Loud thumping noise when braking. NO HELP from stealership on resolving problem

Old 03-26-2008, 02:03 AM
Loud thumping noise when braking. NO HELP from stealership on resolving problem

We were at a stop light and I was slowly creeping up as traffic moved slowly and a very loud crack came from underneath the car. After that whenever I brake as I come down the hill there's a loud thumping coming from the driver side front wheel well. Took it back three times to the stealership:

1. Could not replicate problem - probably a rock stuck in the caliper

OK, sounds reasonable, but the noise is still there when I drive it so back it goes. I understand that brake dust/squeals do occur. This is a low and loud thumping sound that comes as I apply brakes coming down the hill.

2. Rotors are warped. The dealership notices where I live and says the hill really drives heat into the rotors and they'll warp. Machine them under warranty

Possibly, but I haven't had this problem for over a year and 13K. The very next day coming down the hill same worrisome mechanical thumping sound that has me worried about my safety.

3. Video tape the noise and is clearly audible in the tape as I brake from 60km/hr and indicate how to replicate the noise since they were unable to hear it. My wife drives it mostly and she gets the same noise and we drive very differently. Road test with mechanic- he hears the noise and leave the car with them. I pick it up after Service closes and this is what they wrote:

"Noise when brakes overheated. Techline (Ivan) file #2581665 Noise is from rotors not being able to handle heat generated from excessive braking. During road test with customer, downhill speed was excessive and customer was hard on the brakes. Speed will need to be controlled and allow brakes to cool while descending"

WTF?? I'm going 60 km/hr - the speed limit and I'm braking because I'm going downhill! Am I supposed to pull the chute to slow down? It's a Fit Sport Automatic so he wants my wife to use the S mode to gear down to use engine braking? This is a serious mechanical/safety issue and they basically are saying it's my fault for living on top a hill and having to brake to slow down from the speed limit. What is going to happen when I'm on the highway and I have to brake fast and hard?

I'm at a loss on what this could be? A broken wheel stud? ABS sensor gone awry? I'm not bringing it back to the useless wankers at Westwood Honda in Port Moody BC Canada - That was insulting and I'm going to send them a nice letter and to Honda Canada about this problem. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?

Any advice is appreciated

Old 03-26-2008, 02:14 AM
i know exactly what you are talking about. it sounds like a loud crack, i get it sometimes in the mornings

Old 03-26-2008, 02:20 AM
Thumbs down

It isn't the ABS check it does as you first put into gear. This is a thumping banging noise as I brake usually coming down the hill. I'm really at a loss at what could be causing this and I'm concerned about the safety of it having something wrong with the brakes. Westwood Honda were useless and I'm not bringing it to where they do not listen to the customer. I'm not a high maintenance owner. I'm not going to complain about brake squeal or squeaks in the interior. This is a mechanical safety issue and they are not addressing it.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:06 AM
I had the same problem when I had my 07 fit. It did it once or twice before I even hit 1000 miles. I parked backwards downhill with the engine being cold, I quickly shifted to D. I hear a big banging sound. The second time it happened was when I was parked in the garage backwards. I shifted the same way and BANG again. After that I never did it again. My advice is to videotape yourself parked backwards facing downward on the ramp while it's cold and shift to D really fast holding down the brakes. It might replicate the problem. BTW, my 07 got rear ended an totalled, so I don't have to worry about that anymore. But I did noticed something with the 08. When I switch out my wheels, I crank the back left wheel pretty hard and it sounded like a mini-bang. Same sound, but the big one sounded like it was coming from front. So far, no such incident with my 08. *CROSSING MY FINGERS*

Old 03-26-2008, 09:16 PM
I am really sorry to hear all of that. I would like to help or contribute to the trouble shooting so here goes (sorry if this is of absolutely no help...)

-I had a very strong and audible thumping/shudder in my old civic when a mechanic forgot to tighten a caliper bolt and it was working its way off. It happened under different circumstances than yours anyway though.

- Under hard braking in both of my old Civics there was a shudder. Or prolonged braking down hill (even if not fast...but just long duration...It was most likely riding the brakes)

- In my Fit the brakes do a quick shudder/thumping that is felt and heard if I hit a bump (mostly speed bumps) while on the brake. Is it possible that you might be hitting a bump while going down the hill while on the brakes?....oh speaking of which, I really need to tell my dealer about that one...whooops!

-Was that crack sound possibly a "snap" of the calipers adjusting? I have heard that on all of my previous hondas including this fit (but not as much on the fit, but I also don't use nearly as heavily the brakes on the Fit compared to my older cars)

-Could it be possibly a worn or broken suspension component? Which when going down hill with the brakes engaged meets a certain resonance and the thumping/shudder occurs.

