1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Air Intake Upgrade

Old 12-31-2015, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
Air Intake Upgrade

I've seen a couple threads on upgrading the air intake. Are there any recommended models?

I see these here:

2008 HONDA FIT Air Intake Kits - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Any suggestions on the brands? 10 choices and 5 brands. K&N, AFE, Injen, AEM, and DC.

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2015, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ryan Hendrickson
I've seen a couple threads on upgrading the air intake. Are there any recommended models?

I see these here:

2008 HONDA FIT Air Intake Kits - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Any suggestions on the brands? 10 choices and 5 brands. K&N, AFE, Injen, AEM, and DC.

Thanks!
You'll love AFE. Old Greedy em0ployee left when they went under in the USA and started a very good company AEM is good. Depends if the whether can put you more at risk for hydrolocking like say the southeast of dry like southwest. Location you left a dead-end on... ��. I just boubough HPS intake but short ram because I leave in southeast. I almost locked my engine in my Prelude. I lived in Orlando then. I saw the puddle coming so I put car in neutral and all it needed were new plugs. If you don't want to deal with that a lot, go short ram. L15 response well to intake and let's not forget the sound at WOT. Go on youtube and plug 07-08 fit with intake. You'll be bound to buy 30sec after. There is no engine as smooth sounding as a Honda. The intake saves gas once you stop flooring it to hear the L15 do its thing with authority. If there is a negative, Honda can make their engine sound like it's 160hp...��. Feel free to ask questions. No question is a dumb one. Especially with engine parts and if you'll be covered.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:37 AM
5 Year Member
You can't go wrong with any of the brands. It's a tube with a filter on the end, they are all pretty similar. I have always had a CAI on my cars and have never had an issue with water. You have to completly submerge the filter in water to have it hydrolock your engine. Avoid large puddles and flooded roads (good to do regardless). They make bypass filters that you can use so that if you do submerge the filter it will not suck up water.

I had an Injen on my Civic and was very impressed with the fit and finish.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
I guess what I'm curious about is if anyone has a recommendation for what they thought was the best performance increase air intake.

I tend to trust the K&N brand, K&N 69-1016-1TS Air Intake, 69 Series Typhoon Kits, and it advertises a 5 HP gain at 5500 RPM.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:28 PM
BTW, I'm the site rep now for Bean Garage. We carry the AEM and others for the 1st Gen. Check out the site and you'll get a member discount for being on fitfreak.net... Just pm me for any questions.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
BTW, I'm the site rep now for Bean Garage. We carry the AEM and others for the 1st Gen. Check out the site and you'll get a member discount for being on fitfreak.net... Just pm me for any questions.
wow thats awesome, im a new member and fit owner lol so ill keep that in mind.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
If you use a gauze filter FOLLOW the manufacturers direction on cleaning and oiling, its critical to make them work correctly. If your running a exposed element filter use a outerwear cover on it it will help you keep the filter clean.

If you have a low intake that might get water in it, you can always add a piece pf plastic pipe to the stock location to allow enough air to bypass to prevent the suction for getting high enough to lift a 4" column of water.

Last edited by dwtaylorpdx; 02-09-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by mangosmoody
wow thats awesome, im a new member and fit owner lol so ill keep that in mind.
Funny tou live near where I was when in Florida as a Embry-Riddle student. Lived in Lake Mary. I used to frequent the Abercrombie-N-Fitch at Altamonte Mall on Semeron Blvd lol. Man my college memories 99-04. Cant wait to move back.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Topfuel Japan manufactures really awesome aftermarket intakes and filters. They are a bit hard to come by but it's worth it.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
I originally installed a "Supa Sucka" intake from H-Fit and it didn't help much. Waste of money. Installed a PRM Jet Stream, a truly innovative design; sealed it to my fender well intake port which is designed to feed ambient air to the intake, with some cheap hardware store wrap and duct tape and felt a palpable difference in performance ever since. Most folks never discuss the fact that Honda designs the drivers side fender well to be an intake plenum with small scoops next to the fog light. I also drilled three screws to seal the fender well to the fender near the bottom as at speed with the intake installed as such it blew the fender well insert out. So we are talking about mild ram air. My L15 Alpha LOVES IT.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone know if there's a video for the AEM product install, like there is for this K&N one:
?

Thanks

Old 02-09-2017, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
I use a large cone shaped AutoZone Spectre filter. The AEM cold air intake I bought shortly after getting my car was torn off along with the front bumper when an 18 wheeler tire tread was slung off in front of me.. I presently have a short ram intake.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 02-11-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:56 AM
I stayed with the OEM intake box. Removed side baffles and added a 2.5" silicone 90degree angle tube to connect from TB to the intake box. Added K&N drop in filter part number 33-2359 and it sounds great.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Gotcha - any increased performance? Sometimes I commute on a highway that's 70mph, however there's a series of major hills, so in 5th gear, with my foot all the way on the pedal, the Fit just loses the mile/per/hour race. I end up in 4th gear to get back to the highway speed going up the hill.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ryan Hendrickson
Gotcha - any increased performance? Sometimes I commute on a highway that's 70mph, however there's a series of major hills, so in 5th gear, with my foot all the way on the pedal, the Fit just loses the mile/per/hour race. I end up in 4th gear to get back to the highway speed going up the hill.
i dont have that problem at all, but then again i have a header and downpipe plus oem 07 civic si axelback. I also kept the stock box and added 2.5 in silicone pipe.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
just leave it stock man.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
just leave it stock man.

easier said than done Solbrothers

my fit is my daily and no matter how many times I tell myself I will NOT modify it. I find something small to do to it LOL.

but I do agree with you. leave the stock intake box. I dropped in a KN filter in mine.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
thats what i did. just the drop in filter. I know it doesnt give any power but now i dont have to replace it ever. just clean it.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
thats what i did. just the drop in filter. I know it doesnt give any power but now i dont have to replace it ever. just clean it.

Yup. I mean I did the whole baffle delete to make it look a bit cleaner but other than that just added black 2.5' 90 degree coupler and the filter. I now have a little more space in the engine bay

Old 02-15-2017, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
I want to do something to suck in warmer air. For that mpg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Intake Upgrade