1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Is it worth replacing the engine on an '08 with 160k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Is it worth replacing the engine on an '08 with 160k miles?

Hi everyone, I know this is my first post, but I'm in a really bad situation and have nowhere else to turn for advice.

My 08 Honda fit Sport just recently ejected the spark plug, melted the coil, and stripped the cylinder head on the way out of the 3rd cylinder. It made a loud 'pop' as I was driving then I immediately pulled over to check and see what was wrong. The sound went away then started making a 'fut fut fut' as the third cylinder was firing. I took it into the dealership and they want to do a full teardown (which I haven't approved yet) and potentially scrap the engine. This is the same dealership that replaced all four spark plugs and all four coils on this engine since I bought it used at 58k miles. This all seems really suspicious, spark plugs don't just fly out of a honda!

My question is, is that even worth it on a car this old? The repair is going to be like 2k+. I thought this wasn't supposed to happen on Hondas.
If I do replace the engine, will I get another 100k+ out of it?
Will the surrounding components deteriorate and cause more major repair?
Anyone know of a way to do this reliably and for cheap in the LA (South Bay) area?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks so much, everybody! This really means a lot.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Same dealer that replaced your plugs and coilpacks wants to install another engine? Sounds fishy. Perhaps plug #3 was not torqued down properly and now you're suffering the result.

Assuming that you didn't fool with plug #3 since replacement, I think the dealership has some culpability. Tell them this. If they balk, take them to small claims court and tell the judge your story. Seriously. It might cost you $100 to file a claim and have a process server serve the dealership, but the real power is not behind whatever the courts decide, it's having the dealership employees spending a day testifying in court which takes away from whatever they could be doing on the job instead.

Now I realize that in the meantime you're without a vehicle. Get the vehicle out of that dealership, have it towed somewhere else, and rent or borrow a vehicle in the interim. Sure beats spending $2K on another engine.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:45 AM
Your Fit when running is probably worth around $5K. Its not clear to me if the $2K is to repair the old motor or to put in a new one. If its for a new one I would pay the $2K. Whats your other option ?

Old 08-23-2016, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
100% dealership fault!!
typical solution is used head or repair insert installation (but head has to be pulled if you do it first time)
For best results
replace spark plug on 25 C engine temp
Use 0-200 inch pounds torque wrench
CLEAN the plug gasket seal surface from deposit
Use sewer inspecting camera (or remove the wipers and cowl)
In my particular case the factory installed plug was so tight that the gasket dented aluminum on the head. The threads were good so I put new unused plug with new gasket (which will conform to the uneven surface during tightening)
Some users will laugh on my direction and then have blown plugs as well
this is why I always like old school cars

Old 08-23-2016, 04:46 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Find an indy shop to put a threaded insert in the head. Should cost a couple hundred dollars tops.

A car that old is not worth spending $2K for a new motor, and the job will most likely end up costing a lot more than that anyway.