1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2007 Fit Sport - Replacement Transponder Key Information

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 09:31 PM
2007 Fit Sport - Replacement Transponder Key Information

I bought an 07 Fit Sport a few weeks ago and it only came with one key. This is what I have learned.

The 2007 and 2008 sport use different immobilizers but use the same frequency remote.

Only the RFID chips differ.

The 2007 uses an 8E glass chip while the 2008 uses the more common ID46 chip.

I purchased two keys from eBay (china seller) and the listing said the keys were specific to the 2007 Fit Sport w/ 8E chip.

I opened the keys that came from eBay and the keyless remote said " G8D-384H-A" but my original key says OUCG8D-380H-A. I feared that it would not work and programming would not be possible. I found instructions on programming the remote the same night and paired the remote keyless entry fine.

From what I gather, OUCG8D / G8D is the frequency, and 380/384 numbers identity how many buttons are on the remote. The remote I purchased has Lock + Unlock + Panic aka 2+1 button remote BUT it does have a pushable button for the Trunk release but is not functional as the remote casing does not have the exterior physical button.

I then went to a local locksmith to have the keys cut for $25 each and then $45 each for RFID pairing but he was not able to do it without telling me why. After numerous attempts, he gave up and I was on my way with two keys that would not start the car.

I found a second locksmith who has a 5* rating on yelp. He put my original key in his machine and it showed that the RFID tag is chip 8E. Cool. He then put in the eBay keys and immediately saw that the chip was ID46 and said they would not be able to pair the keys.

He had plenty of the ID46 chips but no 8E chips. I contacted the eBay seller and sent them a picture of the keys I received and he said they had sent me the wrong keys. They are sending me just the 8E replacement chips today which look different.

the ID46 chip looks like very tiny brick and the 8E looks like a medicine pill made of glass.

As of today, I am waiting for the replacement chips and will be visiting the locksmith again.

The second locksmith charges $60 to program up to three transponder chips, wheres the first guy charges $45 each.

Also, there are two ways to program keys. The OEM way is to PAIR the key to the vehicle, and the "aftermarket" way is to CLONE the original working key, to the new ones.

I believe that the locksmith can do it both ways depending on your situation.

UPDATE 03/22/17
Comparison. ID46 vs ID8E.
I am going to the locksmith to have the chips programmed to the car later today.
Name:  qo7I9EB.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  3.10 MB
Name:  sD820OR.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  1.22 MB

UPDATE 03/18/17
The 8E chips came. Here is what they look like.
Name:  JoGVFiX.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  503 Bytes

Last edited by Metadata; 03-22-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Good info, thanks!

I wish our shop had something that could ID the various RFID chips in our inventory of keys.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Can you PM me the seller/item on ebay? Thanks!

Old 03-10-2017, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
As far as I've been able to find,, for an 07 the only thing that can pair a new non cloned key is the honda dealer computer.. so cloning is the only option without the replacement of the receiver in the steering column and a new set of keys..

Old 03-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by fittenmittens
Can you PM me the seller/item on ebay? Thanks!
In eBay, search for Honda fit 8e key. There are some US sellers but they charge about $30. If you aren't in a rush, the ones that come from China are $11-12

Old 03-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
As far as I've been able to find,, for an 07 the only thing that can pair a new non cloned key is the honda dealer computer.. so cloning is the only option without the replacement of the receiver in the steering column and a new set of keys..
I see. Is there any disadvantage of cloning versus pairing a new key using HDS at the dealership?

Old 03-11-2017, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Metadata
I see. Is there any disadvantage of cloning versus pairing a new key using HDS at the dealership?
For the user, no obvious disadvantage. IMO.

For the next dealer tech using the dealers HDS scanner who tries to do any repairs (immobilizer and/or PCM related) requiring programming using the existing keys (including the cloned key), it could become a little confusing. A sharp tech with working brain cells should be able to figure it out, but others may give up as soon as the process doesn't go as expected.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:32 PM
The 8E chips arrived!

Name:  JoGVFiX.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  503 Bytes

Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM
I am going to the locksmith to have the chips programmed to the car later today.
Name:  qo7I9EB.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  3.10 MB
Name:  sD820OR.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  1.22 MB

Old 03-22-2017, 02:38 PM
Just had the keys paired to the car. I now have three working keys! (I only received one key when I purchased the car last month)

Old 03-22-2017, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
So what process actually took place?
Were the two new keys individually registered to the car, or were the two new 8E chips cloned to match the one original key you received?

Old 03-22-2017, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
So what process actually took place?
Were the two new keys individually registered to the car, or were the two new 8E chips cloned to match the one original key you received?
I am not exactly sure what the locksmith did.

He plugged a unit into the OBDII port, put the original key in, and did some on-off sequence according to the computer plugged in, and then switched to each of the new keys until the computer told him it was done.

Maybe it was cloned?

Old 03-22-2017, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member

He plugged a unit into the OBDII port, put the original key in, and did some on-off sequence according to the computer plugged in, and then switched to each of the new keys until the computer told him it was done.

Maybe it was cloned?
Ah, I see.
You described the procedure for registering keys to the car using a scantool.

The car would probably not be needed if he were making clones of an original key transponder.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
Ah, I see.
You described the procedure for registering keys to the car using a scantool.

The car would probably not be needed if he were making clones of an original key transponder.
Yea maybe it was actually "paired" and not "cloned".

Who knows what the disadvantages of either method is. There probably isn't enough people who have aftermarket keys who had to have something fixed at the dealership and something questionable popped up.

Only time will tell I guess, but I am happy to have at least two spare keys now!

Old 04-20-2018, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member

Maybe it was cloned?
From your description of the process, the locksmith just registered the new key chip with the immobilizer computer in the car.