1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

questions about manual transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
questions about manual transmission fluid change

Does changing this fluid make the clutch feel smoother or the actual gear box feel smoother/better? Or perhaps...neither??

THose who have done this...what was the noted result?

Old 05-15-2016, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Yes. Smoother gearbox feel. Smoother shifting. You might even use the word "slicker." I'm going to be changing mine again soon. I've got about 8k mi. on the last MT fluid change, and I can feel that it needs to be done again.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm. trans fluid shouldn't need touched in a manual any more often than 12K or so.. Make darn sure your fluid is rated to the exact spec of the tranny, I used the wrong redline once and trashed my synchro's....

Old 05-17-2016, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Hmm. trans fluid shouldn't need touched in a manual any more often than 12K or so..
I don't know what that means or where it comes from or what evidence you have to support that statement, but I'm not concerned about my car. By the way, I'm using Honda MT Fluid.

You may be familiar with the video interview, now some years old, with the guy who designed the S2000. When he was asked what owners should do to best maintain their cars, he said to change the MT fluid often. S2000 had Aisin gearboxes.

That's all I know.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:39 AM
Changing your fluid often will give a perceptual improvement to shift feel. As long as you don't have extremely ancient high mileage fluid it will be fine. Improper viscosity will affect shift feel especially in colder climates. Honestly the MT fluid isn't complicated stuff. I recall the pre-maintenance minder spec on MT fluid being every 30k miles. I have seen plenty of honda at 100k on original MT fluid, but I would change it every 30K if it was mine.

Trans fluid has nothing to do with clutch feel, that is the brake fluid that is used in the clutch hydraulic system. The fluid used in the clutch should be changed every 3 years with no regard to mileage. In more humid climates I would change the clutch systems fluid more often because it is hygroscopic which means it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. Even if the fluid is old you should not be able to feel a difference unless the seals in the clutch master cylinder are dragging on deposits in the bore. If you have a line of deposits it will trash the seals eventually.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:55 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
My transmission feels exactly the same every time I change the MTF.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
My transmission feels exactly the same every time I change the MTF.
^^^ One could argue that you are replacing it too often! J/K

I follow the 30K or two year interval on both our Fit and CR-V. There isn't a LOT of improved shift feel at those intervals.

OTOH, a friends Acura RSX felt REALLY improved after he replaced the MTF the first time....at 95K miles.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
You cannot possibly actually feel any difference from replacing the fluid.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
No more click when shifting to reverse from park!

Old 06-25-2016, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
^^^ One could argue that you are replacing it too often! J/K
There could be some truth at the heart of this kidding.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by der Mond
Don't change it, then.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
You can feel the difference. Honestly I've never considered this a critical maintenance item. I'd do it on the interval or, if you just want to see, then more frequently. The hardest part is disposing of the ex fluid in a way that isn't environmentally reprehensible. The actual change is quite easy

Old 06-28-2016, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
I don't know what that means or where it comes from or what evidence you have to support that statement, but I'm not concerned about my car. By the way, I'm using Honda MT Fluid.

You may be familiar with the video interview, now some years old, with the guy who designed the S2000. When he was asked what owners should do to best maintain their cars, he said to change the MT fluid often. S2000 had Aisin gearboxes.

That's all I know.
My experience,,
I use a lab Oil analysis.. Pull a sample every few K ish,, until the lab says its worn out and you've got your service interval.. few transmissions for me have had any sign of fluid breakdown before 20K. Not to say driving style doesn't affect the outcome... Heck normal assembly tolerances can affect some of the needs for service..

Cheers!

Old 08-09-2022, 04:58 PM
After 120k miles I definitely did. Instantly. A great item to keep in your maintenance schedule for sure.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:55 PM
If you want a better feeling clutch, you'll have to flush your clutch hydraulic fluid. It just takes DOT 3/4 brake fluid, same as the brake system. I personally always change the brake and clutch fluid at the same time, that being every 2 years. Just did it on my GK5 a few days ago, but the process will be similar enough for any car.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:13 AM
Have changed my transmission fluid twice since buying my Fit.
Didn't notice any difference either time.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
I apologize if my previous posts in this thread were flatfooted and sounded less than friendly.

@Breezer I'm not surprised that you didn't feel any difference. Sometimes I don't feel much difference either. I can't explain this.

@dwtaylorpdx It's hard to argue with lab tests and the scientific method. It sounds like you have things under control. Maybe the oil is not "worn out"; however, I could bring up the issue of dirt accumulation and metal sheering that might accumulate in MT fluid over time. But I have little evidence to support that.

Cheers to you, sir.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SkylineFTW97
If you want a better feeling clutch, you'll have to flush your clutch hydraulic fluid. It just takes DOT 3/4 brake fluid, same as the brake system. I personally always change the brake and clutch fluid at the same time, that being every 2 years. Just did it on my GK5 a few days ago, but the process will be similar enough for any car.
By the way, I had lazy clutch return issues, and my go-to shop found that the slave cylinder I'd replaced with a Honda OEM part was defective; an aftermarket one worked perfectly. The rubber line was also oozing despite that I'd replaced it, and they took it to a local shop that was able to make me an arctic-grade rubber line. Lastly, they have found that Liqui-Moly synthetic DOT 5.1 brake fluid seems to be the best product for cold weather. With that in my clutch system it now shifts smooth as silk. It has NOTHING to do with changing the MTF, but I do that religiously every year with Honda MTF, anyway.
https://products.liqui-moly.com/brak...dot-5-1-1.html

Last edited by der Mond; 08-11-2022 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:57 AM
Smile

By the way, I had lazy clutch return issues, and my go-to shop found that the slave cylinder I'd replaced with a Honda OEM part was defective; an aftermarket one worked perfectly. The rubber line was also oozing despite that I'd replaced it, and they took it to a local shop that was able to make me an arctic-grade rubber line. Lastly, they have found that Liqui-Moly synthetic DOT 5.1 brake fluid seems to be the best product for cold weather. With that in my clutch system it now shifts smooth as silk. It has NOTHING to do with changing the MTF, but I do that religiously every year with Honda MTF, anyway.
https://products.liqui-moly.com/brak...dot-5-1-1.html
Hello! Thank you for the useful link!

Old 08-21-2022, 02:47 PM
I know this is an old threat that just got bumped but lol at changing gearbox oil every 8k or even 12k. The official guideline is every 120k km or 72k miles: Maintenance Schedule for Normal Conditions - European Model (Except CVT-KG/KE/KR/KK/KT)

Having changed the fluid in my Fit and Miata (with a supposedly magical Motorcraft fluid), I'm 90% sure nobody would be able to feel the difference by just driving the car.

Quick Reply: questions about manual transmission fluid change