1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Chris's build: The little Fit that can!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Chris's build: The little Fit that can!!

So after reading through other people's builds and gaining some great info, I thought I should post up my own. Now we all now the Fit is never going to be "fast" (unless you drop in a K, even turbo builds on the L barely hit 200HP), but as long as I can pass people on the highway (and the occasional kid in their Civic), then I'm a happy camper!!

So lets start with the base of the build..

Car: 2007 Honda Fit Sport manual
Miles: Bought it with 70K, quickly approaching 130K
Money spent: Way too much.. but why not ;-)

Go fast parts:
Intake) I've been through several intakes (DC short ram, DC cold air, Apexi power intake, and Last Station Chamber) and I must say the Last Station is my favorite, with the Apexi a close second. I feel equal power through the whole band on both, but the chamber I feel a bit more and better throttle response.

Throttle Body) I swapped out the stock throttle body for the R18 Civic throttle body (increased from 50mm bore to 55mm), the intake is bolt on and the only mods needed was longer hoses. I also added a throttle body spacer, and thermal gasket. Tough to say if it made a difference, but I do feel a difference in throttle response and acceleration.

Intake Manifold) I put in the Weapon R intake manifold and haven't looked back, I can feel the difference with the rest of my mods and it helps the engine bay look pretty

Pulleys) I swapped out the stock pulleys for a set of Ralco light weight pulleys, less weight on the crank = more HP to the wheels so worth the upgrade.

Headers) I've installed the Weapon-R 2 piece race header, and so far it's been awesome. My only issue is that a few things needed to be adjusted to make it fit properly (like removing the heat shield)

Cat) I had to remove the Megan cat-delete to install the Weapon-R header, and I was a bit nervous about what kind of noise I would get with the header and losing the resonator on the cat-delete. Luckily the resonator on the Megan mid-pipe combined with the Apexi SV exhaust has kept the noise/drone level way down.

Exhaust) I started with the DC Sports cat-back system, it's a great exhaust but had too much of a drone on the highway when combined with the rest of my parts (head ache after 5 min). I tried the exhaust with a silencer, but the exhaust never sounds as clean with a silencer. Swapped out the DC axle back with the Tanabe Concept G axle back and it eliminated the drone with out needing a silencer which was awesome. I just recently installed the Apexi SV axle back and it's almost eliminated my exhaust noise (sleeper!!!) and now that the Megan mid-pipe has been combined with the Weapon-R header and Apexi exhaust I'm happy to report that I couldn't be happier with the results. The tone is deep while at idle, but there is no drone on the highway what so ever and it my car doesn't sound like a lawn mower haha.

Clutch/Flywheel) Upgraded both to help my go-fast parts, went with an Exedy stage 1 clutch and Fidanza flywheel. The Exedy has awesome grip and feels pretty close to OEM. The flywheel has made the biggest difference in acceleration, the stock flywheel is about 18 lbs while is the Fidanza is 7!! That's a huge weight loss off the crank putting more of the horse power to the wheels.

Radiator) Upgraded to the Mishimoto aluminum radiator from the mostly plastic OEM one, definitely helps the engine run cooler.

Suspension/Shoes:

Shocks) Tokico shocks - a bit pricey, but an improvement over the KYBs

Springs) Eibach Pro - Great springs, low enough with out a ton of rub and not bouncy at all.

Front tower bar) DC Sports - awesome tower bar, it's a bit heavy but it's one solid piece (no hinges)

Rear tower bar) DME - picked it up because it was cheap, decent bar, made a little difference cornering

Rear sway bar) Progressive - Made a huge difference in cornering, pick one up if you can!

Rims) Konig Dial-in 15x7 - Great rims, and light weight at only 10.9 lbs each

Tires) Kumho Ecsta 4X II - Awesome tires, great grip in dry and wet weather

Interior:
Seat Covers) Clazzio - Awesome seat covers, went with black leather w/red stitch and I couldn't be happier

Shift Knob) DC racing knob/Mugen Red Carbon fiber - I switch back and forth between knobs, the DC is better for "spirited" driving since it's much heavier then the Mugen, but the Mugen is prettier.

Shift Boot) 06 Civic SI boot - Replaced the crappy rubber boot with a leather SI boot, having the red stitching was a nice touch

Center Console) Added an "ebay special" center console for added storage and an arm rest. The screwed in to the rear cup holder and is plenty sturdy, plus the top is black leather w/red stitch.

Steering Wheel) Stock - Left the stock steering wheel installed, but added a JDM red "H" badge, and a leather wrap w/red stitching.. (sensing a pattern yet?)

Pedals) Mugen - went with the Mugen pedals, a bit pricey but JDM bitches!!

Extras) Map Lights - Snagged the map light setup out of an 01 Accord and
wiring them to the dome light so them come on when the door opens.
LED foot well lights - As any of you know, with just a dome light our cars are dark as fuck at night, forget trying to find something you dropped on the floor, even with the dome light on.
Door sills - Added the door sills that have LEDs light up and say "Fit", they don't do much but add a little bling
JDM hazard switch - Switch is orange instead of grey.. but JDM!!

