTW one time I had one chrome lug nut stolen from my 87 Camry with nearly bald tires