1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Wandering issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Wandering issue

I just bought my first Honda Fit. It's 2007 Fit Sport auto trans with 94K miles.
So far I've flushed the trans fluid, flushed the coolant (with genuine Honda fluids). I'm attacking the dash rattling noises with black rubber fuel tube between the dash and windshield.......

So, I'd like to know what people are doing to combat the wandering issue on grooved rough roads. I replaced the tires today and thought it would help since the rear right tire was REALLY bad. So today, I'm driving home in high wind gusts and the front end and back end feel like they are moving all over the place at higher speeds. I've already checked the whole suspension for broken or worn parts and everything is okay.

I've been reading the forums and need to read more but so far I'm considering getting a Beatrush Under Panel and a rear sway bar to help alleviate this wandering problem.

I'm not going to put a lot of money into this 07 Fit but I'm wondering if someone has a few good suggestions that may help.

Thanks, Kurt

Old 12-11-2015, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
Check your tire pressures first. Try the fronts at the PSI on the sticker on the drivers door jam, the rears a couple pounds less (if it's just you in the car).

What kind of tires did you buy? Read the Tire Rack reviews of those tires to see if the wander (aka Tramlining) is inherent in the tires. Sometimes, almost 'bald' tires wander, but so do the tread patterns on some tire models.

Next I'd have the suspension bushings checked, and if they are sound, get a four wheel alignment. (Mention the issue you are having, often an alignment shop can set the suspension to one end of spec to eliminate issue....in this case, increased Caster might help).

A sway bar or under-chassis brace would be a waste of money IMO, that won't fix wandering at all if the rubber bushings are 'tight'.

Our stock '07 drives straight and true with 125K miles on the clock.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:50 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
It's kind of an inherent characteristic of this car because it has a high profile, short wheelbase, and low weight. Cars with a lower profile, longer wheelbase, and/or more weight will be more stable at high speeds.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:13 PM
Okay, I'll have the suspension bushings checked. I'll have to look for an automotive shop that specializes in suspensions or take it to the dealer.

I have played with the tire pressure already but haven't noticed much change. I checked tirerack and my tires don't usually exhibit that behavior.

And, I realize this type of vehicle will move around, float, and maybe exhibit a tramlining effect. But this is very bad when traveling at a speed above 55mph on uneven roads. I feel like I'm stuck behind a semi!

Old 12-11-2015, 06:28 PM
I just went out and measured the wheel well height from my garage floor to the top of the wheel well. Wheel well height on the Rear right is 25-1/2". All others are 24-1/2" high!

What would cause this

Old 12-12-2015, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Bad bushing or sagging spring? Or, poorly repaired accident damage?

That's why I said have the alignment shop check 'em FIRST.

Here's a good read regarding damage collision repair: There are two interesting chapters.

HackBlog: Fitting the Risk, Risking the Fit (part 1 -- the purchase)
HackBlog: Fitting the Risk, Risking the Fit (part 2 -- the delivery)

PS, if you don't know a good alignment shop, ask at a Porsche or race shop. They would do it to your specs, or know where to send you.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:23 PM
So, I jacked the car up for the 5th time to look under the rear again. I'm going to replace the rear shocks and I've been having trouble removing the lower left shock bolt .... so I jack it up each day and spray penetrating oil and work it back and forth.....

Today I looked at the arm bushing in the rear suspension axle mount and find that both are damaged and need to be replaced. This would certainly account for the side to side movement I've been experiencing!

Thinking about replacing it myself.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Foiled
But this is very bad when traveling at a speed above 55mph on uneven roads. I feel like I'm stuck behind a semi!
A semi is beating your tiny little car around with air. The rough road is beating your tiny little car around by grabbing the tires and waving them around. Not much there to fix.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:19 PM
Maybe alignment issue?