LED door sills) Installed door sills with LED "FIT" lights, wired them in to the rest of the interior lights so they come on when the door opens and fade out.

Antenna) installed a carbon fiber shark fin antenna from beatsonicusa.com, looks great and didn't lose any radio signal strength. Doesn't matter now since I don't have a car radio, but it still looks sweet!

ICE:
Head unit) Android Nexus 7 tablet - After trying several different head units (Alpine 2, Clarion 2, and Pioneer) I went with a Nexus 7 tablet and I couldn't be happier. Audio runs through a USB to a converter, then to a Clarion EQ, which sends the signal through my amps and speakers. I can play audio through the tablet while using apps (navigation, sports streaming, torque, dashcommand, etc) or I can play music from my phone or Ipod directly through the EQ. Sound is clean and I have plenty of power.

Speakers) Front - Infinity Kappa perfect 6.1 components - Great clarity, not too bright (you will need to cut away some metal to make them fit)
Rear - Alpine Type R 5 1/4 components - Great compliment to the Infinities, drilled out holes in the door covers under the locks for the tweeters. Super easy and worth it in my opinion.
Subwoofer - JL Audio CS110LG-TW1-2 - 10" sub in sealed box, 300 watts at 2ohms which is plenty in our little cars.. plus it fits under the back seat!!

Amps) speakers - JL Audio XD400/4v2 - Delivers 75 watts per channel which is plenty in our cars, It has a small foot print, plus my speakers are 100 RMS so I don't want to worry about blowing them out.
Subwoofer - JL Audio XD300/1v2 - Delivers 300 watts at 2 ohms so it's perfect for my sub, and I'm able to attach a separate control knob for easy adjustment. The benefit of both of these amp is that they aren't huge, so they attach nicely under the rear "magic" seats. No trunk space needed!

Exterior:
Wing) Carbon Fiber spoiler - Solid piece, and came cheap!

Hood) Seibon carbon fiber vented hood - Nice weight difference over stock, and it's CF so bling!

Cowel scoop) Carbon Fiber vented cowel scoop - It's carbon fiber and gets more cold air in to the engine bay.. win/win!!

Lip - Picked up a lip second hand, it looks pretty nice and does improve the down force.

Horns - Piaa high/low - Replaced the crappy stock horn with PIAA high/low horns (think WRX) and while they may not stick out like on a WRX, you definitely hear them when I honk the horn.

Rear bumper cover vent - So if you didn't know, the rear bumper acts like a huge parachute holding your car back. I installed a vent that goes along almost the entire bumper, and got an extra 5mpg because of it.. score!

So that's the bulk of my build, some parts have come and gone but the main goal has always been speed, comfort, and entertainment. Feel free to ask any questions about my build, I don't mind helping out my fellow Fit peeps.. happy driving ;-)

**UPDATE**

I got a few pics of the Apexi exhaust with the larger tip on it. Love the look and it keeps the drone to a minimum which is awesome!

I installed the Buddy Club Racing Spec Condenser III kit and I must say I'm impressed with the setup, ease of installation, and quality of the kit. It does as advertised so I can't complain. While installing this kit, I also upgraded the stock ground cable to a 4 gauge, upgraded the battery terminals, and upgraded the power wire to my amps from 8 gauge to 4 gauge with the addition of a more powerful amp for my internal speakers. Plus there is an added bonus with the buddy club unit.. it has a blue LED that is always on for a little extra engine bling.. score!!

LEDs from the kit at night

Attached Thumbnails Chris's build: The little Fit that can!!-80-engine_bay_1264c61b4cbb07596d5f45c4d36cedeeb8d142a0.jpg   Chris's build: The little Fit that can!!-80-fit2_65cce907e3cd5b99810b0c3d83e6b87f8061f15d.jpg   Chris's build: The little Fit that can!!-80-interior1_954d3a2a25d7fc56cb9e22b2798b0400dbb9f62c.jpg   Chris's build: The little Fit that can!!-80-interior2_1a944d5af82b0ef158afcca03dce536b3aecd41f.jpg   Chris's build: The little Fit that can!!-80-interior_led1_397c65025868da221af65a758d276b993db0546d.jpg  

Chris's build: The little Fit that can!!-80-interior_led2_4db179dbc7ed24915b7c22d87c7447c83ed3438b.jpg   Chris's build: The little Fit that can!!-80-usb_port_eb7b9526c1ddba8419d61ed29de24484215e22e9.jpg   Chris's build: The little Fit that can!!-80-android_dash_b17fb784622661daea929f02d53d77ffea6ecd1a.jpg   Chris's build: The little Fit that can!!-80-sub_dfcf043fab3723290fff2c0da0358b44a780dc42.jpg   Chris's build: The little Fit that can!!-80-sub_amp_183457d6739de7dd251fe9d35961eb53883e281c.jpg  

Last edited by cnordt24; 02-15-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Wow! That's some great work Chris and good photography too. Enjoy.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks!! I keep waiting to be finished, but it never happens lol

Old 12-10-2016, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cnordt24
Money spent: Way too much.. but why not ;-)
I like this guy.

