1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2008 fit, new to scene, have questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Question 2008 fit, new to scene, have questions..

Okay, so I recently purchased a used 2008 honda fit and I wanna lower it, issue is I don't wanna spend much more than $650 and I can't seem to find any coilovers that fit the 08 model. Is there a difference between the 08 and 09 coilovers? Any help would be highly appreciated..

Old 01-06-2016, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
You probably want to do some serious searching on the forum, the are slightly eccentric little cars and theres a bunch of threads about suspension kits, pro's and cons.. .

Old 01-08-2016, 11:55 PM
considering how low the stock honda fit is, lowering this car is just poor taste especially if it is your daily driver. Taking certain bumps with a load (like 4 passengers and their gear) will bottom out the rear end when going over speed bumps.

A coupe on the other end... but yes search that shit and prepare to dump more than 650 into it

Old 01-09-2016, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vap3
considering how low the stock honda fit is, lowering this car is just poor taste especially if it is your daily driver. Taking certain bumps with a load (like 4 passengers and their gear) will bottom out the rear end when going over speed bumps.

A coupe on the other end... but yes search that shit and prepare to dump more than 650 into it
I agree...After being on lowering springs for 5 years on the Fit, I gave up because it got old with the rubbing. I went through rear tires pretty quick and felt like I lost some practicality. But whatever floats your boat.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Before I go into detail I will recite the old phrase... "You get what you pay for.".

You may be able to find some decent coil overs for 650 used... but if looking for new, best of luck both in terms of price and quality. Suspension is one thing that I stress to not skimp out on since it drastically can effect the car's driving characteristics and practicality.

What's your motive for coil overs? Looking to fresh up the suspension with a complete/matching kit? Autocross? Stance? Etc...

I honestly haven't been in the loop for a bit so pricing may have fluctuated and companies may have ceased production... check out Tein and Megan Racing for complete and fairy priced kits as a starting point.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DaksRoom
Okay, so I recently purchased a used 2008 honda fit and I wanna lower it, issue is I don't wanna spend much more than $650 and I can't seem to find any coilovers that fit the 08 model. Is there a difference between the 08 and 09 coilovers? Any help would be highly appreciated..
$650 will buy junk coilovers produced in Taiwan.

Will you be installing them yourself?

If not, do it yourself and save a few hundred dollars & use that extra money to buy suspension worth having.

How low do you want to be?

To those who say the Fit is low stock & rubbing is an issue....no, its not. If you lower your car & pick the correct size wheels rubbing is not that big an issue. My GD was lowered & had aftermarket wheels, plus a J's Racing lip...and I never scraped/rubbed.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
$650 will buy junk coilovers produced in Taiwan.

Will you be installing them yourself?

If not, do it yourself and save a few hundred dollars & use that extra money to buy suspension worth having.

How low do you want to be?

To those who say the Fit is low stock & rubbing is an issue....no, its not. If you lower your car & pick the correct size wheels rubbing is not that big an issue. My GD was lowered & had aftermarket wheels, plus a J's Racing lip...and I never scraped/rubbed.
I guess we are speaking for our selves here regarding the scraping issue. I scraped with anything but stock or hfp wheels but those 2 had super high offsets.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Remedi
I guess we are speaking for our selves here regarding the scraping issue. I scraped with anything but stock or hfp wheels but those 2 had super high offsets.
How low were you? Wheel specs? Tire sizes?

I had 15x7 +37 Advan Kreuzer XII w/ 195/50 Yoko S.Drives.

Never rolled fenders or even tucked fender liners, though I was only lowered on Tein S-Techs.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
How low were you? Wheel specs? Tire sizes?

I had 15x7 +37 Advan Kreuzer XII w/ 195/50 Yoko S.Drives.

Never rolled fenders or even tucked fender liners, though I was only lowered on Tein S-Techs.
I was lowered on progress lowering springs. The wheels I had ranged from +35 to +20pm offsets. I'm not sure if the Dragon DR44s were 37 or 35 but I only had those for a week and they didn't rub once. Maybe +37 and up would be playing it safe. I had front and rear fenders rolled and shaved some of the rear tabs down but still experienced rubbing with anything +35 and lower.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
+20 is going to rub, no doubt.

