1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

? about headlight recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
? about headlight recall

Do both lowbeams go out or can just one ?

I have one lowbeam just go out recently... anyway to know if it's the bulb or related to the recall. I know it's supposed to be a pain to change..

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Bulbs are not recalled. The recall covers connection at headlight switch. IIRC, one off the wires pulls on the terminal when steering wheel is tilted frequently, this causes weak connection and melting of the terminal cavity

Old 01-14-2017, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
A single headlight not working is usually just a bulb burned out.

The recall issue would affect both low beams at the same time.
The recall repair: The gauge of one wire (for the low beams) was changed to prevent overheating and subsequent heat damage to the terminal(s) of the wire and headlight switch.

Check your VIN for incomplete recalls at recalls.honda.com

Old 01-14-2017, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
A single headlight not working is usually just a bulb burned out.

The recall issue would affect both low beams at the same time.
The recall repair: The gauge of one wire (for the low beams) was changed to prevent overheating and subsequent heat damage to the terminal(s) of the wire and headlight switch.

Check your VIN for incomplete recalls at recalls.honda.com
Thanks- that is what I needed to know!

Old 01-15-2017, 06:05 PM
It does sound like a bulb.

I suggest replacing both while you're at it, since the other bulb is very likely quite close to the end of its life also. They're identical bulbs to start with, and they've had identical service lives.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by DrewE
It does sound like a bulb.

I suggest replacing both while you're at it, since the other bulb is very likely quite close to the end of its life also. They're identical bulbs to start with, and they've had identical service lives.

I always do this, lots of times I do it with many other car parts, ex: brake calipers, wheel bearings, valve cover gaskets.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
I am off today so will give it a try ..thanks

Old 01-16-2017, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
So far no go..

It is very difficult to reach the bulb and there is some sort of proprietary clip/wire holding the bulb in the assembly.

I am wondering if this would easier to remove the whole headlight assembly? Anyone try it like that?

Now i know why people hate proprietary headlights..some chevy trucks have the same problem.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HondaGuy
So far no go..

It is very difficult to reach the bulb and there is some sort of proprietary clip/wire holding the bulb in the assembly.

I am wondering if this would easier to remove the whole headlight assembly? Anyone try it like that?

Now i know why people hate proprietary headlights..some chevy trucks have the same problem.
Raise front of car if needed
turn steering wheel in or out as needed
pull inner fender liner back, stick your arm in, to access the headlight bulb

Old 01-16-2017, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
I finally got the bulb out but now can;t get it back in because of the proprietary clip. I still wonder if it would not be easier to just remove the whole headlight assembly?

I could put it together like it is, but not sure if the rubber boot would be enough to hold it in place.

going back outside to try some more...

I am NOT going to replace the other side till it needs it..as this is a bs design on Honda's part.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Finally got the clip in, then the boot gave me trouble as the inner part kept covering up part of the bulb's terminals.

I was about to cut the inner part open to make it fit but kept trying and about 4 attempts later, finally got it. Man I miss the days when you went down to the parts store and replaced the whole light assembly and were done with it.

Still this is the only real problem I have had with the car so I can't complain too much.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
now can;t get it back in because of the proprietary clip.

Finally got the clip in
Oh, it's got one of those dang things. Didn't realize that a while ago. (I might be in 50 different cars every week, it's hard to remember which ones have what)

If you've never dealt with one before, it's a huge PITA to try to figure it out by feel the first time, and easy to screw it up.

Those would be much easier to deal with if you could actually see what the heck you are trying to do with it.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:09 PM
There are instructions in the owner's manual (at least for the GE8 there are). At least on the GE8, you can see a tiny corner of the clip from the front of the light assembly to help get it in position.