-Could that "crack" sound have come from the transmission shifting back to 1st? (crudely of course)

-what about a blown/faulty/worn strut?

-should I shut up while I am behind?

I doubt that any of this ^^^ helps but...ya never know, much stranger things have happened...
good luck on resolving this

Old 03-26-2008, 10:03 PM
I haven't heard a loud crack or thud, but the brakes are definitely weird sometimes. Often while turning into our driveway and braking they do some weird adjusting - like they grab, then don't grab and make some small noises. It also happens at the first stop sign in the mornings.
'Sounds like Honda's brakes aren't the best.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Squirrely
I haven't heard a loud crack or thud, but the brakes are definitely weird sometimes. Often while turning into our driveway and braking they do some weird adjusting - like they grab, then don't grab and make some small noises. It also happens at the first stop sign in the mornings.
'Sounds like Honda's brakes aren't the best.
sounds like abs

Old 03-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by SPON FIT
sounds like abs
Are you saying it's normal abs noise? Or ABnormal?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
I am really sorry to hear all of that. I would like to help or contribute to the trouble shooting so here goes (sorry if this is of absolutely no help...)

-I had a very strong and audible thumping/shudder in my old civic when a mechanic forgot to tighten a caliper bolt and it was working its way off. It happened under different circumstances than yours anyway though.

- Under hard braking in both of my old Civics there was a shudder. Or prolonged braking down hill (even if not fast...but just long duration...It was most likely riding the brakes)

- In my Fit the brakes do a quick shudder/thumping that is felt and heard if I hit a bump (mostly speed bumps) while on the brake. Is it possible that you might be hitting a bump while going down the hill while on the brakes?....oh speaking of which, I really need to tell my dealer about that one...whooops!

-Was that crack sound possibly a "snap" of the calipers adjusting? I have heard that on all of my previous hondas including this fit (but not as much on the fit, but I also don't use nearly as heavily the brakes on the Fit compared to my older cars)

-Could it be possibly a worn or broken suspension component? Which when going down hill with the brakes engaged meets a certain resonance and the thumping/shudder occurs.

-Could that "crack" sound have come from the transmission shifting back to 1st? (crudely of course)

-what about a blown/faulty/worn strut?

Only occurs when braking. Not during turns. That would be an Nissan Altima trait - not a Honda Fit!!!

-should I shut up while I am behind?

I doubt that any of this ^^^ helps but...ya never know, much stranger things have happened...
good luck on resolving this

The Fit only has 12,000 km (7000 miles) so I don't think the rotors are out of round. That's the first thing the dealer did,was machine the rotors, but the noise continued.

The road goes down hill for about 2 miles and it's paved. It's not hitting a bump while braking. It sounds like it's banging into something every rotation, but only when I apply the brakes. It only really comes up right at the end when you're depressing right into the brakes. My wife does (but I don't) ride the brakes. I use it to brake and slow down, not for a sense of security. But it happens to her as well as me.

No, it's not transmission related. The thumping comes from the driver front wheel well only when the brakes are applied.

Thanks for your help. I have videotaped it and will show it to the mechanic at the dealership.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToFit2Quit
I had the same problem when I had my 07 fit. It did it once or twice before I even hit 1000 miles. I parked backwards downhill with the engine being cold, I quickly shifted to D. I hear a big banging sound. The second time it happened was when I was parked in the garage backwards. I shifted the same way and BANG again. After that I never did it again. My advice is to videotape yourself parked backwards facing downward on the ramp while it's cold and shift to D really fast holding down the brakes. It might replicate the problem. BTW, my 07 got rear ended an totalled, so I don't have to worry about that anymore. But I did noticed something with the 08. When I switch out my wheels, I crank the back left wheel pretty hard and it sounded like a mini-bang. Same sound, but the big one sounded like it was coming from front. So far, no such incident with my 08. *CROSSING MY FINGERS*
Your banging sound is caused by the locking shaft in the transmission when you put your car in park. Generally if you park at an incline, the weight of the car is leaning on the shaft, adding pressure. Therefore when you shift to a gear, it will make that noise. Over time it'll put wear and tear on that shaft. When parking, instead of just throwing it into park, do this: park the car with your foot planted on the brake. Throw the gear in park and pull up the e-brake. Then e=let go of the brakes. That way all the weight and pressure is on the brakes. When you're ready to leave, just reverse the order. It doesn't matter how big or small the incline is. Any unleveled surface will cause this. So just make it a habit of pulling the e-brake.

As for the noise from the brakes, i have no clue.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Squirrely
Are you saying it's normal abs noise? Or ABnormal?
sounds normal to me