1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Starter Grind When Cold Trick?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Starter Grind When Cold Trick?

So once the temps dropped this winter I started getting a grinding noise from the motor area immediately after starting only lasting a second or so. From my research this seems somewhat common on Hondas and few other makes and no one definitively has determined what it is, maybe? I have heard of people replacing their starters only to have the problem return...

Anyway, one thread I found mentioned that if you turn the key to on before starting, and then turn it back off again, and THEN start it the grinding won't happen. So far this trick has worked for me, but why?

Does anyone know the issue causing the grinding and why this trick would work?

Old 12-22-2016, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
it is the Bendix gear inside your starter, beginning to fail. You may be able to go well over a year before needing to replace it. The metallic grinding noise is quite evident during the cold months. This is common on the Denso starters on Toyota products. I let mine misbehave for over a year, mainly because it only made the noise once a month during the warm months. Once the cold returned, the grinding noise returned, and became a daily occurrence. As for the noise returning despite replacing the starter, my starter was replaced about 3 years ago. I recently began to hear the noise once in a while despite now living in warm weather year round.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:36 PM
jond63 The trick doesn't work. I have tried it many times, many ways. It doesn't work. It's nonsense. The idea is that it builds up the oil pressure. Why oil pressure would affect the bendix gear is a good question. It's nonsense. Go with what burntZ writes.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jond63
a grinding noise from the motor area immediately after starting only lasting a second or so.
Is your car a 2015 or 2016?

I know this was posted in 1st gen, but I gotta ask.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by radioarno
jond63 The trick doesn't work. I have tried it many times, many ways. It doesn't work. It's nonsense. The idea is that it builds up the oil pressure. Why oil pressure would affect the bendix gear is a good question. It's nonsense. Go with what burntZ writes.
It is working on mine though. It got down to 19 which is cold for here and no grind.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
Is your car a 2015 or 2016?

I know this was posted in 1st gen, but I gotta ask.
It is a 2008 model, but from what I have read many current models still have this problem.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BurntZ
it is the Bendix gear inside your starter, beginning to fail. You may be able to go well over a year before needing to replace it. The metallic grinding noise is quite evident during the cold months. This is common on the Denso starters on Toyota products. I let mine misbehave for over a year, mainly because it only made the noise once a month during the warm months. Once the cold returned, the grinding noise returned, and became a daily occurrence. As for the noise returning despite replacing the starter, my starter was replaced about 3 years ago. I recently began to hear the noise once in a while despite now living in warm weather year round.
Someone on another forum said theirs has been doing it five years and no issues. Some said Honda says it's normal. I don't know, this Honda seems a different breed from the ones I've had in the past. Just as long as it doesn't leave me on the side of the road...

Old 12-23-2016, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
If it starts grinding again I probably should replace it I guess since I bought it used last fall and don't know that history... only 65k and lots of little issues for a Honda.

Last edited by jond63; 12-23-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:15 PM
Sounds like the bendix isn't engaging fully. Either the starter is going like BurntZ said or it's not properly aligned. The latter would be unusual in the cold, unless there's a loose bolt. That's unlikely but good luck figuring it out.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
My wife's CRV does the same thing.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Is the grinding noise the same as (mistakenly) trying to start an already-started motor?

Old 12-25-2016, 01:14 AM
the denso starter is known for the bendix failing, in hondas and toyotas.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Yes Kinosh, the sound is exactly as if the car was already started and you mistakenly turned the key to start it again. I don't believe I have ever read any stories of people ever getting stranded by the bendix gear causing a total failure of the starter, but I'm sure given enough time, it will. Starters don't cost all that much, so don't put it off too long.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
This is the noise. My 2009 Fit does not do it but my wife's 2014 CRV does.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
This is the noise. My 2009 Fit does not do it but my wife's 2014 CRV does.
^Video sounds like VTC actuator rattle.

There is a TSB for 15-16 Fit for this noise (VTC actuator rattle upon startup), recently issued in mid-November. (that's why I asked what year the OPs car was earlier)

There's other TSBs on the VTC actuator for 4 cylinder engines in 08-12 Accord, 12-14 CRV, 12-15 Crosstour,

VIN breaks may apply, and since it's an internal engine part the replacement could be covered under the 5/60 (USA) powertrain warranty so inquire with your dealership.

There should be more TSBs coming soon for 15-16 CRV, 13-16 Accord, after updated parts become available.

HTH

Old 12-26-2016, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Well, the "fine" mechanics at my local GM dealership also thought my noise was the camshaft timing actuator. Replaced it for free under power train warranty. However, the noise continued. It ended up being the Denso starter (bendix gear). I will admit that the noise on the video does NOT sound like the one second metallic grind of the bendix gear (like trying to start your car when it is already started). The noise posted sounds much more muted and does not happen the moment the engine starts. This noise is a bit delayed after startup.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:03 PM
agreed, BurntZ. The noise mine makes is not delayed, and is higher pitched. BurntZ, do you have understanding of the bendix and why it may act up more in the cold when it starts to fail?

Old 12-26-2016, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
I won't try to impress you with what I DON'T know. On our Toyota pages, I thought I read one time that the noise had to do with the bendix gear not spinning at a synchronized speed with the other mechanical parts inside. Sounds like "blender logic" to me. While Denso products are normally touted by mechanics as some of the best, this bendix gear issue seems to plague the Denso brand in particular. Lots of grinding noise posts in the Toyota Corolla/Matrix/Vibe chat pages.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
mine's been doing this for over a year... i'm at 156k so i'm going to replace the starter soon anyway...

anyone have preferences on a brand of starter they DO like?

Old 12-28-2016, 02:48 PM
Smile grinding when cold.

Hello it might be because of your starter get dirty inside of it and the drive Bendix might not fully engage, I would recommend don't it let goes too long with this matter it will damage your car ring gears.

Quick Reply: Starter Grind When Cold Trick?