+30-35 shouldn't have rubbed having put in that much work unless you were using stock size tires or 205's.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
In my honest opinion, Progress lowering springs have a boo-boo (near stock like) spring rate for anything aside from daily use at a lowered height and a mild wheel / tire package if you refrain from the use of camber bolts and fender modification. Tucking the front fender liners and shaving (and relocating) the rear bumper's mounting tab may be necessary.

For example: Saved ran these springs on his SSM GD3 (formally LOZA's) with 15x7 ET 35 or 38 Kosei K1s and 205/50 Z1 Star Specs and rubbed. Again, no camber bolts or fender mods.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Hey DaksRoom,

I have 2- 08 Fits right now; BPM bone stock & BOM with a drop and the 1.5" drop (springs and re-aligned) on the BOM just sucks compared to the BPM stock set up. But the BOM looks sooo much better dropped, ima.

Hootie and Mike b know way more than most here on tire and drop selection, I'm just say'n stock looks hi rise but lowering takes the ride quality to less than comfortable situations.

Poke the tires to the fender lip and slam 'er! that looks the best imho.
Enjoy the lil beast

BTW Welcome to FF's!
You Have the Best model Fit made the GD3, an icon among Fits

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 01-10-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
In my honest opinion, Progress lowering springs have a boo-boo (near stock like) spring rate for anything aside from daily use at a lowered height and a mild wheel / tire package if you refrain from the use of camber bolts and fender modification. Tucking the front fender liners and shaving (and relocating) the rear bumper's mounting tab may be necessary.

For example: Saved ran these springs on his SSM GD3 (formally LOZA's) with 15x7 ET 35 or 38 Kosei K1s and 205/50 Z1 Star Specs and rubbed. Again, no camber bolts or fender mods.
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
I have 2- 08 Fits right now; BPM bone stock & BOM with a drop and the 1.5" drop (springs and re-aligned) on the BOM just sucks compared to the BPM stock set up. But the BOM looks sooo much better dropped, ima.

And Hootie and Mike b know way more than most here on tire and drop selection, I'm just say'n stock looks hi rise but lowering takes the ride quality to less than comfortable situation.

Poke the tires to the fender lip and slam 'er! that looks the best imho.
Enjoy the lil beast

BTW Welcome to FF's!
You Have the Best model Fit made the GD3, an icon among Fits
This is why when I get around to replacing the suspension on Mrs. 410b's GD3, I'll be buying a set of J's/Showa dampers & springs.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Once winter is over I will be installing my coilovers. I purchased a used set of stance coilovers for $400, I plan on swapping the springs out with a higher spring rate.

Yay for nonfunctional fits!

The slammed life chose me.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:32 PM
I ended up going with the bc extreme coilovers, one of my good time buddies is a sales rep for a distributor out of Texas, still costed $1000 but hopefully they work good! Found a ton of good reviews on them and they're fully adjustable. I'll let you guys all know how the ride quality and everything is once I get the on! (2-3 weeks before they get here.)

Old 01-11-2016, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
I ended up going with the bc extreme coilovers, one of my good time buddies is a sales rep for a distributor out of Texas, still costed $1000 but hopefully they work good! Found a ton of good reviews on them and they're fully adjustable. I'll let you guys all know how the ride quality and everything is once I get the on! (2-3 weeks before they get here.)
Oof. Yeah you spent $1000 on Taiwan stuff.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Oof. Yeah you spent $1000 on Taiwan stuff.
I heard they were good! Guess we will find out. It was between those and ksports, just read a pot about the dampening going bad on the ksports..

Old 01-11-2016, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
They're the same.

BC, KSport, Megan, Stance, Buddy Club, low level Tein, Stance, Skunk2 are all made in a couple factories in Taiwan.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:25 PM
And I heard buddy club n+ were the best to have..

Old 01-11-2016, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
And I heard buddy club n+ were the best to have..
Hit and miss with those. You'd be best suited with either Konis or Tokico HTS and Ground Controls if you really want some GOOD suspension to run the car on.

Quick Reply: 2008 fit, new to scene, have questions..