Great build and great post. I have a 2013 GE and, for the first time, I am thinking of throwing on an intake of some sort. I'm sure there are a million threads on this. Guess I'll have to start my research.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
I like this guy.

Great build and great post. I have a 2013 GE and, for the first time, I am thinking of throwing on an intake of some sort. I'm sure there are a million threads on this. Guess I'll have to start my research.
Haha thanks.. Best of luck on your build, have fun with it and don't be afraid to ask questions. And always remeber to have 2 costs, how much you really spent on your car and how much your wife thinks you spent on your car lol.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Nice build. What are you doing for a tune? Do you have Hondata?

Old 12-11-2016, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
Nice build. What are you doing for a tune? Do you have Hondata?
Yeah, I have a flashpro with a tune done by Vit-tune. With out it most of these mods would be pointless.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:30 AM
very very nice. Can you post a pic of the bumper vent?

Old 12-13-2016, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by radioarno
very very nice. Can you post a pic of the bumper vent?
Sorry about the delay, had some crappy weather here over the past few days. This is the vent, I mounted it then traced the holes, took it off and cut the holes with a dremmel. I figured the added air flow could be a benefit, wasn't expecting almost 5 mpg.

Attached Thumbnails Chris's build: The little Fit that can!!-80-bumper_vent_91e3c319779c683dc192194a1e96ab8aee903c9b.jpg  
Old 12-13-2016, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
I have a GD3 that has a lot of the same stuff as you have.. I can't drive between 55 and 80 MPH without earplugs.. An Apexi exhaust controller adds some low end torque as well as toning down exhaust noise at lower RPM when the need to be stealthy is needed.. It is tiresome to drive 100 miles in and louder than my 1500cc Kawasaki Vulcan Classic sidecar rig with Vance Hines exhaust minus baffles.. I must have over $20,000 in aftermarket stuff in it.. Thanks for the info on the rear bumper...

Old 12-13-2016, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I have a GD3 that has a lot of the same stuff as you have.. I can't drive between 55 and 80 MPH without earplugs.. An Apexi exhaust controller adds some low end torque as well as toning down exhaust noise at lower RPM when the need to be stealthy is needed.. It is tiresome to drive 100 miles in and louder than my 1500cc Kawasaki Vulcan Classic sidecar rig with Vance Hines exhaust minus baffles.. I must have over $20,000 in aftermarket stuff in it.. Thanks for the info on the rear bumper...
I had the drone issue with the DC cat-back exhaust, with out the silencer in it got absolutely brutal on the highway. Even with the Megan cat delete w/resonator it just got to be too much. With the Apexi SV axle back I am barely louder then stock, but I have a feeling installing the Weapon R race headers and losing the resonator in the cat delete may change things lol. Also,do you really notice that much of a difference with the exhaust valve performance wise?

Last edited by cnordt24; 12-13-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Engine bay looks absolutely fantastic.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jazznstein
Engine bay looks absolutely fantastic.
Thanks, evn though it's a bit on the dirty side lol

Old 12-25-2016, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
Seat covers and interior lighting looks great! Way cool.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Also, I bought the same "eBay special" center console/arm rest and I love it. I like how you added the red stitching though.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by unclegibb
Also, I bought the same "eBay special" center console/arm rest and I love it. I like how you added the red stitching though.
Thanks, actually I ordered my arm rest with the red stitching. It's not always available, so you have to keep an eye out. The GD is desperate for more interior lights, at night with just a dome light you can't find shit in that car. Adding the map lights helped, but the foot well leds made the biggest difference.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:26 AM
Hey Chris, are you still running your Apexi SV exhaust on your Fit?
if so do you have any sound clips or videos? im looking at getting one but want to know what it sounds like before getting it.

thanks

Old 01-30-2017, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
Updated the post with my new exhaust and a few parts I forgot I replaced (Radiator/Door sills) and I'll have to update it again this spring when I've installed a few more goodies.. stay tuned ;-)

Last edited by cnordt24; 01-30-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member

Another fit with the Dial-ins! What size tire did you go with? I'm really considering these wheels to replace my gram lights.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari

Another fit with the Dial-ins! What size tire did you go with? I'm really considering these wheels to replace my gram lights.
They are 15x7, so I have them wrapped in 195/55R15 Kumho tires. Great grip and response, I also like the Hankook Ventus V2 concept 2 tires but the Kumhos were rated a little better and had a $75 rebate lol.

Quick Reply: Chris's build: The little Fit that can!!