1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

How bad is removing the engine on a 07 fit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
How bad is removing the engine on a 07 fit?

I decided that a low mileage long block might be easier than doing a head gasket in the car, especially when I add up the parts cost and the risk that the block is gone too..

I called around and got quotes on the work and got a lot of 19 to 20 hour answers.. (Book numbers I'm sure)

SO HOW bad is it?

I've pulled a 8o's sentra motor in a couple hours...
Takes me about 6 hours to have my Jeeps engine and trans out.

Is this really that bad?

Cheers
Dave

Old 11-01-2016, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Straight engine swap without any teardown or parts transfer, about 7 hours in Alldata.
Above, plus transfer parts, 8 hours.

Short or long block times are significantly higher.

Just ask about installing a used engine, don't say short block or long block.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm.. interesting, because a long block should just be a motor swap plus the parts swap (Intake and such,, ) But yea that sounds more like what I'd expect.. I assumed the parts swap because in the past Japanese used engines seldom remain the same month to month there is always some weird part thats different across the model run..

I told them it was a used engine I was planning on buying.. Of course maybe they quote high because they don't want to do a motor swap..

Old 11-02-2016, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
I told them it was a used engine I was planning on buying.. Of course maybe they quote high because they don't want to do a motor swap..
Customer wants to supply the engine?
Increase labor to compensate for lost parts sale profit.
No warranty on anything other than the engine probably won't fall out on the ground after they are done.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
LOL yep, but if it was a rebuild for instance the machine shop would get the money.. But I get why they would maybe not want to do it.. The engine warrantee is on the outfit I get the motor from and that only covers the motor..

Thats why I asked here,, I thought I might be missing something, I've run in to cars that were a SOB to take the motor out of,, but this car doesn't look that tight..

Old 11-02-2016, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
On the 07-08, I've done several head gaskets and an in-car re-ring job, but have not personally had to pull an engine out of one yet. The things have been pretty dang reliable IMO (compared to a lot of other cars).

Really it looks like it should be a cake walk to drop the whole drivetrain out the bottom onto a table, then split the engine and trans after it's out of the car.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Yea thats my plan. I'm only going with a complete used engine because I'd be 400 into the new head gasket with the machine shop time and I wouldn't know if the bottom end was good. It hit 265 when the gasket blew. I'd been fighting a leak problem and was trying to find it when it overheated.. arg. BTW if anyone is interested the little light they claim is the overheat warning light is actually the engine self distruct light.. My ultraguage had the number..

Old 11-02-2016, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
What was the temp when the red light came on?

I picked up my (girlfriends) 07 Fit for dirt cheap because it had blown the head gasket and overheated, ....

once I got it all apart I discovered it had actually broken one head bolt (a first for me)....BUT the head still measured perfectly flat and did not need to be resurfaced. I stuffed a set of rings in it and a chain, and it's back on the road with .....probably about 215k right now.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:30 AM
ive never done a fit motor swap yet but im a tech at acura and can tell you 98% of all Honda/acura motors are about the same to swap and pretty simple. take out 3-4 motor mounts unclip harness from the chassis disconnect trans and drop subframe if applicable, axels and undo knuckles and tie rods and done. most Hondas are pretty simple especially if your doing a direct swap and can be done in 5-6 hours.